The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Upstream canoeing  (Read 857 times)

Offline HTguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Upstream canoeing
« on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:52 PM »
(I know I should be posting this on the open-water board, but it is so inactive)  This spring/summer I am going to try and go up some shallow rivers in a canoe and will have to get out and wade/drag/carry several times.  I don't want to damage the canoe on the rocks.  Any ideas for not damaging it while moving it upstream?

Offline phatptrck1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Upstream canoeing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:42 PM »
Depends how far you have to go and whether or not your fishing with someone else. 2 ppl. ? Carry. Solo? Depends on you and the canoe.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:41 PM »
(I know I should be posting this on the open-water board, but it is so inactive)  This spring/summer I am going to try and go up some shallow rivers in a canoe and will have to get out and wade/drag/carry several times.  I don't want to damage the canoe on the rocks.  Any ideas for not damaging it while moving it upstream?

Put it inside a bigger canoe for an extra layer of protection.

Offline 44 Degrees North

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:01 AM »
Two types of canoes. Lake(pond) and beater. If your fishing streams and small rivers there's going to be damage at some point. The odds are against you.

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:52 AM »
Like others have said buy a beater. Stay away from aluminum, they tend to drag on a rock not slide over them. Go with an ABS or Royalex (pricey) hull material. I like a !7 or 18 ft canoe length, you have a little more room to spread your gear around.

Offline Resperator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:40 AM »
Like the rest have said, if you are worried about scratching your canoe, the only way to keep it pristine is to pick it up and carry it through the rough spots.  A friend of mine told me about a guided canoe trip he took in Alaska with teflon coated canoes.  They would get out of the canoe in 2 feet of water and unload them and carry them up onto the beach to keep from scratching the bottoms.  That is not a canoe that you take stream fishing when there are rocks around.  Keep an eye in craigslist or Uncle Henry's and get a cheap ABS canoe that has already been beat on, and then don't worry about it anymore.   

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:59 AM »
for dragging, put it on a set of wheels. larger diameter wheels will roll over rocks easier

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:29 AM »
Put it inside a bigger canoe for an extra layer of protection.

:clap: :clap: ;D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:35 AM »
the abs canoes take a lot of abuse. pack light and drag away!

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:18 AM »
either a light weight solo you can carry or a beater. my first canoe was an old 1960's grumman and you couldnt kill it. ive dragged it fully loaded up 40 foot river embankments with the truck and a rope, smashed the center up higher than the gunnels in white water and threw boulders at it to beat it back to shape, my brother even ran over it with the truck flattening it out and we were able to bend it back again. those things were extra thick aluminum with big plated keels

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:10 AM »
whats the name of the open water board? I had no idea that one existed

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:31 AM »
myfishfinder.com

Offline coldfish55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:33 AM »
Here you go. Both fishing and hunting site listed at the bottom on the page under the team shanty logo

http://www.myfishfinder.com/

http://www.myhuntingforum.com/

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:37 AM »
-31C/-24F here this morning. I'm having trouble remembering what my canoe is used for.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:38 PM »
everything you buy today will take the punishment. i have about 2500 river miles under my belt. only destroyed one canoe. bent it in half.
wishing i was still young

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.