Author Topic: Pistakee & Bangs  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pistakee & Bangs
« on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:24 PM »
Fished both today both slow. Plenty of ice 15-20 inches. Bangs is all rutted up and walking sux's. Caught a few but not worth keeping and 20+ sheephead at Pistakee, wont be back to either lake this year. Will leave the sheep head for the group that was keeping them-said they were gooood eating-I said they were sh  it fish.
I'll stick to Mazonia for the rest f the season.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pistakee & Bangs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:22 PM »
Fishing right out in front of oak park this time of year will usually give that result. There's good fishing to be had but you gotta walk 30-40 minutes if you don't have a machine.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Bangs is just a pass it by lake now. Way way to much pressure. Have fished it for over 40 years. Went last sat night. Probably wont do her again. Or at least for some time. Used to get plenty of good fish out of there. Many just caught and released. Have been there several times this season. All it is now is people on top of people catching small fish. With a healthy one every once in a while to keep interest up.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:16 PM »
I agree. Bangs used to have reasonable fishing pressure and produced a good number of big bluegill and decent crappies. It is a circus out there now. At least the chain has enough size to have multiple fish producing spots that see little to no pressure because they are too much work to get to. 

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:50 PM »
I spent most of the day walking Pistakee north around Coon island, The monastery, all along the east wall Then back to hole outside Oak Park lounge. I knew the sheep head where there just to have a tug on the line. I'm done with both for  a while!!! :'(   

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:20 PM »
I'll be out giving pistakee bay a sniff early tomorrow morning. Should be a brisk morning stroll.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Cant- I was out on Pistakee the 21st too. We got there at around 12:30. Started on Channel at 6:00 to try something different. Caught 2 nice crappie off a crib and then moved around for a couple hours and nothing. Headed over to Pistakee and saw 5 guys south of Oak Park. Went past them a bit and got a decent crappie right off the bat. Then nothing but a few drum. Emptied the tank on the auger cutting holes. John- Where are you going for the good fishing? Please report on today. Going to try an old spot I haven't been to in years tomorrow. If anything happens, Ill post a report.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Was chilly this morning. We got out at 5 am. Ended up with a walleye a few crappie and a few largemouth. We went south in 9 ft of water. Fishing shut down by 730. I'm going back out for the evening bite.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:00 PM »
Was chilly this morning. We got out at 5 am. Ended up with a walleye a few crappie and a few largemouth. We went south in 9 ft of water. Fishing shut down by 730. I'm going back out for the evening bite.
Curious to see if the night bite is on cant do the early am I'd have to get up at 230-300 am.  :tipup:

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:28 PM »
After alot of drilling we smacked the crap out of 10" fat perch suspended in 16ft of water. a couple gills and crappies but mostly perch. from 4-6pm was prime. bite shut down cold at sunset. best perch day ive had in a while. they were schooled up and hungry. kept a few for the table released a bunch. size was pretty consistent. fished until 8. was a long day. that said I think the morning walleye bite would have been better if we got out an hour earlier. such is life.       

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:59 PM »
I'm going to beat up the chain for possibly the last time this winter. We have a solid week of 40-50 degrees coming. Perch bite is hot so I'm going all in this weekend.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2015, 10:03 AM »
7-9 AM was good. Crappies are aggressive.

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish all four seasons........ice time da best time
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Dang John......very nice....gonna try tomarro by my house for a minute....got warm quick
"You wanna know how I got these scars......." The Joker

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2015, 06:11 PM »
I'll be out for more Tomorrow. Get em while they are hot.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2015, 06:29 PM »
7-9 AM was good. Crappies are aggressive.

John-
Were those from Pistakee? Nice avg. size!
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2015, 06:49 PM »
Dang nice looking crappie. OK so now I will have to go up early Monday morning. Could you share a little more info bait? Plastics? I know the rest.  Nice gills too!!! ;D

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Small jigging spoons. I use the smallest glow red frostee spoons tipped with spikes. The holes next to me I set tip downs with small fatheads. In the locations i fish this season I have caught NO sheepshead and NO whitebass. It's been years since I can recall that happening.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:05 PM »
Bite was tough today but the perch are schooled in big numbers. The tip downs earned their keep. Most of the perch came from them. Fatheads on a size 10 octopus with a bb shot. It has been a great ice fishing season on the chain. Good luck to all.

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish all four seasons........ice time da best time
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Killed it again eh......this season i had no real time to hit the chain....hope next ice season i can get up there.....nice job....tasty fry fo sho! :) @)later on mike
"You wanna know how I got these scars......." The Joker

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:51 PM »
Very nice haul way to put on the ice. I'll be there the next 2 days. Tomorrow morning and Tuesday afternoon and evening.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2015, 12:22 PM »
Just stayed local on Monday went to Pistakee with Jim Yesterday. Om the ice at 11 am and off at 9pm. Still a lot of ice 15+ inches with a couple of inches of very wet slush. Shore lines in most places are where still solid. Fished all over east side 2 to 19 fow west side up to 15. Kept 21 gills no monsters or jumbo just nice ones 7-8.5 and 13  crappie biggest 10- 13.5. fish are very scattered. gills caught in 9 fow or less, crappie all suspended 7-13 down and had to really work for them. Lots of fog yesterday and very damp. Not a banner day with little to show for 2 guys. :o Might have been my last trip of the year I hear the coho are starting WOOO HOOO ;D ;D

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:45 PM »
Nothing wrong with that. We had the same experience with the crappies not exactly jumping on the ice. All in all it looks like it could have been alot worse. Where do you fish for coho ? I'm one of the idiots who fishes johnson pier.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:36 PM »
I fish for them from Burham Harbor  south all along the shore line. The new harbor at 31st street is real nice and a easy walk, 39th is also an easy access area and walk. $5.00 for parking along Lake Shore Dr. or free for me inside the harbors. I've fished Johnson Pier once and found it not to my liking sorry to say a lot of RUDE folks there who think they own the place. I have fished the Rocks with good success with Kings but have not fished it in the last 2 years.

Offline Specia1Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got Pike?!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:07 AM »
I fish the harbor mouth of Burnham all the way down to the new 31st st. launch. Parking is cheap, and when the fish are in it's a good spot to be. Never crowded either...

Support our [/color]returning veterans and the families of our heros and Patriots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.