New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Wind MOD For Flip Over Shelter  (Read 1015 times)

Offline RussW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Aaaaaa!
Wind MOD For Flip Over Shelter
« on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:30 PM »
I wanted to share this. 

I was looking for a wind mod for my flip over and kept seeing the Michigan sportsman post -
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1000781#post1000781

It's a good idea and it gave me an idea of my own.  As good and simple as this guys set up. I like to move around.  So this means flip open...move...flip closed.  And this mod Dosent allow this.

So I came up With this. 

Same idea and outcome, just less parts and more mobile. 

It's pretty simple and cheap.
Per side
2 pipe clamps,
2-T connectors (1) cut so it can fit over frame. 
2-45° so there is no hard edges when canvas is tight.
about 10"+/- of strait PVC
Diameter size depends on your flipover frame size and preference.

The clamps on the T hold it in place keep it from sliding down.  Its tight enough to keep it from swinging too freely and  When they are turned out, I can flip it open and close without swinging it out of the way. And they stay on and in place all the time so there is no setup each time you go out.  I fold them in for traveling in my truck so there isnt any chance of damage.  It keeps the canvas tight so there is no flapping in the wind and it makes it seem more roomy inside.

That's it.  It works for me and I have used it all this season so I tried it quite a bit before posting it. 
Hope it helps. 
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day... Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime!  

Who needs a boat when you can walk on water!!

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wind MOD For Flip Over Shelter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Cool... My shanty is probably 8 years old and the canvas there has definitely 'relaxed' ....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:32 AM »
Cool... My shanty is probably 8 years old and the canvas there has definitely 'relaxed' ....
Metaphorically speaking........? ;D

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:31 AM »
Metaphorically speaking........? ;D

Exactly....  I tried your trick with the clips but couldn't get em to hold well enough.....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:22 AM »
Was thinking of some way to stop the wind flap myself ....was think of using a fiberglass driveway marker ..drilling a hole in the bottom hoop and a hole in the 2nd hoop ...flexing the marker making  a bow and inserting it in the two holes ...still in the R & D stage.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RussW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Aaaaaa!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:19 PM »
Was thinking of some way to stop the wind flap myself ....was think of using a fiberglass driveway marker ..drilling a hole in the bottom hoop and a hole in the 2nd hoop ...flexing the marker making  a bow and inserting it in the two holes ...still in the R & D stage.

At first I was going to do something along that line but use 2 fiberglass tent poles. But I still would have to take it apart or off to flip open and closed.  I can leave these turned out and flip it open.
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day... Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime!  

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:32 AM »

How about a Cold Snap rod holder ...then add your PVC pipe ?

t=35
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RussW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Aaaaaa!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:06 PM »

How about a Cold Snap rod holder ...then add your PVC pipe ?

t=35

I like the rod holder idea. Seems pretty cool.  I say try it and post how it works.  I'm gonna use mine for now until I need to change......it works good.  Better than I thought it would when I started it. 

But I like those cold snap rod holders. 

Offline reeltime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:53 AM »
looks good, I will probably be having a new canvas done on my flip over after the season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.