Author Topic: So what is the rule?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
So what is the rule?
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:47 PM »
With a second rod stamp u can fish two rods or two tip ups or can you fish 2 rods and two tip ups? I looked in the state guide and no where is it clear...

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: So what is the rule?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Mix or match, but just one extra rod/tip up.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:25 PM »
Sawtooth nailed it.  This state isn't like most.  They don't allow more rods for ice fishing.  It's at max 2 lines in the water if you purchase the two rod stamp. 
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2015, 05:08 AM »
Right on Vex-Um.  Unlike some other states back east allow what up to 5 tipups ?

Bud

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2015, 05:15 AM »
in ny its 5 tip ups and 2 hand lines but on lake champlain its 15 tip ups and 2 hand lines

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:17 AM »
hand lines meaning 2 rod/reels ?
Bud

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Wyoming you can use 6 rods ice fishing.  Nebraska you can use 5 rods ice fishing.

Note I said rod. I dont do tip-ups.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:45 AM »
2 lines total, no matter what they are.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:30 AM »
Go ahead and run as many as you think you need. Tell them Stinky said it was okay. Personally, I think if I ran two lines or twenty I'd still never limit out.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Thanks All!! very much appreciate the council

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2015, 12:17 PM »
Ah, makes me remember some good times back in MA and NH fishing with my brother. 
Nothing like chasing flags on eight combined tip-ups, plus two jigging holes for us to share.   Kept us busy.  ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2015, 12:42 PM »
Exactly...I miss the fields of flags...

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2015, 01:45 PM »
In Michigan, especially early ice, we'd throw on our skates to check 'em  ;)

Offline Kinosao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Maine was 5 lines as well, I miss bringing out my basket of 'traps'

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2015, 02:01 PM »
All I can say is that multiple lines in other States is the norm.  I'm sure the intention on the two rods or lines is to ensure that it is monitored constantly by the fisherman.  Releasing an undersized fish alive after fighting for an hour on a pop-up is not in keeping with conservation.

BUT I agree with your frustration and if there is enough interest and a sound rationale for a regulatory change, we should present it with signatures to F&G.  Remember F&G is now parks and parks cost money.  So if there was a fee for extra ice fishing rods, you might have something that they might find enticing.  We would need to add a restriction in the name of conservation that the ice fisherman could not be further than say 75 feet from a line...just a distance I think I could run to on the ice in 15 seconds.  Perhaps Ice Shanty can help to organize this initiative.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Great idea...I would love to fish 2 lines in the Shanty and 2 or 3 tip ups....I would be fine with a nominal stamp for the extra lines

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2015, 03:37 PM »
Heck yeah. They could simply charge $5 for each additional rod. 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2015, 03:41 PM »
yes hand lines are fishing poles anything with a signaling devise is considered a tip up

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:09 PM »

I like to stay busy out there and fishing with four or five rods is not a burden but more of an adventure since ice fishing can be tedious at times. I took up the question with Division of Wildlife maybe five years ago. Could I buy another rod stamp? No. What if I purchased another license altogether and got a second rod stamp for that? Give me the right to fish four rods total. No dice. Their response had a very Soviet flavor to it. There was no interest in revisiting the regulations at this time. Next.
Now every year I buy my license with a second rod stamp and when I get on the water I fish the way I damn well please and if they can catch me doing something illegal good for them. Keeps it interesting and adds zest.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:10 PM »
I would pay for a few extra opportunities to catch fish. I do like to fish one rig a ways off even farther than 75 ft. But I do watch it like a hawk.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:18 PM »
It would be good to present data from neighboring states like NE, KS, and WY - in terms of having more than two rods on the ice and how it impacts their fisheries.  There's a guy on the NE forum, Daryl Bauer, I think his name is, who works for NE fish and game.  He might be able to give advice.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:03 PM »
I lived in CO many years ago...beautiful state, always enjoyed visiting too.  Intresting, here in Idaho you can purchase a second rod stamp for open water, however for ice-fishing you can have up to 5 lines per fisherman in any combo (rods, hand lines or tip ups) as long as they don't exceed 5.  However, having a two rod stamp in Idaho does NOT allow you to use more than 5 rods on the ice.  I like to fish about 3, two lines baited and jigging the other. :) :)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:22 PM »
I kind of like the idea of having an "ice fishing" season pass which would allow you to use a few extra lines, through the ice only. Do you guys think it would get really crowded? Might be some interesting confrontations however if everyone put out 4 extra jaw jackers all over the place, along with their jigging rod.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:34 AM »
It doesn't get that way anywhere else I know.... it may even spread folks out a bit....personally I like to have them fairly close...so I can see them thru the shanty windows...I normally set them right off the bottom and jig with the fish finder....

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2015, 10:02 AM »
I kind of like the idea of having an "ice fishing" season pass which would allow you to use a few extra lines, through the ice only.

If you can make that happen sign me up. I'll certainly do things legally when given the opportunity. You're not dealing with politicians, you're dealing with bureaucrats. Remember also the power of the fly fishing lobby, little gods that walk the earth and dictate who may fish where and how. Ice fishermen, frankly, are a primitive sub-species, prone to violate the Law of Catch and Release. You sure don't want to make it any easier for them to sweep the waters clean.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Stinky,

Was this before or after parks took over?  One person is not going to carry and weight.  We get an initiative, lots of signatures and call for a public meeting.  Tell them the extra money can go to handicap access to the ice. :o

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Stinky,

Was this before or after parks took over?  One person is not going to carry and weight.  We get an initiative, lots of signatures and call for a public meeting.  Tell them the extra money can go to handicap access to the ice. :o

I guess I don't really recall when Parks took over the store but my suspicion would be that the same mindset would prevail. It's like turning a battleship. The political juice is with the fly fishermen. They've got lobbyists, multiple websites, multiple publications, numerous retail stores that cater to their needs, and they're organized. They're the ones who's voice is heard in the regulation review comment periods. They give you the Gold Medal waters, the fly and lure only lakes, the bag and possession limits. On balance they do a great deal of good and I support their efforts generally. But they ain't ice fishermen. They don't get it. Anything that may diminish trout numbers for their fishing style will not be permitted. You may be able to persuade them that extra rods and tipups will be focused on ridding the State of the evil Northern Pike. I'd be happy to sign a petition and jawbone any bureaucrat who will listen. See what you can set up.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2015, 04:08 PM »
Hey the guys in Pueblo recalled a senator on a blog like this...all we are looking to do is expand the line usage with an extra stamp for those who want to...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.