Author Topic: Big River ice fishing derby mar.21 2015  (Read 670 times)

Offline Gotspooled?

• IceShanty Rookie
Big River ice fishing derby mar.21 2015
« on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:13 AM »
What's happening? So from my understanding the derby is run on a shot gun start format where early birds run for their spot and an official will come drill the hole or holes for you as long as you are inside the restricted fishing area ??  I have read the posted rules and such but has anyone ever been to this derby any info is great !!

Offline Gotspooled?

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big River ice fishing derby mar.21 2015
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:46 AM »
I have been to the bill bannock in the pas Manitoba and they pre drill the fishing grid ? Same deal here or no?

Offline JDawson82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:06 AM »
4 of us entered this tourney last year, very disappointing, all holes pre drilled the night before (so bring a spud) and not one fish was even caught, and i believe that is a few years in a row now with the whole tourney getting skunked.  Locals even complaining about how it was run.   And to cap it all off the Mayor of Big River won the cash last year, very fishy if ask me. 

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:06 PM »
I would have to disagree, the tournament is run fairly good in my opinion, been going for about 9 years.  The holes are usually drilled the same morning but there has been issues with slush in the past.  There has been talk about moving locations so at least a few fish are caught.  I am not a big fan of being first in line then racing to the edge of the grid and have to wait for all the slow pokes to show up and then pick my hole.  Why not first come first serve (let people run like other derbies to your hole) in a orderly fashion.
The beer gardens and prize awarding is nice as its at the community Centre, nice and warm!

Offline Gotspooled?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:48 PM »
So it's not a real shotgun start where you run right to your holes and claim them you just race to the grid ?? **censored**

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.