Author Topic: Coming to lake Winnipeg from Saskatchewan in March  (Read 1891 times)

Offline 10lbsclubMJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Coming to lake Winnipeg from Saskatchewan in March
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Were coming in mid March to try and catch a few Greenbacks hopefully the piggy ones ,Defently don't want to anybody to tell us there secret spots but my main question is will it still be safe to drive a truck from Chalet Beach to places like Prudens point and the mouth of the red ,We wont be bringing quads with us will have to move around by truck just looking for peoples opions on safety and how long of a drive from there are we looking at ,were staying in Selkirk and we know its 30 mins to chalet but now how long of a drive is it on the ice to these places .......thanks for any info

Shane .

Offline clash

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Coming to lake Winnipeg from Saskatchewan in March
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2015, 04:36 AM »
It's different every year but based on the current conditions and the weather etc I'd guess you'll be perfectly fine with a truck mid March. Being in Selkirk you have the advantage to being central to the three main accesses ....Prudens, balsam, chalet/ Warner so even if one has a 4 ft wide crack or some limiting factor you have 2 other options within 30 minutes. On the ice from say chalet to the mouth is ballpark 20 minutes but again that varies year to year based on how rough the ice is and how rough you want to treat your truck. Just remember straps and good METAL shovels just in case.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2015, 05:41 PM »
Truck access is done at prudens, someone tried today, they must have spent hours digging, you should see the ruts, access is good at balsam and chalet!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline 10lbsclubMJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:37 PM »
Thank you clash for taking the time to let us know it would be safe and how much time to drive from Chalet out to the mouth ,This is our first trip to lake Winnipeg and none of us have ever caught a greenback before so were a little jacked for this trip ,We fish a hell of a fishery in Last Mountain with monster eyes  but there a different color walleye there mostly gold so defently looking for a few Piggie greenbacks for some cool pics .....Once again thanks for the info and thanks carcus for letting everyone know that you cant drive on at prudens anymore .   

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2015, 03:26 PM »
I would check the conditions a day or two before the arrival date. They can change overnight.

Offline The Cod Father

• IceShanty Rookie
  • We Know Where They Live
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:47 PM »
Bring a GPS and respect the Lake be aware of your weather conditions out there . Smart people carry survival Equipment. 
Are you bringing two trucks? Bring Recovery Straps  , And don't hook to the hitch ball  .
We still have a lot of winter left yet . That lake can change in a matter of hours . Keep checking in as your date gets closer

You come to me on this day of my daughters Wedding, And ask me to go fishing....Well O.K LETS GO

Offline 10lbsclubMJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys ......Were really looking forward to this trip for a pic or 2 ,.Its gonna be a change its usually a spoon bite first and a rattle bite second on Last Mountian for us and its gonna be mostly a rattle bite first and spoon dead stick bite second there but should be a fun 3 days for us .

Offline JAMOKIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Pay No More
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:14 PM »
I can hear it now the sound of a Banjo way off in the distance on the lake come March.
Do you take requests ?

LOL

Offline 10lbsclubMJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Im bringing  extra rider hats to give away on the ice so everyone leaves the ice a winner that day .:) lol

Offline The Cod Father

• IceShanty Rookie
  • We Know Where They Live
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:20 AM »
 :clap:
You come to me on this day of my daughters Wedding, And ask me to go fishing....Well O.K LETS GO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.