Author Topic: Keeping my Lowrance 4x HDI reading properly during the day...  (Read 820 times)

Offline ahalls

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi. I have started using my Lowrance 4X HDI this winter ( have previously just used in on my boat) - paired with the ice kit from Lowrance that comes with the ice transducer. My issue seems to be that when i get the settings right to see my jig, the bottom and fish - it doesn't  seem to "hold" even though I am using the same hole for a big chunk of the day. I find it is working well for a while- then I seem to lose the clarity/signal and have to play around with my sensitivity and colour line in an attempt to get it "back". It seems quite inconsistent. I'm most often fishing in 60-110 FOW.  Wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if anyone has any tips or advice? I'm an admitted amateur at setting up a FF for ice fishing... Thanks!

Offline Pantucci

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Keeping my Lowrance 4x HDI reading properly during the day...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:06 AM »
I use the same FF, with the ice transducer.  I've had it go a little wonky now and again, sometimes the transducers get jostled -- I just pulled up the transducer and repositioned it, that seemed to do the trick. 

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:23 AM »
make sure auto depth is turned off if possible...that should help. Bouncing the transducer a couple of times always works

Catchin' Fish

Offline ahalls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:20 PM »
thanks for the tips guys- will keep them in mind when next out.....

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:29 PM »
If there's any current, it might not be in the cone. Some have posted to drill a hole a little ahead of flow  and put transducer there to maintain a reading under those conditions.  Even the slightest flow could produce that effect in deeper water.  Also, the flutter of spoon, jig, etc. might take it out of the cone which could also produce a negative read... Especially if there's a lot of action. I don't fish that deep, so just sharing others advice.

Offline Channel Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2015, 04:47 AM »
Ive had similar problems with my Humminbirds.  What I noticed when fishing the same hole for a long time and if melting ice/snow was flowing into the hole the transducer was in, it would eventually lose the return signal, even pushing sensitivity to max didn't help to see the jig or fish.  If I stirred the hole with my skimmer to get colder water into the hole it would work better for a while.  I figure that the problem is caused by the change in water density between the melting water flowing into the hole and colder water below.  So now I do what I can to minimize ice melt from flowing into the transducer hole.  I drill 2 holes side by side and fish the hole next to my heater, transducer in the hole farthest away from the heater.  Seems to help, however once we get into the warmer weather coming soon and the surface starts thawing and flowing into the hole, all bets are off.  Just keep stirring the hole or get the transducer way below the ice where it will be less affected by the warmer water above.

Offline ahalls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2015, 11:23 AM »
thanks for the continuing suggestions guys. will put them to use when next out...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.