Author Topic: New info on the bite?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
New info on the bite?
« on: Feb 16, 2015, 10:56 PM »
  Headed back up to NESD next Tuesday 24th  i know fishing is pretty slow right now just kinda curious what everyone is finding out?  Heard Piyas and Buffalo might be worth trying?  When i was up in January we mainly fished Bitter but that dint sound like it is producing much now.  Waubay sounds like it might be okay along with Reetz? Last ice fishing trip for us till next season would love to go out with a bang. Any new info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New info on the bite?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:45 AM »

Offline tornadochaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Driving right past some good bites to get up to those lakes... ;)

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:28 PM »
oh yeah? what lakes might those hot bites be on?

Offline tornadochaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:34 AM »
oh yeah? what lakes might those hot bites be on?

Not going to say where I've been fishing; nothing kills the bite faster & I like not having anybody fishing within a mile of me.  My point is, there are quality bites to be found on lakes other than Indian, Bitter, Waubay, and Dry 2.
  In general, I've done a lot better picking lakes based on walleye populations this year than picking "perch" lakes, so I will say that if I was driving up to Day Co to fish, I'd be interested in fishing lakes like Rush, Antelope by Reetz, or some of the other lakes that have a lot of classic SD structure but don't get the pressure that the big name lakes get. 

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:25 PM »
I hear yeah there chaser! I check the gill net and DNR surveys. I do lots of my own homework, normally it pays off.  Just like to see if there is any new info is all. thank you for your advice, I will keep digging

Offline lastapproach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:26 AM »
Fishing has been tough for me this year haven't found a consistant bite at all.... Early ice was hot after that sub par. Hopefully late ice is hot this year.
Jiffy STX Pro II 10in, 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 450, Otter Outdoors Ice Lodge, Flx-28, White 2010 Duramax 2500 Crew Cab, Rocky Boots, Cabelas Camo Coat, Camo Under Armour Hat, and Insulated Blue Jeans. Beats sitting in school!

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:31 AM »
I found that to be the case with alot of folks, myself included.   I think it has alot to do with the up and down weather we have been seeing and that lack of stability contributing to inconsistent bite.  I've have some of my best days when if you looked at the forecast you probably would have thought bite would be tough and struggled on days when I thought was going to kill'em.  I've been doing best in places that traditionally wouldn't have tried because that isn't where they should be.  Just got to keep punching holes and think outside the box sometimes is the message Im taking from this year.   Its what I love about the sport, constantly keeps you on your toes in order to figure out the puzzle each day.

Offline bird50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Yep- Id say this has been my toughest year ever.  I usually like to be one of the first to find a new bite but been thinking it may be time to chase the herd.  Should have some ice to play with for a while now.  Keep after 'em!

Offline andrew229

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2015, 01:26 PM »
I havent found any sort of pattern. My friends and I have been trying everything from 5 fow to 25, structure and basins, havent seen anything consistent yet, but we've caught enough just to keep us going out looking for more. I'm kind of excited for later ice, maybe theyll be a little more ready to bite in a few weeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.