New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cortland Line Store closing  (Read 2077 times)

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cortland Line Store closing
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:21 AM »
Ok. There have been rumors going around that the factory store was closing but the rumors are now true. Had a couple buddies that went up this week and there is a sign announcing the closing. Everything in the store is now 20% off. He has some ice fishing things in the mix as well. Too bad. I have got some nice things at a good price from that store.  :%$#!:

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
Re: Cortland Line Store closing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:39 AM »
What a bummer.   Back in the mid-90s the guys who worked there were exceptional.

I pretty much based my decision to attend SUNY Cortland on the proximity to that Factory Store (and, I guess, some lightly pressured trout streams in rural Cortland County).

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:47 AM »
Good thing I have 18 Cortland lines in my collection. I can see them going offshore  :-\

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline h2oworld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:26 AM »
The Cortland Line factory is not going anywhere at this time. A company bought them out and is retooling their operations. Factory store off 81 is closing and they layed off some employees. As of now they will still make line.

Offline thomas jones

• IceShanty Rookie
  • eric
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:45 PM »
Bought a spinning rod there a few years ago and some line.It was some best line I ever used sorry to see it close

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:20 PM »
That's sad news to fly fishermen. Years ago I sold tandem buck tail streamers to Joe at the old store on Rt281. That store was my best customer. I tried to get them in the new store with a new manager a couple of years ago; but he told me they weren't doing very well then. Hopefully the factory will keep making line. I know it's world famous. It's sad to see shops like that close.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:46 AM »
Just another victim of the Internet and big box sales. Those who want a great Rod know where to find them on the Internet from custom builders or, as I do, make them for themselves. Most others buy offshore junk at the big box.

I was in that store several times over the last 6 or so years. I traveled over that way for work. I may have purchased a few lines from them. I'm not an impulse buyer. I decide what I want then go look for it. I would never have driven there just to look around.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:59 AM »
I believe  the  Cortland  store  is  not owned  by the  actual  Cortland  factory and  I  do  believe that it has  closed  several times  to reopen under new management ..... I  could  be  wrong but I  don't  think the  makers  of  Cortland  protects  owns  the  store

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:53 AM »
You're right Trapper. The store on Rt 281 was run by J.M. Murray, a rehabilatation center which was behind the old store. Not sure who operated the Rt 81 store. Maybe if someone on disability interested in operating a small business could contact J.M. Murray and start a new one someplace.
I met Joe after I hurt my back and was trying to sell fishing lures all around the Fingerlakes. That's when I ran into little bait and tackle shops around the lakes struggling to stay open competing with the big box stores like Rg mentioned.
So, try to support your local bait and tackle shops fellas, they need you help to stay afloat. Plus they share good information with their customers because they want your business.  ;)

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:43 AM »
I stopped in the store yesterday and talked to the guy who runs is.Believe his name is Rich. I asked him what's in store for him once the store closes ( April 15th) and he said he will then be helping out at the factory preparing for a big sale they are planning there. Got some great deals while there including a bunch of stuff he gave me for free.  :thumbsup:

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:37 AM »
Looks like New York State eats up another company. Don't get me wrong, I love NY, but work is going, going, going.
My job went to Mexico last year - luckily they still had room for me in another plant up the road...
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:53 AM »
I stopped in the store yesterday and talked to the guy who runs is.Believe his name is Rich. I asked him what's in store for him once the store closes ( April 15th) and he said he will then be helping out at the factory preparing for a big sale they are planning there. Got some great deals while there including a bunch of stuff he gave me for free.  :thumbsup:
he gave that stuff to you bigal because no one else wanted it .. ;D.did u blow the dust off :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:..free is always good even if it dont work :whistle: :whistle:

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:55 AM »
Thats a bummer its closing it was a decent store..lots a things are closing if it wasnt for basspro our mall would be empty..

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:31 AM »
I'm not too awfully shocked. Everyone that I've been in there, I've been treated like a POS. Good riddance, IMO.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:39 AM »
We really don't have any fly shops around the area anymore. Had an Orvis dealer in Endwell close and now this store. Gander Mt carries a few fly stuff but the last time I went there the shelves were mostly bare in that isle. Can get some things off internet but I like to look at something before buying. Bass Pro in Auburn has a decent fly shop but it's an 1 1/2 hr drive for me. That's too bad you were treated that way gonephishin. Every time I've been there I was treated very well and the guy is quite helpful.  ??? ???

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Rich has always treated me well. E mailed me when stuff went on sale and I always walked out of there with something that I did not pay for. Be it a book, reel pouch, stickers, hats etc. Shame, I liked stopping in on my way to Binghamton.

Offline fishslayer730

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:41 PM »
that sucks  :pinch: I own over 50 of their rods(the only open water brand I buy)and about 20 fly reels and every fly line I own is Cortland, only mono I buy also  and I have bought a bunch a rods for my kids too...the best part about them was their warrantee( one salmon season I snaped a fly rod 5 times in one week, one of them days I picked up my in the am n was back before they closed to get it replaced again and rod repair guy at factory never ask what happened just handed me a new rod or a half that wasnt broke) until that changed couple yrs ago and they started charging me $40 to fix a rod(not replace) I know after that it would not be long till they are gone for good....deff a bummer to see a company over 100yrs old fall apart >:( >:( >:(  guess its time to put the rest of them I use in storage and look for a new brand that has a insane warrantee and I really don't care if I pay $500 for one rod as long as it has a warrantee like corltand use to have

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:42 PM »
Thats a bummer its closing it was a decent store..lots a things are closing if it wasnt for basspro our mall would be empty..
and there is more rumors now the ProBass will be leaving auburn...

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:52 AM »
Yes i heard basspro is going into destiny usa in syracuse..

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:03 AM »
Just talked to my buddy that works at basspro there not leaving auburn ;D

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:53 AM »
he gave that stuff to you bigal because no one else wanted it .. ;D.did u blow the dust off :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:..free is always good even if it dont work :whistle: :whistle:
Hey he gave me a mess of braided line that will work for fly line backing and tip ups. Also some braided ice line. Didn't even know Cortland made that. I'm set for some time now.  :thumbsup:

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:04 AM »
Just talked to my buddy that works at basspro there not leaving auburn ;D
De-he-he-he-cent. I'd like them to stick around so I can keep wasting my paychecks and filling my garage.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:57 AM »
Bass pro is set to build a monster location in Victor ny. Pretty sure they break ground this spring.

Rg

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:48 AM »
That would be a good location also...

Offline fishslayer730

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:06 AM »
stopped in and help clean out some wall space

theirs still a good selection left for now....till I stop in next week ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum