The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: wnep delaware ice fishing story  (Read 3798 times)

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
wnep delaware ice fishing story
« on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:06 PM »
did anyone else see that piece where guys were fishing the ice and banging catfish with jigging rapalas. I am no means calling anyone out but just wondering how many people have caught them one after the other on jigging rapalas then every fish that wnep showed coming through the hole wasn't hooked in the mouth. they had quite a few catfish laying on the ice and said he released about 40 more. are they hitting that good or just in a thick pod of them accidently hookin them. like I said hopefully one of the guys is on here and can set me straight im not trying to pick just questioning

Offline Susky

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: wnep delaware ice fishing story
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:10 PM »
I just saw that story too and was wondering the same thing.  They were all hooked in the gut and all got the gaff. 

Offline Bluegill billy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Looked like snagging to me hooked right in the belly. Hope fish commission was watching this story.  Gives the legal fishermen a bad name .   

Offline littlebigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Been fishing there a lot saw probably 200 catfish or more foul hooked I think it's legal on river my buddy reported it and nothing changed idk???

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Been fishing there a lot saw probably 200 catfish or more foul hooked I think it's legal on river my buddy reported it and nothing changed idk???
I can tell you no foulhooking is legal anywhere.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:09 PM »
What a joke, see at the end of the story the guys jigging by ripping their jigging rap from their waist to over their heads? Those guys should be ashamed of themselves, this is isn't salmon season in ny.

Offline littlebigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I agree I am out there fishing for eyes watching guys ripping there rods over there heads like mad and walking off the ice with jet sleds full on cats.

Offline littlebigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Any one eating that many catfish will pay there eyes will glow in the dark to much mercury

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:30 AM »
Well, I guess cats out of the bag.

In NJ, snagging thru the ice is completely legal, and everyone fishing the gap knows it.  Just like there is no size restriction to your hole, just like there is no limit on the catfish.  They are parking in jersey fishing under NJ rules.

From the NJ rule book:

It Is Unlawful To:

• Foul hook or snag any species of fish. This does
not apply to fish taken through the ice.

You have Poloks down there with no rods, just braided line in their hands with treble hooks and a sinker and they know they are legal.  Also, they are fishing out of thirty inch diameter holes (they drill three ten inch holes together).  Best I heard was 300 catfish taken in one day way back beginning of february.  Have seen hundred taken in the three days that I observed the catfish frenzy.

When the middle of the river was still open water, there were no catfish, only walleye.  Amazing how this school formed and pushed all the walleye way out to the places no one else is fishing.  Still getting them on occasion, seen a 27 incher snagged in the tail and thrown in the sled, but not like what it was back in January.

But hey, its legal and in some sort of demented, sick way, its fun.  they fight better hooked in the motor.  Ever been to Oswego?

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Petros

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:19 AM »
Disgusting!

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:44 PM »
What a joke, see at the end of the story the guys jigging by ripping their jigging rap from their waist to over their heads? Those guys should be ashamed of themselves, this is isn't salmon season in ny.

I agree 100%.why take and kill those cats?
They are not the best table fare.
I agree also with mark.they must be over a winter holfing area.
I belive this will hurt the catfish population bigtime.
I hope not.
We catch cats all spring out of the susky ,lots of them too.all release to cstch agsin.Bullheads are an other story.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:58 PM »

I agree 100%.why take and kill those cats?
They are not the best table fare.
I agree also with mark.they must be over a winter holfing area.
I belive this will hurt the catfish population bigtime.
I hope not.
We catch cats all spring out of the susky ,lots of them too.all release to cstch agsin.Bullheads are an other story.
they are quit good eating especially up in that section of river. I'm all for keeping a few to eat but to try to snag them just doesn't seem like fun. These arnt salmon and to do actually bite even in the winter, don't think it will hurt the population as a whole, there are millions of channel cats up and down the river and in many pools that you can't get to on the ice. I'm very surprised it's legal to snag, I even double checked and it is legal. Still need 10" holes tho, I saw that under nj fish codes under delaware river. And doesn't matter if they park on jersey side or not they can't snag on the PA side of the river

Offline outbakjak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:38 PM »
doesn't surprise me one bit.there was a bear /deer baiting scandal a few years back that was swept under the rug pretty quick by outdoor life(16) but hey that's good for the ratings.lol.

Offline Susky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:02 PM »
doesn't surprise me one bit.there was a bear /deer baiting scandal a few years back that was swept under the rug pretty quick by outdoor life(16) but hey that's good for the ratings.lol.

What scandal was that?  Never heard about that one.  Do tell please.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:12 PM »
What scandal was that?  Never heard about that one.  Do tell please.

The host was caught hunting bear over heavy bait in pa. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline Susky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:17 PM »
The host was caught hunting bear over heavy bait in pa.

The current host?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just curious.

