Author Topic: Lakers and Pike report.  (Read 835 times)

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
Lakers and Pike report.
« on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:15 PM »
Hi all,

Finally got out for some Lakers this morning for a couple of hours. I'm lucky enough to have a buddy who has his shack out on a lake that is a direct , 15 minute sled ride from my house. Got there at around 9am and left at 11:30am.

The shack is set up in 28'FOW on a flat muddy area of the lake. Bite was non existent for the first hour, but we busied ourselves playing around with his new LX9. Its an ok piece of gear but it does not have a boat transducer available, no GPS and my cheap as chips Lowrance graph does the same job his graph does for $1000 less. The camera is so-so. Overall a disappointing piece of gear for the price you pay.

The bite turned on in style for an hour at 10am. The trout preferring my offering of a medium minnow on a 1/8oz brown jig over my buddy Carmon's offering of double twister tail on a whistler jig.

I did use a Rapala Rattlin' Rap lipless crank to 'call them in' then quickly swapped to the live bait once the fish arrived on screen.

They wanted to chase, if you stopped reeling they would call off their attack. I was getting them to chase it 20' feet of the bottom before they would hit, fun to watch on screen.

My buddy hooked into what he thought was going to be the biggest trout he has ever had on this lake, turned out to be a nice 35" pike, he was not impressed, it went back without even a picture….lol.

I kept my limit of trout, donating the darker one to my buddy for his smoker, the darker ones on this lake have the orange/pink meat.

Here is a short video of the mornings action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQ5Mqh2KEQ
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lakers and Pike report.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Nice fish, thanks for the adventure.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2015, 01:48 PM »
You do know, don't you VC, that in order to outwit a fish, the angler has to be smarter than the fish? :roflmao: Sorry buddy! I just couldn't resist the temptation. Actually I was jealous because you were out jigging for laker's and I wasn't. Something I dearly love to do. Were you using an airplane jig? Any bait on it? Any special color? My rule of thumb when jigging for lake trout through the ice, you can use any color you want, as log as it's white! ;DDIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2015, 02:00 PM »
You do know, don't you VC, that in order to outwit a fish, the angler has to be smarter than the fish? :roflmao: Sorry buddy! I just couldn't resist the temptation. Actually I was jealous because you were out jigging for laker's and I wasn't. Something I dearly love to do. Were you using an airplane jig? Any bait on it? Any special color? My rule of thumb when jigging for lake trout through the ice, you can use any color you want, as log as it's white! ;DDIRTBALL2 ;)2

Like I said in my write up, just a brown 1/8oz jig with a minnow. Used a lipless ratlin' crank bait to 'call' them in.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.