Author Topic: Front range ice again?  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Front range ice again?
« on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:55 AM »
What do ya think?
The next day above freezing will be Monday, and it will only reach the 30s.  Lows each night in the single digits and teens.  Not talking about the bigger reservoirs, but might be able to walk on some ponds again.  Hmmm...
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Front range ice again?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:11 PM »
cross the fingers... the forcast looks to be chance of snow thru weekend and into next week... while i live in the mts. I was hoping to get a few days down on the frontrange this year?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Got some peeps checking as we type- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:51 PM »
Got some peeps checking as we type- ;)

Let bassman and I know if you get some intel.  Saw that talk on the perch spot.  I was wondering the same thing.  I hiked in there a month ago and it had some thick ice in the back.  Nailed the perch and suckers.  Yesterday morning a deeper pond in Longmont was wide open.  A shallower one was fully capped but ice didn't look so good.  Big roll of the dice for this weekend.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:12 PM »
Some gravel pits by Chatty are wide open as of right now.  So they're out for Sat.

Its looking like only chance is the jiz-

Although the main body was wide open as of last Tuesday.

But they didnt go any farther than the dam- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Definitely want to avoid I-70 this weekend. Hoping for local somewhere. 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:37 PM »
There is ice in Newbraska and Kansass-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:10 PM »
Don't tempt me Slayer....Glen Elder is calling my name!!! We got stuck in Hays last time overnight bc of the roads.  Not fun.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:17 PM »
Im intently watching CC, but so far, just a little skim ice on west side.  Really don't think its going to make any fishable ice, at least for me.
Bud

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Snow on top will not help the cause, let me know what ya find out. Haven't had a jiz fix yet this year  :o

VERY little snow up that way. ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2015, 12:15 PM »
I am going to give it a try next weekend...give it another full week of freeze before I venture out

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Ice continues to grow at Cherry Creek.  First ice near the west and south shore is a couple of inches in spots.  Today the is skim ice on the north and east sides with the west side skim extending from the first ice to nearly the middle of lake. Still open water in the center but expect a full cap by the weekend.

Now it is NOT ice fishable yet so if you are tempted to go out, wait until at least Sunday and bring a spud, life jacket and friend with a rope.  Pack a blanket and change of clothes if you venture on anything less than 3 inches.  DON'T BE STUPID or a candidate for the Darwin award.  Stay safe and stay tuned for re updates. :o

Offline Kinosao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2015, 01:06 PM »
If anyone is going to fish cherry creek Sunday, if its fishable, let me know would love to meet you out there.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Working at Gander all day Sunday
Bud

Offline Kinosao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:52 PM »
Any new reports? Anyone think there will be a chance to fish it tomorrow? Sunday?

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Got a call from Mountain Maggot, this morning,  said he found 2 inches under the white along the west edge of CC, otherwise only 1 inch on the skim ice.
Bud

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2015, 05:42 PM »
The complete cap on CC this morning opened in a small part of the middle of the lake by noon.  New ice on the east shore and near the tower is one inch so don't even think about venturing out there for a few cold days.  Again...the only chance in the next few days is on the west side coves were the top of the ice is white.  This white is melted snow atop 2 inch clear ice.  If it makes it to 3 inches tomorrow, it would be worth checking out with caution but if it still is 2 inches, wait a bit.  Be safe.

BTW...boat ramp will not open tomorrow or for awhile according to the rangers unless you have an ice boat.  While most doubted we would see another front range freeze...most would not have guessed that we wouldn't have beat a 105 year record for the most snow in Denver for the month of February.  Stayed tuned and DO NOT FISH ALONE or without a life jacket, hand spikes, a rope to shore and a spud for confirming the thickness before you venture forward. :o

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:44 PM »
^5 Mountain Maggot, good advise.
Bud

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:58 PM »
Checked Atown by sight sunday.  No freekin way you gonna get out there.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:13 PM »
Nice! Those fish will be good and hungry by the start of boating season  ;)

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Checked ice thickness again today at CC.  West shore especially in the coves has 3-3.5 inches and most of the east and north side has 2 inches of unsafe ice.  There was open water mostly in the very center to a finger on the east shore extending south due to wind action.  However suspect that the open water will have skim ice in the morning.

Just because you can stand on the ice, don't assume it is safe.  Don' t venture on to any ice without safety/rescue equipment and a SPUD to check thickness before your next step.

Offline Kinosao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:38 PM »
thanks for the update! I am thinking of trying to get out there tomorrow morning

Offline Kinosao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:34 PM »
Fished Chatfield today fished the north east part of the lake not too far from the picnic tables.  Ice was not as thick as I would have been comfortable with around 2-2.5 inch I'd say, I was pretty careful testing each step, pretty much kept my ice ax lanyard around my wrist all day.  Didn't need to put the power head on the propane auger, Ice ax worked fine for making holes, the west half of the lake was open water.  Fished from 10:30 am to 5:30pm at around 4;30 caught my only fish of the day 15" trout.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:19 AM »
Well with the temps of the next couple days, it should be able to withstand day time warm ups.  Sounds like you are doing the right things to ensure you don't due the polar plunge.  Continue to be ultra careful and fish with a friend if possible.    :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.