Author Topic: Simcoe Whitefish  (Read 777 times)

Offline randaller

• IceShanty Rookie
Simcoe Whitefish
« on: Feb 18, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Every whitefish I have caught out of Simcoe has been by accident while fishing for lake trout. Every time I actually target WF I come up empty. So, this weekend we decided to target only WF and try to actually learn how to catch them.
A few other buddies and I decided to try a “new” spot this weekend. Another buddy was there the weekend before and saw tonnes of whites all day so why not give it a try.

We set up in 63 fow and started marking right away. We were running a one/two punch with set lines with a minnow and a Vibrato next to it. It was neat seeing the fish come into look at the Vibrato then head straight to the minnow. We fished Saturday, Monday and Tuesday (I don’t think I left the house on Sunday) I certainly wasn’t the warmest weekend but once you were in the hut with the heat on it was ok.

We ended up tagging a few lakers over the three days too with lots of little guys (15” and under). It was actually nice to see all those little guys.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Simcoe Whitefish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:34 PM »
Nice, I would love to have a day on the ice like that one. I have only fished Simcoe a few times and both were okay but not that Okay.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:12 AM »
love those golden whitefish. Amazing the color variation you can get in the one lake.

Part of my golas for this season is to get my first laker and whitefish.  Have only been out for them once so far, had a couple of chasers but didn't hook up. Going to try again on Tuesday hopefully, mainly focusing on whitefish.   

Wish me luck!

Chute82

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Even us yanks got into the whitefish on simco

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2015, 01:31 PM »
Great post and pics! some real nice looking whities and  lakers!  congrats!
Tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.