Author Topic: Underwater Rainbow Trout Video - So Many Fish!  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Underwater Rainbow Trout Video - So Many Fish!
« on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:37 PM »
Video Link:

This was one of those days that really makes you believe 90% of the fish are in 5% of the lake.  Although tricky to find that 5 % sometimes it sure is nice when you do!

The Rainbows here were schooling like I have never seen before and who knows, may never see again.  Just glad to have some of it on video.  If you're watching most of the hookups are in the last half of the video.  Hooked up on a big one on camera so that was neat.   

This should save me some PM's - this is a 1/8 oz slender spoon in gold and green tipped with a piece of shrimp.  But you can see that even with a bare hook they were still attacking it.  I buy them online from Cabelas for those wondering where I get them. 

I think next time I go fishing I'll have to use something else, this lure has just been getting way too much play time on the end of my line this season.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Underwater Rainbow Trout Video - So Many Fish!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:10 PM »
Nice!!  But that wasn't shot near Edmonton!!
How does that camera work in coffee/tea coloured water?  I still want one of those little buddy 120 fish finders.  $109 in the states and $189 up here.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:34 PM »
Nice!!  But that wasn't shot near Edmonton!!
How does that camera work in coffee/tea coloured water?  I still want one of those little buddy 120 fish finders.  $109 in the states and $189 up here.

No that's why I posted it in the bc forum, it was filmed in bc.  I think the cameras only work if the water is clear.  It can be stained but if not clear it won't work well.

Offline hallyslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:24 AM »
Great Video! insane number of fish down there, couple nice brookies mixed in as well. Did anyone else happen to notice the trout with his eye popped out?

Offline Ooberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • **The Tug is the Drug!**
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:51 AM »
Ha! Lots of fish to play with. I noticed the brookies, couple bigger bows too. Typical swim by ;)
#adventureisalwaysinseason

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:45 AM »
Great Video! insane number of fish down there, couple nice brookies mixed in as well. Did anyone else happen to notice the trout with his eye popped out?

Yeah that bow with the proptosis (popping out eye) And messed up smile reminds me of joker. 

Ober fish yeah the big ones were swimming buy but hooked a 20 inch around middle of the video.  In the evening the bigger ones were more willing to bite this was late morning.

Offline Eastbranch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:53 AM »
Hope you learned your lesson from watching that! All the big fish swimming by or getting spooked off by your non stop manic jigging. That spoon wasn't getting their attention at all and when it did, you missed the vast majority of takes. Only got a handful of the small fish interested. Spot like that should get a hookup on every drop.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:11 AM »
This video is highly edited, you're seeing close to a hundred clips from over a couple hours of footage. The fish are most interested when the lure is moving. If it stops they just swim away with disinterest. I wasn't watching on the camera either since this was a GoPro down the hole. So this was essentially fishing blind.  The camera was the reason they weren't biting it was only 12 inches from the hook.  When I fished another hole away from the camera it was one after another action.  I was catching fish none stop with this action.  The lure action brings the big fish close but then they see the camera and get spooked.  Just watch my other video rainbow trout Rampage same spot. Same technique.  No underwater camera.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:38 AM »
Good job!

WS

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Its not the Kill,Its the Thrill of the Chase"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:14 AM »
Pretty Cool Vid!!!

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:17 AM »
  Thoroughly enjoyed the video and each response to the questions and or comments !! Keep up the good work Brandon !!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Awesome video Brandon!!

I've been editing down a bunch of footage too, but I'd love to have the concentration of fish that you got into.  Don't pay attention to people criticizing your technique.  Anyone who's fished for big fish know that big fish bite when they want to bite, simple as that. 

As usual I enjoy your videos, and I'm glad to see some underwater ice fishing footage.  Keep it up :)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:25 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the video.   Thanks for understanding that I make them for people to enjoy and learn from :)

Offline Rimfire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Another great vid Brandon, they are very informative. Originally from central BC myself the transition to fishing in Alberta was a slow and challenging process. So many species and technics to fish for them. Learned more from your vids in the last two years then I have in the previous five. Hope you plan to do more vids in Alberta, keep it up. If you get the opportunity, head up to central BC west of Prince George. You won't be disappointed. They don't call it the lakes district for nothing. Tight lines.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Another great vid Brandon, they are very informative. Originally from central BC myself the transition to fishing in Alberta was a slow and challenging process. So many species and technics to fish for them. Learned more from your vids in the last two years then I have in the previous five. Hope you plan to do more vids in Alberta, keep it up. If you get the opportunity, head up to central BC west of Prince George. You won't be disappointed. They don't call it the lakes district for nothing. Tight lines.

Thanks, glad you've found them helpful.

I will continue to make fishing vids in Alberta too.  I'll be back there in March to fish AB and Saskatchewan for a few days.  Hoping to find some perch pike and walleye. 
Yeah I've heard great things about the lakes up there, like Dragon.  Don't know any other names but I'll have to go exploring sometime.  It's a little further from Vancouver though so I'll need a week off to go try them out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.