Author Topic: blue mesa ice report  (Read 2746 times)

Offline browntrout60

• IceShanty Rookie
blue mesa ice report
« on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:48 PM »
In a couple weeks I plan on makin a trip up. I am taking my brother in law whom is new to the sport and want to make it a good trip for him.  I have not been able to find a good ice report.  I might have access to a range r so we can move around and find some good fish.  I don't know if it is too risky right now or should I just drag a sled around.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Gettin while the Gettin's Good

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: blue mesa ice report
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:21 AM »
As of the other day there is plenty of ice from the Lake City Bridge to the Elk Creek Marina. If you go on any of the other ice you are on your own to check it as you go. I have seen people on Sappinero area and by the Dam. I would not go out there. As for catching fish it has been slow but I think it is picking up and in 2 weeks should be good.
<===Lefty===

Offline browntrout60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Thanks for your reply. What's the ice thickness lookin like? 

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:45 PM »
I was there last weekend and the ice was well over 12" most everywhere we went. We had our snowmobiles out there and was a lot of people with atvs and side x sides. Last week was colder and this week looks much colder than its been so ice should be good

Offline browntrout60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Sweet, well maybe the weather will be good that weekend.  Looking forward to getting up there this year.  Thanks for the replies!

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:05 AM »
Anyone been to blue lately? Anyone going this weekend?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Anyone been to blue lately? Anyone going this weekend?
Going Sunday.
<===Lefty===

Offline Fisherguyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:04 AM »
I will be there Saturday

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:28 PM »
I will be there Saturday also

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:10 PM »
I'll be starting at Elk Creek early Saturday.  Might end up at Iola depending on how it is at Elk Creek. I'll be in black coat n bibs with a Nils auger on a Makita  drill.See  you guys there.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:36 PM »
I almost don't even want to go on Sunday with a tournament going on. Maybe I might just meet you all out there on Saturday but I would be late if I did.
<===Lefty===

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I'll be starting at Elk Creek early Saturday.  Might end up at Iola depending on how it is at Elk Creek. I'll be in black coat n bibs with a Nils auger on a Maritally drill.See  you guys there.
My plan is about the same. Probably won't be too early , long trip for me. But I'll stay out late into the night , We will have two ski doo summit sleds, one black and orange and one white and orange, see Ya all out there, lefty you should join us all on Saturday

Offline browntrout60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Me and my brother in law are headed up today after work.  Fish Saturday somewhere.I have not decided where exactly.  Fish the tournament Sunday.  Maybe I will get lucky any win something. Lol

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2015, 09:08 AM »
My plan is about the same. Probably won't be too early , long trip for me. But I'll stay out late into the night , We will have two ski doo summit sleds, one black and orange and one white and orange, see Ya all out there, lefty you should join us all on Saturday
Was just told by the wife they are making her work on Sunday. Which means she will have Saturday off instead. So I should see you all out there tomorrow.
<===Lefty===

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:43 PM »
Right on!

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Me and my brother in law are headed up today after work.  Fish Saturday somewhere.I have not decided where exactly.  Fish the tournament Sunday.  Maybe I will get lucky any win something. Lol
Cool man see Ya out there!!

Offline browntrout60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2015, 07:15 PM »
How did everyone do today? It was success with my brother.  For being a rookie he outfished me.  Nothing over 18" but lots of action and bites.  We marked a lot of fish just a lot would not commit.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2015, 07:53 PM »
Good burst at 10. Caught six between 10 n 10:30 in 35 feet west of the marina second point. Another 4 mixed in before and after butnothing over 18" either.  Lake trout wouldn't come off bottom over a foot. Dang full moon. Best jigs were white glow.  Tubes and trout magnets.  Only deadstick fish were slimers. Had to tease em and piss em off. ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Did fair out there today. I ended up with 5 one being a small Laker. Lots of bites and a lot more misses. I am pretty sure I had one Perch on I felt a small fish on for about 15 feet and then it came off. Also lost a couple others half way up the hole.
<===Lefty===

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:06 PM »
I saw your blue truck going out. I left at 2.  You must have gone east from the ramp. Did the missuss do any dancin' today?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2015, 04:03 AM »
I have a Green Truck. The wife wasn't dancing yesterday she was using some, well words I haven't heard her say in a long time. She missed this one fish 3 times in a row and then came the special words. She didn't get skunked though.
<===Lefty===

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Got there about 11:30 stayed till about eight. Tons of bites all day, drilled more holes than I ever have 30+. Could not for the life of me hook a fish, forgot sunscreen so all I have to show for it is a massive sunburn lol. Had fun none the less. Tons of people and a lot more ice on the lake

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2015, 04:05 PM »
There was a guy walking around with out even a shirt on. Muscle bound guy. I asked him if he brought his sun screen and he held it up and said: "I never leave home without it."
My face is burnt pretty good. I took off both my jacket and coat early. Did you go to ELK creek? I was right out to the right in the Blue Shappell Wide House. We were in 65 FOW and was catching fish at 12-18'. The small Laker was around 40'.
<===Lefty===

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:16 PM »
I was at Elk Creek. I was on the second main point on the north side.  Got there at six.  Met SGM unloading his wheeler n stuff and drilled their first 4 holes.  Then I fished a couple hundred yards west the rest of the time.  You musta been gone when I went back by a little after two.  I shot the sheet with Russel (SGM) for awhile on my way out. They were in the first cove after the fitst point on the north wall just west of the docks.  Sounds like the lakers n bigger browns were put down by the moon.  Everyone I talked to west of us was skunked.  Light bite except that one hour window.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:47 PM »
I was to the East of the docks.Right out by that point. Showed another guy and his wife where we were since we were leaving and still had fish showing up. They took our old holes because he said his auger was acting up. I will be going back Tuesday. Most likely the same area or close to the  North east side.
<===Lefty===

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:35 PM »
GL on Tuesday. They have to eat some time.  If I go back it will be with the wheeler, the wife and 3 grandkids.  Next Saturday is out but maybe 21st if the ice stays good.

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:38 PM »
We started in the cove south of elk creek marina, then went east and fished both south and north sides of the lake, good bite action most of the day right off the bottom, batteries in my sonar were dead so didn't know depths. probably be at lake city bridge area next Saturday with my dad, probably just leave the snowmobiles at home and just walk

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 11, 2015, 10:00 PM »
I was to the East of the docks.Right out by that point. Showed another guy and his wife where we were since we were leaving and still had fish showing up. They took our old holes because he said his auger was acting up. I will be going back Tuesday. Most likely the same area or close to the  North east side.
Did you go Tuesday? If so how was it?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2015, 05:14 AM »
Tuesday was dead slow. Go there before the sun and pulled out a Brown in less than a minute. Then it was done. When I pulled out that brown I though what a great day this is going to be. Wrong.Only had 3 more bites up until noon when I had to leave. 17-104 FOW hardly saw a fish on my finder. Going back this Monday or Tuesday but will stay all day.
<===Lefty===

Offline HDSIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:15 AM »
Tuesday was dead slow. Go there before the sun and pulled out a Brown in less than a minute. Then it was done. When I pulled out that brown I though what a great day this is going to be. Wrong.Only had 3 more bites up until noon when I had to leave. 17-104 FOW hardly saw a fish on my finder. Going back this Monday or Tuesday but will stay all day.
That's discouraging:/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.