New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Dead bait in new york  (Read 5442 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Dead bait in new york
« Reply #30 on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:13 PM »
Every technique posted thus far has a time and place to be used.  I am not deep enough into logging pike trips to have come up with any solid pattern. 

What I do know is the feeding should start to increase dramatically soon!

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:22 PM »
I certainly don't try to steer people away from using smaller bait. I definitely use it myself, and have seen huge fish caught on 2" bait. Its more of a personal preference for me. Especially in the last two weeks.
Next week I think things are really gonna turn on! Few consecutive days in the 30's here. I can't wait!
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Every technique posted thus far has a time and place to be used.  I am not deep enough into logging pike trips to have come up with any solid pattern. 

What I do know is the feeding should start to increase dramatically soon!
It sure as heck was on fire last Saturday. My son and I had to have caught 30 fish easily.... Mostly Pike, one Pickerel; and a few Bass. Now most of the Pike were small except the 33", 38", and 44" those were pretty good. I don't think I will ever have a day like that again. It was insane. Not more than 10 minutes went by in between flags. Now. I went to this spot because there was supposed to be a S SE wind. Going back to my regular spot this weekend. Hopefully witht his cold they haven't moved to their spawning grounds yet as the males are the first to go. I don' think so. Next week I am switching locations to the Bat cave. I will def try some dead bait over there.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:19 PM »
I never buy bait once lake george freezes, then if I have ciscoes I set them dead on tipups if I don't have them I don't set tipups.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:32 PM »
I never buy bait once lake george freezes, then if I have ciscoes I set them dead on tipups if I don't have them I don't set tipups.
You are really missing out then.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:25 PM »
You are really missing out then.
On what you think shiners or suckers work better some places, on lake george if you have them you will out fish anything else by a mile.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:46 PM »
On what you think shiners or suckers work better some places, on lake george if you have them you will out fish anything else by a mile.
That's like me saying I won't set a tip up for lake trout until I have smelt jigged up. Some days by the time that happens, the morning bite is done. I always have bait to use until I get natural forage to change it out with.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:50 PM »
I hear that but I can usually get some and if not I'll just jig perch no big deal.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:59 PM »
I hear that but I can usually get some and if not I'll just jig perch no big deal.
I guess everyone preferences are different. For you, that saves weight on the drag out. But for me, if I'm headed out for pike or tigers, I've got serious bait with me lol
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline hookset72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:22 PM »
I like dead bait thats been dead awhile, even frozen, thawed and refrozen.  The baggie will start to become satuated with a bloody brown soup.  I pour that slop down the hole and then set my tip up.  Ive always hung dead bait horizontally 1.5-2ft off bottom.  Since I started using dead bait my pike numbers have gone up.

Offline flintster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Ok so with the bait regs in New York are we only talking about bait within the certified 10 day period? I've seen guys stomp on the bait then rig it up. I would really like the idea of hauling less weight but I don't want to keep the dead bait longer if it would set a bad example for the kiddos! I.e.tickets

Offline bigmattyp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:33 AM »
I know that I will be trying some of these techniques this weekend.  It will be interesting as one of the guys I am fishing with is firmly against dead bait, but I feel like I need to change something as I am about to go insane with not catching fish for so many times in a row this year!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:44 AM »
Ok
I know that I will be trying some of these techniques this weekend.  It will be interesting as one of the guys I am fishing with is firmly against dead bait, but I feel like I need to change something as I am about to go insane with not catching fish for so many times in a row this year!
he will change his mind when u start catching fish n hes still sitting there lol

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Ok so with the bait regs in New York are we only talking about bait within the certified 10 day period? I've seen guys stomp on the bait then rig it up. I would really like the idea of hauling less weight but I don't want to keep the dead bait longer if it would set a bad example for the kiddos! I.e.tickets

Read the regs. You can keep dead bait for as long as you want, bring it wherever you want, trap it, buy it, as long as it is dead. The only catch is, by law you must preserve it some way other then freezing, (salting, brining, ect.)

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #44 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Hey BigMatt, I didn't read through the entire thread so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this.  When using big suckers they may trip your tip-ups.  I like to clip a light down rigger release to the cross bar of my of my tip-up then clip my line to it.  It saves me from chasing false flags.

There is no bigger rush than seeing a flag of a tip-up knowing you had an 6-8 sucker on there.  It almost always means there is business on the other end.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:10 AM »
Remember, location is way more important than bait. If you're out of the realm of where these fish are going to be, then it won't matter what bait you have down there.
On a side note, I'm interested to hear you report back at the end of the weekend and let us know the ratio of live vs dead bait flags.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:27 AM »
I like 12-14" baits if I am fishing dead.  Had a 14" dead sucker get hammered last year by a 37-38" pike.  It nearly flattened my laker when it hit.  That's a rush!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:30 AM »
i like 8-12'' for dead. No need for me to go any bigger for me, Ive had good results. Hopefully I will be able to lay a big one on the ice this weekend. Good luck to everyone else out there lettin 'er buck for Team Deadbait.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:57 AM »
i like 8-12'' for dead. No need for me to go any bigger for me, Ive had good results. Hopefully I will be able to lay a big one on the ice this weekend. Good luck to everyone else out there lettin 'er buck for Team Deadbait.
Good luck. I hope temps are lookin up for you up there as they are here from Sunday on! Its go time.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:21 AM »
Gotta put in my 2 cents:
Dead bait: 1) YES! Biggest suckers you can find. Or, jigged up perch. Semi gutted, on the bottom. Three trebles, one in the mouth, one in the back, one in the tail.

