New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: New to ice fishing from Southern NY  (Read 559 times)

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
New to ice fishing from Southern NY
« on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:18 AM »
Hey all,

I am new to the site and just wanted to give a quick intro. I am a bass fisherman who grew up fishing lakes and ponds around Orange County, NY (Harriman, Sterling Forest, etc.). I've never been ice fishing before but I am going for the first time in a couple of weeks. My friend is bringing his ice gear with us but he is not from the area so I would like to be able to go to a couple of good bodies of water. Can anyone recommend a good place to start? I feel like I have a decent knowledge of most nearby lake bottom contours but when it comes to how these contours translate to where fish are located when ice fishing, I have definitely missed the boat (pun intended, ha).

Looking forward to being a part of the community and reading up on ice fishing basics.

-kLuo

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: New to ice fishing from Southern NY
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:09 PM »
Welcome to the site... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:06 PM »
The same bodies of water that you used to fish will serve you well on the ice.  A good source of info in your area would be one of our regular SENY members .... Pooley.  Send him a PM and introduce yourself... I'm sure he will steer you in the right direction.

Welcome to The Shanty !!

IceBalls

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:02 AM »
Thanks for the tip, IceBalls. I look forward to learning as much as I can!

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Welcome to the site... ;D
2X that
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:06 PM »
KLuo, now that you have posted 4 times you can also access the "NY Fishing Conditions and Reports" section.  That section lists most N.Y. waters (lakes) by name and will give you ice and some fishing reports.  Please remember that the Fishing Conditions and Reports section is just for what the title says and any chit chat will be removed by the Moderators.  You can ask questions and chit chat on the N.Y. Ice Fishing section.  The N.Y. Ice Fishing section also lists many N.Y. waters (lakes) so look through both sections and find the waters (Lakes) you are looking for and enjoy the reading and replying with posts yourself.  There is a Southern N.Y. Thread on this N.Y. Ice Fishing section.

Perch Chacer

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:28 AM »
KLuo welcome to Ice Shanty. Here are two lakes to consider for your trip Walton lake off of Lakes road between Monroe and Greenwood Lake and Diamond lake in Winding Hills park. Winding Hills is located off of route 17k between village of Montgomery and Bullville. It is a county park with a policy similar to Harriman/Sterling concerning ice thickness. Here is the phone number for the ranger station in the park.

(845)-457-4918

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.