Author Topic: cabin style or hub style?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
cabin style or hub style?
« on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:16 PM »
I was thinking about to change hub style to cabin style. The cabin is more easy to carry and set up?. Im getting tired of set up the hub style, its kinda too much work to set up with the anchor total 6 or 8 depends on windy day. I think shappell DX3000 look like alot easy to set up, Im curious what your experience between from Cabin or Hub style which is easier to set up even in the windy day with a one guy to set up?

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: cabin style or hub style?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:28 PM »
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:15 PM »
Its as nice idea. Its look like heavy to pull around.

I fixed mine since a couple of years!..

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=189111.msg1891868#msg1891868

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:27 AM »
arround 80Lb
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:10 PM »

Offline happycrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:04 PM »
I know you only mentioned cabin or hub shelters but have you given any thought to a one man flip-over? They come with a sled for a base so you can put all your gear in there and drag out the whole thing. Sets up and takes down in seconds.

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:48 PM »
Nice idea. I look for 2 ppl size so I can bring my buddy if happen. I not crazy about flip style cuz have to sitting most of the time. I tend to stand most of the day during ice fishing. I have hub style its nice big roomy but too much work to set up just for myself. I hate it set up during windy day make it harder for me.
Charo look at this  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=85267.0

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:50 PM »
I not thought about flip. I not move around alot. I use tip up all the time. I just need a "base camp" to keep warm up if need to or stay out the windy day. Also Flip over is cost alot of money, I cant afford one!

I know you only mentioned cabin or hub shelters but have you given any thought to a one man flip-over? They come with a sled for a base so you can put all your gear in there and drag out the whole thing. Sets up and takes down in seconds.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2015, 04:48 AM »
 I have the Shappell DX3000 and I have owned it for 10 years and love it. It folds up to a sled and has nice big windows and two flaps in the floor that you can open and jig thru.  I do use a buddy heater in it and I set up to folding chairs in it. There are two things that I don't like about it and they are that there isn't really any way to anchor it unless you drill the anchors thru the floor and when there is snow on the ice it's like pulling a plow around. I usually drill a hole in the ice and use a home made toggle that i drop in the hole and pull up against the bottom of the ice and tie that to the pull rope and then set it up so the wind doesn't blow it away.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:08 AM »
Thank you for input with your experince of DX3000. Thats what I like about big window easy to view when sit down?

I have the Shappell DX3000 and I have owned it for 10 years and love it. It folds up to a sled and has nice big windows and two flaps in the floor that you can open and jig thru.  I do use a buddy heater in it and I set up to folding chairs in it. There are two things that I don't like about it and they are that there isn't really any way to anchor it unless you drill the anchors thru the floor and when there is snow on the ice it's like pulling a plow around. I usually drill a hole in the ice and use a home made toggle that i drop in the hole and pull up against the bottom of the ice and tie that to the pull rope and then set it up so the wind doesn't blow it away.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:15 AM »
I have 2 of those folding chairs that you carry in a bag and I find they are just a little bit short. I'm 5' 9" tall and I can see out of the window but I have to lean forward on my chair to see out. I'm thinking about buying  two of those folding director chairs.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:16 AM »
I think Chepi has a blue cabin shanty. Not sure what model he has.

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Im 5'11 maybe I will not need to lean foward to see out. LOL. Thank you for feedback.

Im think more like I will try sell my hub style 4 man to get cabin style or someone will trade with me if someone want Hub style and not want cabin.

I have 2 of those folding chairs that you carry in a bag and I find they are just a little bit short. I'm 5' 9" tall and I can see out of the window but I have to lean forward on my chair to see out. I'm thinking about buying  two of those folding director chairs.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:46 AM »
I have a frabil recon and like it. usually go out by myself and can set it up in under a minute. the only drawback is having to use a shorter rod when two people are in it. other than that the shanty is golden
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.