Author Topic: Looking to buy used Marcum flasher today - Should I buy used??  (Read 4019 times)

Offline tightlinesct

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm looking to buy a 2-year old Marcum LX-3TC flasher today.  This is my first piece of electronics for ice fishing, so I'm new to this.

I cant afford to buy new, so is used OK?

Also, if anyone suggests against the Marcum LX-3TC, let me know and why.

Thanks in advance!!!  ;)

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

should be the same principle as stated above .

of course any cosmetic defeats ...Cable slices/repairs ...knobs missing ...etc all indicts misuse

the user manual may be of help

http://marcumtech.com/~marcum/media/pdfs/LX3tc.pdf
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Eyeballer860

• IceShanty Rookie
My first flasher was the marcum lx3, it worked well for about 3/4 of the ice season and then I started having problems with the screen bouncing around on its own... Took it back to cabelas and returned it and got another one, same unit, next season same problem... Took that back and got the vexilar fl18 ultra pack, awesome unit, very durable and accurate. Your probly better off buying new in my opinion, good luck!

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
cabelas has  flashers on sale 25 % off right now check them out

Offline tightlinesct

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for all of the advice!  I've been keeping an eye on Cabelas and others and you can't really get out of there without dropping at least $400 (even with the sales).  This one is $250, so I figured I would at least have something to start with in my price range.

If used is no good, I may hold off.  I hate wasting $$$ on inferior products.  I'm also pretty weary about buying used electronics, but I've been hot to get a flasher for some time now.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking to buy used Marcum flasher today - Should I buy used??
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:33 AM »
I got my humming bird Ice-35 for $250 2 years ago so keep and eye on it , you may need to go to the store, but the flyer in todays hartford current is showing the sale

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:51 PM »
I've got a MarCum Lx-3tc, had it for a little over a year now, no issues, but it is my first finder, so don't have much of a comparison. Did use a showdown previously, but borrowed, and I like the Marc much better. I take care of mine (travels in the truck cab, try not to get it wet/iced/dropped/dragged and so on) and so far it's a performer. I would say if you look at the unit and it has any sign of wear, be suspicious. I did my research on Marc's before I bought mine, a fine unit, good battery life, and good gain control...but I wouldn't thrash it around much. I'd say $250 is good for a near mint model, but hardly a bargain for a gamble on sensitive electronics.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline Snotts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Going on my 4th season with Marcum Lx-3tc no issues to speak of, good starter flasher if it was taken care of.

Offline livetoicefish90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish and fish to live. It's my way of life
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:19 PM »
I started with the vexlar 18 and it was a nice unit and I enjoyed it but once I tried out my buddies marcum I was sold. I have the lx3 and lx5. The lx3 is going on 3 years and the lx 5 is going on 1 and a half and I haven't had a single issue yet. Great units I strongly recommend getting it but everyone has the own opinons and like different units for different reason so your gonna have to play around with certain ones and see what you like best

Offline rj1623

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:08 PM »
  Just got my lx6 in today can't wait to use it this weekend. Let's see the diffrences between humminbird and marcum. Also there's always the showdown. Or a humminbird.

Offline palmerjp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:52 AM »
bought a used lx-5 off these forums last season.  i was worried about it especially since it arrived after the ice was out - but it works awesome.

Offline livetoicefish90

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Rj let me know how the lx6 is im thinking of getting that or the lx7 next year

Offline rj1623

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I will let you know only diffrences between the 2 are screen size and target adjust diffrence. Actually the lx6 and 7 are both advertised wrong the screen for 6 measures 5.75 and the 7 is 7.75 inch. Thinking outside screen took up a quarter inch during assembly. Is 2 things worth 100 dollar diffrence?

Offline jmorain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:08 PM »
Bought my lx5 used from Craigslist. I'm 4 years in and 1 replacement ducer and a new battery.
I would look it over, but wouldn't be frightened off by used.

Offline livetoicefish90

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2015, 02:52 AM »
I really don't think 100$ difference is that bad, that's why I am thinking of just getting the lx7

Offline tightlinesct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:44 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys! I decided to pass on the used marcum & save up for something new next year. That Humminbird Ice 35 or 45 looks like it may be the way to go.

Thank you for getting back and tight lines out there!

Offline rosie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:47 PM »
I bought a new hummingbird 55 for a few season now I love it, lot of nice features. I tried use, it didn't work out. Only if the guy is  honest with you, but   why he selling it. Good luck

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:33 AM »
maybe he was just selling it because he upgraded to a lx7 and didnt need a lx3 anymore.thats ok go pay full price for the same unit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.