Author Topic: Report and Carbuncle question  (Read 835 times)

Offline Pikey

• IceShanty Rookie
Report and Carbuncle question
« on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Went to Belleville in north kingstown last Thursday and did pretty well. Fished 8am to about 1pm with steady flags all morning. Bite slowed quite a bit by 1130. Got 2 nice bass in the 3 lb range and tons of medium pickerel. Fished near the outlet.

Thinking about trying carbuncle this weekend. Does anyone know if the parking lot is plowed. I have 4x4 but if it's 2' deep it won't matter. 

Also any suggestions for trout bait  would be appreciated. Pinhead shiners? Power bait? Worms?

Everybody get out there while we still can!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Report and Carbuncle question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Hey Pikey,

Not sure if the parking is plowed or not so I cant help you there. As far as bait, you are right on. Jigging and meal worms are the other two methods. Also, keep in mind that Saturday is the last day you can fish that pond or any other in the state that has trout in it. 
Just add water.

Offline Pikey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:03 PM »
I guess I'll find out if its plowed soon enough. Hopefully it is and I'll post a report this weekend.

Any opinions on what the best trout bait is? What have others had success with?

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Hey Pikey,

I have been having success jigging for trout with either a 1/12 or 1/8 oz Kastmaster
in silver/blue, silver, or gold, or a #2 or #3 Swedish Pimple. Either one I tip with wax or meal
worms. Crappies, perch, and bass will readily hit either combination, too.

Smaller shiners seem to work best for me when using tilts in trout water.

Good luck. Looking forward to your report.

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:10 AM »
a couple traps with small shiners and for rainbows I like worms.  Then Jig Jig Jig, Swedish pimple or a shiny bucktail can do wonders.

Offline Pikey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Ended up heading out to Carbuncle today. Fished 8:30-1:30. Cloudy, light snow, mid 20's, wind 5-10

First things first...The access road and parking lot was plowed beautifully and recently sanded.  No issues for accessing this place with any kind of vehicle.

Fished with medium shiners and night crawlers. Caught one rainbow and a decent largemouth. Many more flags with no fish on. Also got 1 sunny so maybe thats what was tripping my flags. Also did some jigging with a small kastmaster but no hits.

All in all a nice day on the ice. Thanks to the guys who offered advice on baits and methods. Hoping to get out at least once more before ice is gone.

Pikey

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:50 PM »
Two questions: did you Tip of the Kastmaster with anything? I think that is key. Second: were you using sonar? If so, were you marking fish that wouldn't hit? I guess that is three questions.

I don't know what your work situation is, but I am playing hooky To go to the DMV and a couple other things tomorrow. If I get done early enough, I am going to try to hit Lincoln Woods late morning. I have jigged for trout there with success the last three or four times I went.

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:58 AM »

Fished with medium shiners and night crawlers. Caught one rainbow and a decent largemouth. Many more flags with no fish on. Also got 1 sunny so maybe thats what was tripping my flags. Also did some jigging with a small kastmaster but no hits.

Congrats on the fish, not a bad day.  Did the rainbow come on worm or shiner? I have caught them on both and still can't determine what they prefer.

Offline Pikey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:52 PM »
I didn't tip the kastmaster with anything. I will try that next time. No sonar either so no idea if anything was showing an interest. The trout took a night crawler. Bass took the shiner. Most of the other flags were worms so I suspect there were other trout that got away. But could have been pesky sunnies.

I would liked to have skipped work today (again) but had to go in. Any luck at olney?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.