New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Passing The Time  (Read 3787 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Passing The Time
« on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:43 AM »
Well it was -17 by 7 am this morning. No way I'm going out on the ice in that. So,I'm killing time working on a Goby Fly pattern for spring.

First attempt.

What do you think? Suggestions?

Trapper is supposed to share his pattern with me. I think he's keeping it a secret.

Think I'll run out to Bass pro and see if they have any barred natural zonker strips.

What do,you guys do to keep occupied when it's -17 :-\

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline cooper2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Passing The Time
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Bob
That looks very good!!

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Great looking jig Rg.

hinkydo

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2015, 12:30 PM »
I used to tie myself.  A LOT.  That pattern would murder trout down here on the Farmington river.  -17 is still fishable for me but painful!  Today I pass the time driving my desk at work!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I start fights on other forums to pass the time when it's -17 outside.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline cooper2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2015, 01:40 PM »
prchslyr- So does everybody else ;D

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:12 PM »
I build airplanes

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Very Cool RG and Duke.   As far as what do I do when its -17, usually, unfortunately, Work!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Whatever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:42 PM »
I'm with duke14 but i'm a foamy kind a guy. If not in here I'm at RCG.

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:09 PM »
RG...Got the UL eglass rod finished.  Microguides & spiral wrap.  Want to see photos?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:13 PM »
RG...Got the UL eglass rod finished.  Microguides & spiral wrap.  Want to see photos?

Post them up! Love to see them.

Duke, that's some awesome collection. You've been at that a while ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:33 PM »
Thanks,its a fun hobby,Im a carpenter by trade so most of my planes are scratch built,
not into it as much nowadays,but I always have something on the build table

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Cool planes! I used to tie flies too, rg, for trout fishing. Haven't had the vise out in years. I usually resort to food when I'm bored. I work too much to keep any weight on.😋 just had a piece of cherry pie my wife made!
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:21 AM »
I sit around and tie the most uglies dumbest fly u could think of..then when it warms up a little i try it out... ;D..i do jigs the same way.. :whistle:..ill post a few they mite not catch the fishermans eye or the fancy look but as long as the fish eatem ill keep tying

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:23 AM »
Oh forgot i browse on shanty to ;D ;D

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:28 AM »
.heres one. It works

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:04 AM »
awesome bug and great planes i have been cleaning my gear getting ready for spring

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:06 AM »
Nice mounts....

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Here we go with my new rod build (like I need another UL panfish rod):
  I bought a 1 piece 6' Batson Rainshadow eglass from acidrod.com for a whopping $14.00.  I've been doing alot of reading the last couple years about the advantages of micro guides and have built a couple rods and love them.  Instead of standard spacing of guides decreasing as you approach the tip you space all your micros equidistant from the tip between 4" & 5" apart to what they call the choker, or first micro guide.  This system gives the rod a much more uniform flex under load and reduces the weight.  And, I can cast further.  There are alot of skeptics out there that believwe the small guides will create a constriction and decrease your casting distance but just the opposite is true.  I can cast further with these guides.
  Finally, I went with a spiral wrap.  Everything I've read about guides says they really belong on the underside of the rod.  But, with a casting rod they're all on top.  A spiral wrap, or as some call it, an acid wrap has the first guide from the reel directly on top, the second 90 degrees to the side and all the micros under the rod.  I casted an ultralite crankbait out in the yard with and without the first two guides on the top and side and noticed no appreciable difference.
  I decided to build a casting rod instead of spinning, as I've never used an UL casting rod.  At first I was going to buy a bait caster but decided to keep it simple and get a spin cast.  After going thru many reviews I decided on the Diawa Silvercast 80A.  I have a couple small Zebco spin cast reels on my ice fishing rods and the drag is terrible.  That was my main concern - the quality of the drag.  Just pulling line off the reel by hand I am impressed with the smoothness of the 80A.
  So, here's some photos.  Also notice I cut the rod in half and used a spigot ferrule.  My first attempt at that and it came out OK although not as clean as I would like it.  As you can see I'm not a professional wrapper and was quite disappointed with the color preserver I applied to the threads.  But, its going to work fine.

Wanted only a couple wrap diamond but never thought about starting & ending at the same place leaves only one wrap one way

#4 micro guide - all spaced 4" apart except for last one at 4.5"

#6 & #8 casting guides, one on top and one at 90 degrees to the side

Spigot ferrule using a piece of old rod blank.  Not pretty looking but it works fine.

Can't wait to give the gills, crappies & rockies a try with it.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:52 PM »
I've just started making knives out of old files and saw blades.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:11 PM »
I make my own muskie baits and custom golf course yardage books.

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Sorry for my post.  I was proud of my accomplishment but i guess to some it came across as bragging.   Next time I'll just post a photo and leave it at that.  No running commentary, I promise.  Photos of the knives would be great Big.  And while you're at it, you really should change your middle name from Ice to Bass but drop the B. ;D

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:34 AM »
Hmmm i missed something hrre but thats ok..very nice floatman..it takes a skill to do a rod...ive always wanted to build one but im better off tying a string to a stick... ;D

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:41 AM »
I make my own muskie baits and custom golf course yardage books.

Interesting that there's still a market for those given the distance measuring devices.... Do you do courses by walking or through satellite imagry?
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:11 AM »
i guess i missed it to very nice work float

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:41 AM »
I go fishing! I sleep out all of the time. Portable shanty, light weight portable toilet (a seat on a frame & a plastic bag), Mr. Heater Buddy (the big one) 20 - 40 lbs of propane, cot, sub zero sleeping bag, heat food up in a bracket I made to hang on the heater grate, a folding chair, a book for when it is quiet, head lamp, fishing gear, of course and I'm all set. Pulled out by an ATV with tracks. I'm good in all types of weather with this outfit. My fishing buddies call me "COB" crazy old bas....! 'Cause I sleep out in severe weather as well as good weather. Last year, I was out for four days at the end of the season. Got the "COB" name for the 65 mph wind gusts and the -35 wind chill the first night. I was fine with my set up. The rest of the time I had nice conditions. Caught some nice pike overnight in that storm. Was well worth it. And no, I'm not some young, tough kid. I won't see 60 again.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Sorry for my post.  I was proud of my accomplishment but i guess to some it came across as bragging.   Next time I'll just post a photo and leave it at that.  No running commentary, I promise.  Photos of the knives would be great Big.  And while you're at it, you really should change your middle name from Ice to Bass but drop the B. ;D
donot be SORRY, be proud,most cannot do that inc me.great looking
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:51 AM »
passing the time,just fishing most of the time.
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:27 PM »

floatman  I  really  enjoyed  your  post  and    loved  all  the information  you provided  I  also   loved  you  rod!   please   keep up the  great  work  and  thank you very much  with  sharing  it  helps  people   and  in  inspires them  to  try  !   thank  you  for  sharing

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:24 PM »
I guess I missed it too Floatman. Nice job! You'll have a lot of fun and satisfaction from that Rod in the years to come. 

Hey Trapper....where's that goby pattern?

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.