2) Med. shiners, Hunts, hooked in the tail, suspended all over the water column and on the bottom.

Live bait: Med. shiners / Hunts, hooked in the tail, on a worm harness. Two baits, one on each hook. Pop their eyes out. 3-4 feet off of the bottom. Popping the eyes causes panic & two baits struggeling gets a pikes attention pretty quick.

If you are in the Capital Region, Wiggley Worm has BIG suckers. However, they are $5.00 each (well worth it!).

And I am a very big believer in GULP! Spray it on all baits.

Fish weed lines when possible. All of this has been very productive for me, this year so far. Caught a monster on the dead bait hooked in the tail, about three feet under the ice, with a hole cover. However, DUMMY had let his reel freeze and I lost the fish at the hole. He broke the 10 lb. leader because he couldn't run. Lesson learned. CHECK EQUIPMENT FREQUENTLY! Oh, and use #12 red trebles.
Get a Bigg'in!

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #50 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:33 AM »
Gotta put in my 2 cents:
Dead bait: 1) YES! Biggest suckers you can find. Or, jigged up perch. Semi gutted, on the bottom. Three trebles, one in the mouth, one in the back, one in the tail.

2) Med. shiners, Hunts, hooked in the tail, suspended all over the water column and on the bottom.

Live bait: Med. shiners / Hunts, hooked in the tail, on a worm harness. Two baits, one on each hook. Pop their eyes out. 3-4 feet off of the bottom. Popping the eyes causes panic & two baits struggeling gets a pikes attention pretty quick.

If you are in the Capital Region, Wiggley Worm has BIG suckers. However, they are $5.00 each (well worth it!).

Fish weed lines when possible. All of this has been very productive for me, this year so far. Caught a monster on the dead bait hooked in the tail, about three feet under the ice, with a hole cover. However, DUMMY had let his reel freeze and I lost the fish at the hole. He broke the 10 lb. leader because he couldn't run. Lesson learned. CHECK EQUIPMENT FREQUENTLY! Oh, and use #12 red trebles.
Get a Bigg'in!

wow- 2X THAT,BUT i put blades on for flash
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Gotta put in my 2 cents:

Get a Bigg'in!

Wow!  Never thought about popping out the eyes.  Neat idea.  I will try that.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #52 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Read the regs. You can keep dead bait for as long as you want, bring it wherever you want, trap it, buy it, as long as it is dead. The only catch is, by law you must preserve it some way other then freezing, (salting, brining, ect.)

Unless I'm missing something, you, need to read the regs.

Use of Dead Fish as Bait
Any dead fish, or parts thereof excluding eggs, that are legal to possess and are not prohibited for use as bait (see above) that have been packaged for commercial sale and have been preserved by methods other than by freezing only (e.q., salted minnows) can be used in any water body where it is legal to use fish as bait and do not require a receipt. Each package of dead bait fish must be individually labeled, identifying the name of the packager/processor, the name of the species, the quantity of fish contained, and the means of preservation.
Pete Lewis

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Unless I'm missing something, you, need to read the regs.

Use of Dead Fish as Bait
Any dead fish, or parts thereof excluding eggs, that are legal to possess and are not prohibited for use as bait (see above) that have been packaged for commercial sale and have been preserved by methods other than by freezing only (e.q., salted minnows) can be used in any water body where it is legal to use fish as bait and do not require a receipt. Each package of dead bait fish must be individually labeled, identifying the name of the packager/processor, the name of the species, the quantity of fish contained, and the means of preservation.

Good catch Sherlock Holmes. You got me lol.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:41 PM »
wow- 2X THAT,BUT i put blades on for flash
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

The worm harness has blades on it.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Good catch Sherlock Holmes. You got me lol.

Not really.  I just formed "jon's natural baits, inc"  a quick incorporation from legal zoom, a federal tax id, ect, and next thing you know im bagging goldens in kosher salt and using them where ever I want.  Meeting every requirement of the posted regs....

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:11 PM »
Not really.  I just formed "jon's natural baits, inc"  a quick incorporation from legal zoom, a federal tax id, ect, and next thing you know im bagging goldens in kosher salt and using them where ever I want.  Meeting every requirement of the posted regs....

Employ me? I got plenty of salt lol.

Offline bigmattyp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Not only that, but now you can depreciate that new sled to go get bait with!

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:49 PM »

Where do I submit my resume? 

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:40 AM »
I have caught plenty of lakers on dead frozen ciscos rigged with W hooks. They did seem to prefer them over live bait. I used to use them with an egg sinker rigged up with a small split shot for a slip sinker rig. This was open water and I would lay the sinker on or just off bottom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.