The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: spoons  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Goodnight

• Team IceShanty Regular
spoons
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:36 PM »
So I realize this topic may come up quite often, but what PK spoons do you guys like? Color? Weight?  I have actually never used them.  Had pretty good luck with the buckshot and Swedish pimples. I talked with a good buddy and he says you can't go wrong with the PK. What do you guys think?
To those who are about to fish, I salute you!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: spoons
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:30 PM »
I think it really depends on the lake. 

I like the flutter fish @ glendo.  But it seems at boysen you could drop a basspro shops store down the hole and never catch a fish. 
Don

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:40 PM »
A variety in: Spoon, Panic and Flutterfish would be a good start

Firetiger Glow, Red Dot Glow, Pearl Chartreuse and Pink Pearl Glow should be in every tackle box.

Size depends on your target ~ Some are numbered and others have lengths listed.

I have yet to hear of a 'wrong' choice, with any PK Lure.    ;)2

Go to their website and in News & Tricks, read it all. Watch the videos for techniques.     ;)2

https://www.pklures.com/

Offline Goodnight

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Thanks for the great info, jopes and gator. Jopes, I grew up fishing Glendo so I know how you feel, as now I maimay fish the north eastern part of the state and have trouble at Boysen myself.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Wow! I checked out the PK site and the address is Cheyenne! Really? Are they really makin them in Wyo? I wonder if a feller can see their operation if ya happened by there sometime. If they are indeed made in Wy. I'll have a bucket full next time I hit the water. Can't have too many lures right? ::)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Wow! I checked out the PK site and the address is Cheyenne! Really? Are they really makin them in Wyo? I wonder if a feller can see their operation if ya happened by there sometime. If they are indeed made in Wy. I'll have a bucket full next time I hit the water. Can't have too many lures right? ::)

Maybe you'll get lucky Rusty, and talk to Pat O'Grady , the genius behind it all.     ;)2

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Maybe you'll get lucky Rusty, and talk to Pat O'Grady , the genius behind it all.     ;)2
   Thanks Gator!!! Kinda gets this old fart excited! I, be givin it my best shot next trip to cheytown! ;D

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:48 PM »
They used to be made in Wyoming.  But has since moved that to China
Don

Offline akaakira

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2015, 11:48 PM »
PK stands for Pat's Killer Spoons

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:53 AM »
I use the gold 1/4 oz. and 1/8 oz. a lot for walleyes. Started using the red dot glow predator some this year as well.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2015, 12:50 PM »
 >:(  Moved from Wyo to China huh? Well that's a drag. Wonder, if there has been a noticeable difference in quality since the move. I'm sure I'll still have to get some of the suggested ones but I'm not going to be as hot for them as I was. I know if I ditched all the fishin stuff I own that was made in China I have a lot less problem sortin through all of it. I don't like the idea of outsourcing when Wyoming goes to the lengths it does to provide an outstanding climate for small business. Thanks for the info Jopes.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Only thing I can catch on them is perch and trout. And yes, I'm using them right.  :-\
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Only thing I can catch on them is perch and trout. And yes, I'm using them right.  :-\

Quit fishing for just perch and trout!  :whistle:

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:37 PM »
are you using to much corn on them??? ;D. just kidding
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline NeFiShNeTiMe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:31 AM »
Anybody using slender spoons or vmc spoons? I used to hammer walleye on them in Pennsylvania and on the western Basin of Lake Erie. Haven't had much luck on them out here. Think my go to is a sweedish pimple still for walleye perch and crappie.
Ezyjiggin101

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:56 AM »
>:(  Moved from Wyo to China huh? Well that's a drag. Wonder, if there has been a noticeable difference in quality since the move. I'm sure I'll still have to get some of the suggested ones but I'm not going to be as hot for them as I was. I know if I ditched all the fishin stuff I own that was made in China I have a lot less problem sortin through all of it. I don't like the idea of outsourcing when Wyoming goes to the lengths it does to provide an outstanding climate for small business. Thanks for the info Jopes.

Quality went downhill... when have you seen a product line move to China and improve?  I haven't.  When PK spoons moved out of WY and into China... they stopped getting my business.  PK Spoons do work, but so does every other spoon out there...

When they made the switch, the spoons went from metal to plastic.  Unless they have changed them back...

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:25 AM »
Plastic?
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:28 AM »

Think the quality changed?  Both are a 3/8th ounce flutter fish.
Don

Offline Goodnight

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Wow. That's pathetic.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:58 PM »
Plastic?

Seem to remember getting some plastic PK spoons after they made the switch overseas.  Maybe I'm wrong.... they seemed cheaper and lighter than the originals but I never weighed them to see.
Maybe the quality of their product didn't change but the fact that they'd rather have people in China making these than people in WY/USA does not make me want to buy from them.  Nothing is made in this country anymore its a damn shame. 

A spoon is a spoon is a spoon... PK doesn't offer anything that kastmaster doesn't offer in terms of catching ability and kasty's are made right here in the USA.

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:08 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Think the quality changed?  Both are a 3/8th ounce flutter fish.

When did this change happen? I purchased quite a few new ones this year and they looked exactly like the ones i've gotten in the past.  This picture just looks like a cheap knock off

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:12 PM »
I've purchased quite a few over the past few seasons,  and have also replenished the ones I've lost or have given out. None of mine show that dissimilarity between the same sizes, and all appear to be of similar quality to my eye - and the fishes eyes for that matter.

If what you depict is an actual flaw or misrepresentation, I'd contact PK to inform them. Pat would certainly take care of any issues, I would believe.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:34 PM »
They are both in Fact PK spoons.  The bigger 3/8 was bought 4-5 years ago.  the smaller one was bought a year or so later. 

Really doubt the trading post in Glendo is buying counterfiet PK's
Don

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:41 PM »
At the end of the day they did make some kind of change to their product when they moved it to China....(added the golf ball effect).  I'm wondering why they made the change?  They would have saved $ in labor moving the original product to China.... but I'm betting they switched from the originals to save even more money on materials.

You could argue they changed the design because it works better but it happened right after they moved to China...I don't think that is mere coincidence.... my bet is they cut costs and went with cheaper materials.   Would be cool if Pat O'Grady participated on these forums so we could hear from him.  Cheaper materials and made in China or not... lots of people still love using PK's and I'm sure they do work.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Looks like PK spoons is no longer a board sponsor? ???

Offline Goodnight

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Very sad to hear they moved to China. I have the upmost respect for those that keep business in America, and they will always have my business. It does appear that PK lures is no longer a sponsor.  You would think all the money they saved going to China that he could afford to keep his shanty sponsorship.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Just how many of these spoons does one think he sells in a calendar year?

I would bet it is far more than he alone could ever make in Cheyenne by himself.  Manufacturing costs to keep the spoon prices down would have been far too much.  But that is just my guess.
Don

Offline Goodnight

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2015, 12:34 PM »
Jopes, totally understand and agree with what you are saying. The rising cost of labor and materials have made it difficult for American businesses to stay competitive and not pass too much of the cost down to the consumer.  It's just tough to find a "Made in America" sticker on anything anymore.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2015, 12:52 PM »
You can say that again.   I refuse to buy any type of dog food or treat that was made in China.  They dont care what they put in them,  I try to buy everything else that is not made in China.
Don

Offline oneal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2015, 02:41 PM »
Obviously we don't care,not them...Not their fault they make everything for us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.