The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: January 2015 Maine Ocean Acidification Final Report  (Read 526 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
January 2015 Maine Ocean Acidification Final Report
« on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:58 PM »
The State is taking this seriously. This is from a  bi-partisan commission.
Pretty lengthy report. Includes recommendations.

http://www.maine.gov/legis/opla/Oceanacidificationreport.pdf
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: January 2015 Maine Ocean Acidification Final Report
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:37 PM »
I hope they take a serious stand . And take  a forward stance. I have wondered how to address such a complex change .What could one do dump a lot of loads of soda ash in all major tributaries . In Canada they had huge forest fires in and around the large areas that were cut off fires. That  helped reduce the decaying process and  reduce the large amount of  phosphorus  running into the watershed.  Acid increase is happening all the time . Loss of native bait fish ,White fish, Smelts and other sensitive species  has been an indication of the process .Also the dying of our trees Spruce , Sugar maples . The trees probably effected more from acid fall out from coal fired smoke stacks west of Maine. They should not wait any longer or it all will  be lost forever.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Looked like a lot of words from politicians simply repeating what others have already said ending with the usual," more commitees
and more studies needed ." And while you are at it crush up some clam shells to throw on the flats because the population of the
world is increasing leaps and bounds and there is no way the production of CO2 is going to be curtailed in the near future, maybe
not until the world runs out of oil and coal.

Offline 44 Degrees North

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2015, 02:51 AM »
I don't know anything about ocean acidification but I do know there has been more salt water ice around and some of it pretty heavy this year. Hopefully them damn little green crabs are dieing by the millions.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:01 AM »
I don't know anything about ocean acidification but I do know there has been more salt water ice around and some of it pretty heavy this year. Hopefully them damn little green crabs are dieing by the millions.

Frozen waves in Nantucket .

Offline DukHuntr22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:45 AM »
Maybe instead of focusing on just coal plants maybe we need to look at all of the building around shorelines and the use of fertilizers on their lawns.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.