Author Topic: quincy/mtsterling area  (Read 801 times)

Offline redneck7519

• IceShanty Rookie
quincy/mtsterling area
« on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:17 PM »
 hello is there anyone who is from the Mt sterling Quincy area. Been out once this year in early January then the ice was gone after I took the time to build a ice shanty. Wondering if with this cold snap if we will have some fishable hard water I fish mostly local farm pounds that are acre to a couple acres.

Offline Crappie Day11

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: quincy/mtsterling area
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:56 PM »
I fished monday a few miles north west of rushville and their was bout 5-6 inch of ice.

Offline redneck7519

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Cool a couple of pounds I fish are between Rushville and Mt.sterling but they had no ice on them last Friday when I was out there

Offline Crappie Day11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:50 PM »
ya it should be really putting it on with the weather we have now.

Offline redneck7519

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:17 PM »
I'm hoping so liked to get out again. Big gills and bass await me and I also have a new pond to try it is my bosses and no one has fished it in at least 3 years and he said old gentleman that used to (last to fish it) before he past away would catch big crappie,gills and cat out of it and boss told me it is at least 30' deep with dead oak trees in the bottom of it.

Offline Crappie Day11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:24 PM »
That sounds like a good'n..

Offline redneck7519

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Boss isn't sure if there is any fish left in it been so long since anyone has fished it and he doesn't pay any attention to it just farms around it did say it gets a coat of duck weed in the summer time

Offline Bj1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:57 PM »
I should go try it out for you...i'll give you a report...no really I will...

Offline redneck7519

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:53 PM »
Lol I think I can handle it just got to wait for the weekend to try it and hope the weather cooperates and I get a chance to tie up some more jigs.

Offline redneck7519

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:02 PM »
Well I and my nephews went out today to try the ice out on the new pond. It was snow covered from the storm last night walked out about ten feet beating it with my walking stick as I went. Pushed the snow away with my foot and drilled a hole. Ice auger went through easy and was marking ice thickness (have inch marks on my auger handel) when I realized it was hair less than 2" . That's when the boom like thunder struck water started gushing up the hole and my nephews say I jumped more like a deer than human. Standing on the bank looking at where I had drilled the hole was a hole you could of dropped a fridge through and my walking stick floating with the chunks of ice some how kept auger in my hand. We stood there and watched the wet spot grow through the snow to cover about half an acre. I guess you can call that a close call. I think our season here is done 5" of snow sitting on the ice will keep it from freezing in the next weeks cold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.