The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: deep frying fish...  (Read 939 times)

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
deep frying fish...
« on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:02 PM »
after all these yrs of pan frying fish and making a mess of my stove top...I finally bought a small 2 quart counter top deep fryer for fish and chips and lord knows what...my question is.. how many times can I reuse the oil and should I just leave it the fryer reservoir or should I put in a container in the fridge???? don't want to use 1 and half quarts of oil every time if not necessary....

Offline DodgeChopper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: deep frying fish...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:55 PM »
I re-use oil 4 or 5 times, or until you get too much loose breading in it which will cause oil to start getting burnt. and I just store it in the cabinet in between cooking. Love to use Shore lunch beer batter, tried many different one and like this the best.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:44 PM »
thanks DC and WG.....just got done with the maiden fry....French fries and smallie filets from last summer...freshly made tartar sauce....I also love shore lunch..brings back the nostalgia of bluegill fish frys as a kid.. usually make my own in an egg/ beer type batter...tonite used hi country wild fish fry.. a little spendy... but montana made quality product....thanks again for the advice.. I will be sure to change more than every 8 yrs.... ;D

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I have one of those little fryers but it gets used outside when cooking fish and that oil only gets used for fish.  If you filter it you should get 4 times if you don't overheat the oil.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:07 PM »
Strain the oil after you fry fish,your good to go the next time,no burnt bottom crumbs and no oil foaming. Peanut oil is the best.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:16 PM »
I agree, strain / filter the oil to remove the "burnt offerings" and yu should be good for 4-5 outings.
I would also say you could use canola oil as well as peanut.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:30 PM »
I'd say you would be wasting good oil if you throw it out after 4-5 times. Strain the crud out from the bottom to keep it looking clean and I usually fry some sweet potatoe chips to clarify the oil a but more. I'd stick with the peanut oil. Do some digging on Canola oil and you might find that you'll never use it again.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:37 AM »
2X on what missoula said. My cousin from MN soaks potatoes in his oil overnight to absorb fish oils. The he stains rhe oil to be reused.

As for batter/breading, I like the Louisiana brand mix with my Fry Daddy!
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline Eye.Deprived

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Rolled in flour dipped in egg rolled in crushed saltines ate with tartar sauce delicious

Offline sureman666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:46 AM »
crushed up ruffles with ridges..tried it with some striped bass and it was by far the best.

Offline JiffyJockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Anyone who throws the oil out after 3 - 4X of cooking is wasting perfectly good oil.  I used to work in the food business as a food broker.  The oil can be used probably 10 - 15X minimum before it needs to be tossed.  You do have to strain it and add additional oil however.  I keep the oil in the fryer and put a piece of Saran Wrap over the top and then closed / seal the lid.  Works great!  As others mentioned, potatoes help soak up the fish oil. 

As a rule of thumb, change the oil when if / when: 1). it starts smoking or foaming, 2). when the breading doesn't brown to a golden brown (instead it's more black) or 3). when the food starts taking on a different flavor / smell (i.e. if you open the lid and it has a strong fish smell, probably time to go).

If you want a really good piece of fish, take a cast iron pan (marinate it in the oven first by rubbing the inside of the pan with Crisco and putting in a high heat (400+ degree oven)), and once marinated, add a bunch of Crisco to it till it melts down to liquid (you want apx. 3/4 of an inch of melted Crisco in the pan.  Wash fish and pat dry (make sure you get the majority of the H2) off).  Then take a small piece of breading and toss it in the pan to make sure the oil / Crisco is hot (if the breading starts to burn, turn down the heat.....if the breading isn't sizzling, turn up the heat).  Once the heat is right, coat your fish in egg and dunk it in Shore Lunch (hands down the best breading I've found).  Turn fish after a couple min.  Don't overcook.

Pull from head and place on paper towel to soak up excess oil and serve.  Not the healthiest :), but man it's unreal.  Serve with tartar sauce (I mix my own using mayonnaise and dill pickle relish).  Squirt some lemon on the top too. 

This is also a great way to cook fish over an open flame when you're out in the bush and have a campfire (you'll need a metal grate to put over the fire).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.