The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: latest ice ever?  (Read 2765 times)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
latest ice ever?
« on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:29 AM »
looking at the 10 day forcast and how much ice we have I am going to go out on a limb here and say this year might be a record for me.cant remember for sure but I think I made it to mid march.what are your guys predictions for this year?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: latest ice ever?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:39 AM »
Remember yrs ago here in lower Michigan, fished till April 5th, there were guys that was out on the 8th, but not me!!  I think that year I measured 28-30" ice

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:30 AM »
I can remember 10 years ago or so we fished High Point Lake in Somerset county after 3-15 as we caught a large pike and had to release it as the season ended 3-15 years ago I believe.  If I remember right we fished till the last week of March safely.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:34 AM »
I have heard guys have fished into April. In SE PA we are lucky to get into March most years.  :-\

Offline bowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:05 AM »
Two years ago fished the first weekend of April on Deepcreek lake Md.

Offline petebal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:12 AM »
Last year. nearly second week of March on kaecher creek. There was a guy fishing open water from shore while I was on the ice.  I got a lot of looks that day. Retarded.  The top of the ice was coming off. I bolted after an hour.

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Last year I ice fished Mauch Chunk on March 22nd. There was still 10 inches but I had to wade in using my hip waders to get on the ice haha.

Offline perchmanbo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:55 AM »
March 17 or 18 last year at Presque Isle did great on the panfish, couple other years fished into mid March also.

Offline Jonebo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2015, 12:37 PM »
I have a picture I took dated 3/19/2005 from Tuscarora when I remember my wife went along and the ice was around 16" yet.I can't remember fishing later than that myself.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2015, 01:58 PM »
I think it was somewhere around 94 or so, when we were on the ice the weekend before trout season, April 7thish..........Who knows for this year, mid march? late march? Once the days get longer and it warms up just a bit, it only takes a couple days of warm temps/rain to mess up the ice. All this snow on the ground will not help either, as rain will quickly melt it and flood little creeks, which in turn will raise water levels in the lakes, flooding and breaking up the ice.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline fisher 74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2015, 02:35 PM »
i fished march 22 last year at canoe creek state park pa

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2015, 03:31 PM »
April 7 were was that at Byron ?

Offline Locnar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2015, 03:41 PM »
When I was a kid, maybe 20 years ago or so I remember fishing the Pack with about 8-10 inches or so of ice around the second week of April, latest I can remember. Fishing in a t-shirt in the high 50s. Caught a lots of perch that day, near Ariel creek area.

Offline danceswmuskys

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat more sea kittens. It's what's for supper.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:30 PM »
 :)Around the end of march a few times. I would say with all this global warming going on I think we have a good chance this year. hopefully into April!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2015, 06:14 PM »
I don't remember getting to the end of March but I can't remember were I put my Keyes or my wallet ,I always know we're the flasher is though. :o

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2015, 06:20 PM »
I don't remember an exact date but a few years ago I remember fishing the second weekend of April.  That year we didn't get much snow and were drilling through 24 inches of ice. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2015, 06:22 PM »
I think it was somewhere around 94 or so, when we were on the ice the weekend before trout season, April 7thish..........Who knows for this year, mid march? late march? Once the days get longer and it warms up just a bit, it only takes a couple days of warm temps/rain to mess up the ice. All this snow on the ground will not help either, as rain will quickly melt it and flood little creeks, which in turn will raise water levels in the lakes, flooding and breaking up the ice.
ditto,,, used leftover shiners the next weekend opening day of trout, always headed north as the season end grows near,used to build bridges planks etc and when mo jr was younger made him go get all the flags because we all weighed too much  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o no wonder the boy is teched lol he wasnt complaining about all the late season action
GOD BLESSED
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Remember yrs ago here in lower Michigan, fished till April 5th, there were guys that was out on the 8th, but not me!!  I think that year I measured 28-30" ice
             This was probably 35  years ago or there abouts!!

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:40 PM »
Here in Shohola, we fished March 25th, 2014, on 18" of ice. 

I told my buddy the lake would be open in 2 weeks, and he thought I was nuts.  Sure enough, it was open two weeks later.

I remember a very late period of safe ice back in the late 80s, but I never thought to record how late. 

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:13 PM »
Last year.I was on Shohola & Pecks the weekend of  March 22 & 23 2014. & I remember guys on Antietam {berks co. } last year. Opening day of trout sitting on lawn chairs.On the edge of the ice fishing the open water. That was too funny.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:49 AM »
I know I stopped fishing the Susky last winter because walleye closed. Mid March I still had over a foot of ice on a river and this year is looking like it will be the same scenario
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline bullscrickbowfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:10 PM »
April 1st last year. Glendale and 2 - 12' planks

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Pretty sure guys were fishing through the ice on Opening Day at Minsi last year.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:42 AM »
WE WERE ON PL.THE SATURDAY BEFORE EASTER LAST YEAR,[HOLY SATURDAY]THE BITE WAS ON AND IT STILL HAD 15" OF ICE.
I WOULD OF FISHED THE FOLLOWING SATURDAY BUT,THE CATFISH STARTED BITTING ON THE RIVER.

Offline XhardwaterX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:13 AM »
Made it till March 26th last year, fished Pyme slammin craps

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:08 AM »
Just checked my log from last yr.  I fished two different lakes in NE- PA. , one on march 28th it had 12"  and the other on March 29th  had 18". both had bad edges but you could get on. Not sure after that but this yr. I told my wife I am fishing up to Easter Sunday. ??????? I hope so any way.......

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Next week we're suppose to have a warm up.  With 8-10 inches of snow and warm temps it will be a mess on the local lakes.  The slush will start the end of the year for this season.  Time to get ready for the major bite.
sparky

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:26 AM »
Last year opening day of trout on Antietam lake in SE PA half people fishing off shore other half through ice.

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:56 AM »
I have trout fished on Harbor Acres on March 31 before and remember being bummed because the ice was still good and the lake was closed to fishing on April 1st.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline CrippleG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:26 AM »
March 29th 2014 Walker lake was my latest ice fishing. Had to decide whether to go trout fishing or ice fish. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.