Author Topic: Noises fishing this weekend?  (Read 946 times)

Offline eskimojoe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • STAY ON THE DRY SIDE OF THE ICE
Noises fishing this weekend?
« on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Would like to hear input on why the ice was so noisy where I was this weekend?  There was the usual thunking noise I would hear once in awhile.  Lots of cracking noise around the bank.  And every so often it sounded like someone was driving a payloader around with the bucket scraping on cement.  Never heard that noise before.  Fishing was slow but productive.  Just curious if people have heard the same sounds. Thanks for your input guys.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Noises fishing this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:32 PM »
Where where you?
Keep it safe jDL

Offline Slimdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:56 PM »
While those sounds are enough to make a guy pucker, they are good sounds.  They are indicators that the ice is growing.

Offline eskimojoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Farm pond in Stanton county.  There was some cloudy spots around but mostly 4" of clear. We didn't venture to the spot that was open a few weeks back.

Offline eskimojoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Yes the pucker factor was definitely running high

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:10 PM »
There are different noises that ice makes, but if it's really cold and making noise, that's usually a good thing.  The only exception I can think of is if you're on a really large body of water and it's windy, the noise of large sheets of ice slamming together nearby.... no thanks.

I can still remember an outing last year, super cold day, on Wanahoo and it was making a lot of noise that I would describe as "Star Wars" like.  And then one of the louder ones (to me) ended with a brand new stress crack directly underneath the bucket I was sitting on and me just about put something extra in the bucket.

So even when I know it's a good sound, sometimes it's still momentarily frightening.

Nate

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.