Author Topic: Horace lake  (Read 1291 times)

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
Horace lake
« on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:05 PM »
Just wondering if there is public access and parking, would like to try a day over at Horace. Any info would be appreciated.
PM's are welcome

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
Re: Horace lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:47 PM »
The website shows a public ramp...

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:48 PM »
It's closed during the winter months, but you should be able to park on the side of the road, or at the gate and walk under the gate where the beach is. Funny how F&G's website says 'bows are in there. Grew up in that town and never caught one. Did catch a nice brown through the ice when I was like 12 and won a derby there.

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:26 PM »
There's a fairly good size parking area and public beach at the ramp, which has been plowed in previous years (haven't been there this year). If I remember right, it's supposed to be for residents only, but I've never had trouble parking there. At the very least, you should be able to pull in to that area, drop off your stuff near the beach and then park on the road like dennisg34 suggests. There are, in fact, rainbows and browns in there. Never caught one myself, but seen another guy pull up a brown, and F&G stocking records show they put rainbows in too -- just not very many. If I were targeting trout I'd either try at the beach or near the dam. But I think it's more of a warmwater fishery.

Offline loudonfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • don't have to ge crazy to ice fish/ but it helps
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:16 PM »
Was there a couple weeks ago and the parking lot was plowed then. Good luck.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Thank you all for the replys, I hear that there are some good crappie in there so that is what I am targeting, if I get a brown that would be a bonus. Just got a flasher and have tried it in some shallow water, looking forward to trying it in some deeper holes.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:45 PM »
Thank you all for the replys, I hear that there are some good crappie in there so that is what I am targeting, if I get a brown that would be a bonus. Just got a flasher and have tried it in some shallow water, looking forward to trying it in some deeper holes.

Horace isn't that deep lol it's no more than 20 something feet there, at least that's what F&G site says. Doesn't hurt to throw a shiner a few feet from the top of the ice down for a nice brown while you jig. I remember I caught mine about a half mile or so to the right of the damn on the other side of the lake. There's good HP in there too btw!

Offline japollner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Horace isn't that deep lol it's no more than 20 something feet there, at least that's what F&G site says. Doesn't hurt to throw a shiner a few feet from the top of the ice down for a nice brown while you jig. I remember I caught mine about a half mile or so to the right of the damn on the other side of the lake. There's good HP in there too btw!

We talking about the same Horace?  It's well over 20 feet deep towards the dam.

Catch some nice fish in the Piscat below the dam in the Spring.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:45 PM »
Heard a rumor, no power augers before 8 am on Horace lake?

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
Horace lake update
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Went to Horace this morning. Parking was a bit tricky, partial plowing job done, ok if you have a 4x4 which I dont but I do have good snow tires. Fished right off the beach from 10 fow to 20 fow, 1 Crappie, 1 perch,1 brown. Jigged all morning with my flasher in 16 fow, didnt mark many fish but did catch the Crappie due to the flasher. Probably 20 or tip ups set up around me and they didnt do any better than I did, could have been the day.

BrookieSlayer99

Re: Horace lake update
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2015, 02:32 PM »
How big was the brown?

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:12 PM »
16"

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:14 PM »
Not a bad sized brown ;)

Offline livefishordie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:16 PM »
I was out there on Friday! Grew up on that lake over in smith's cove.  5 lmbs, 8 yp, 2 picks. Out of the 15 flags, 15fish were landed. 

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2015, 11:49 PM »
Heard a rumor, no power augers before 8 am on Horace lake?

LOL I don't think that's a lake rule, maybe a smug townie rule from someone who lives on the lake.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2015, 11:49 PM »
No pics of the Brown!?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.