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:48 PM »
doesnt matter where you enter the river it matters where your fishing...if your past the centerline and fishing on the pa.side you gotta go by pa laws..so if they are snagging on the pa side of the line its illegal..if they are on the jersey side of the centerline then they go by jersey laws and its legal to snag

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:04 PM »
i believe thats a law jersey needs to look into for next year..either that or start realeasing water up river..that will take care of the snaggers...lol

Offline littlebigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:40 PM »
The river has its own rules that both sides honor pa walleye limit is 5 15 inch, if I walked off pa side with  15 inch eye would get a ticket the river is 3 at 18 no matter what shore you enter on or fish on probably the same for snagging got a look up pa laws for Delaware river not pa state wide rules

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:57 PM »
doesnt matter where you enter the river it matters where your fishing...if your past the centerline and fishing on the pa.side you gotta go by pa laws..so if they are snagging on the pa side of the line its illegal..if they are on the jersey side of the centerline then they go by jersey laws and its legal to snag

Here in Pa. the Delaware has its own set of regulations (P-13), is it the same for NJ?  And don't bet on the centerline of the river being the boundary, I recently talked to a warden about that.
If I fish the Pa. or NJ side for walleyes (with a Pa lic.), I can only keep three, not six. Walleyes closes on the river between NY and Pa on March 14, but is open between NJ and Pa. year round, and they must be 18" to keep. Only place I know of where any size trout is legal below I-84.
Just seems strange that Pa. would have a different set of rules for the river then NJ, but that could be possible.
From what I'm seeing, I would expect that place is going to attract wardens, and I wouldn't be afraid to bet that more than one Pa guy doesn't know the special regs. for the river.

Offline littlebigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:19 PM »
I believe the rules in pa for the river bordering ny are same on both sides just like when it borders jersey same both sides pa rules change at ny and nj borders that's y licenses for pa are honored on jersey and ny shores

Offline littlebigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:22 PM »
The wardens have been there and no tickets given

Offline petebal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:46 PM »
The communist state of new Jersey has the most lenient regulations on the books, regarding fishing.

Don't go across that line with a gun, bullet, arrow, slingshot,  or unregistered can opener, or up that river you'll go!

See what I did there?

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:03 AM »
heres the wording......The Delaware River is a boundary water shared
by Pennsylvania and New Jersey with each state’s
border generally following the centerline of the
river. Although the majority of the fishing regula
-
tions enacted by both states are identical, there are
some distinct differences. Anglers fishing this river
must be aware of each state’s fishing regulations.
Regardless of an angler’s residency or point of
boat launching, all are required to comply with
the regulations
of the state in which they are
fishing.
An angler fishing—or in possession of
fish—between the centerline of the river and the
New Jersey shoreline must comply with the New
Jersey fishing regulations. An angler fishing—or in
possession of fish—between the centerline of the
river and the Pennsylvania shoreline must comply
with the Pennsylvania fishing regulations

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:51 AM »
Nailed it sully, yep special regulations on the delaware that are pretty much identical for both states but a few differences. If fishing on pa side even with a jersey license and parked on jersey side you must follow PA laws Meaning no snagging and a 50 fish limit on catfish. If fishing from on jersey side legally you can snag and no limit on catfish

Offline outbakjak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:32 AM »
no charges were filed so I do not want to slander any individuals but it just left a sour feeling towards the show

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Didn't we just have this argument - which state, which rules?????

So who's gonna run out there with a long enough tape measure and see if they are on the jersey side or PA side.  They are in the middle and its not blatantly obvious as to actually what side of the river they are on.

And what if your feet are in PA yet the hole you are fishing is in NJ?  Hey, it could happen if your turning your back to the wind.

Delawareriver - you have got to show me the 10" rule for jersey, I simply can not find it.  I'm looking in the book right now online.  3, 4 weeks ago, I told those Poloks they were fishing out of illegal holes, they laughed and said show me the rule.  I couldn't find it and apologized, they were right.  Please tell me I was right.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2015, 01:46 PM »
I'm confused! I always thought you would have to abide by the rules of the State lic. you have!
EX: Shore to shore with a Pa. lic. limit of 50, and can't snag
      Shore to shore with a NJ  lic. no limit, and can snag.
I'm OLD, but am I missing something????
I just thought the agreement on the river was to just let either lic. holder fish from either shore, abiding by the rules of the license they hold.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Didn't we just have this argument - which state, which rules?????

So who's gonna run out there with a long enough tape measure and see if they are on the jersey side or PA side.  They are in the middle and its not blatantly obvious as to actually what side of the river they are on.

And what if your feet are in PA yet the hole you are fishing is in NJ?  Hey, it could happen if your turning your back to the wind.

Delawareriver - you have got to show me the 10" rule for jersey, I simply can not find it.  I'm looking in the book right now online.  3, 4 weeks ago, I told those Poloks they were fishing out of illegal holes, they laughed and said show me the rule.  I couldn't find it and apologized, they were right.  Please tell me I was right.

Dr. JM
here you go Dr JM, sometimes you gotta break out the actual codes instead of just reading the book

under the 3rd bullet it says 10" diameter.

As far as which side of the river you are on I would be using Google maps or another GPS app that clearly shows the border, remember ignorance is not a defense. As for the hypothetical straddling the boarder I personally would say which ever side you are standing on just like if you were casting from shore.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:33 PM »
I'm confused! I always thought you would have to abide by the rules of the State lic. you have!
EX: Shore to shore with a Pa. lic. limit of 50, and can't snag
      Shore to shore with a NJ  lic. no limit, and can snag.
I'm OLD, but am I missing something????
I just thought the agreement on the river was to just let either lic. holder fish from either shore, abiding by the rules of the license they hold.
nope, most rules are the same but several are different. You need to follow which ever state you are fishing no matter which license you have or which side you parked

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.