Author Topic: Granby 2-14-2015  (Read 1941 times)

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
Granby 2-14-2015
« on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Got to the lake at 6AM, unloaded the sleds and headed for Ford's Hump.  We fished 65FOW and had pretty good action but no size to the fish.  They were pretty finicky too, not hitting any jigs of size.  I downsized all the way to a size 8 rat finkee with split shot above it and started to connect.  Ended up with 18 fish total at Ford's though none were over 19".  Kind of disappointing.

We moved to Rocky Point and fished the break.  Very slow there and only marked three fish in an hour and a half, landing one about 17". 

We finished the day back at Fords at our holes from the morning.  I was there about 3-4 minutes when some guy came and drilled 25 yards away from us.  How rude of some people.  I get it's public water and all that but there's no shortage of rude fishermen out there. 

Nothing worth taking pictures of this trip but it was great to get bit.

Offline Checkmarks

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Granby 2-14-2015
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2015, 10:02 PM »
How rude fishing 25 yards away from you?  You were fishing on a known unique feature of the lake and seemingly  wanted more space.  That sounds ridiculous!  Next time out when i paint a blue strip with a 25 yard diameter  circle on Fords hump dont cross my line.  Now if you were at your exclusibe non-significant gps location i might have a very little compassion for this situation.   Check to see if you were fishing his gps location maybe you were in his spot, then who is rude.  Small world, lets see if we can share it with each other.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:13 AM »
ice fishing is a "social" sport.

You fish here and "So-Shall" I! ;D ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Granbysbia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:30 AM »
Hump the hump this year...we are seeing same thing there, nothing but little ones

Offline slipsliden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Turn your marcum on and they'll leave...  :)

Offline Checkmarks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:26 PM »
I am getting out my marcum.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:28 PM »
I am getting out my marcum.

You bust out the marcum and all the vexes and lowrances will vacate.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2015, 01:09 PM »
I would never do this but my question is...does it really matter?  When this happens to me when I'm catching fish, I've never seen the bite stop because of it.  Snowmobiles are another story...

Maybe the dude will use something that catches fish that you're not using.  The point made that you might be at his spot is possible too.   ???

Offline slipsliden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:00 PM »
I've been that guy where it does matter.. Catching fish all morning and a couple of people drill it up 50' away and i never catch another fish and they are.. They cut off the route the fish were using to get to me.. Again... Marcum...

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2015, 05:45 PM »
If you are at a location first, it is YOUR spot for as long as you are there. You leave, it is up for grabs. Somebody shows up and asks to post up, a lot of people will say great drill a hole. I like the quiet or conversations with my close friends I'm fishing with. Not a bunch of loud people drinking and carrying on rodding their junk sleds in a circle cause they can't get on the bite.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:20 PM »
I never condoned the practice of fishing atop some one but it is legal for them to do so.  Its no different than the boat that anchors next to yours or the guy who moves into you spot on the river when you head to the restroom.  No one likes when it happens but we share the rivers and lakes...not own them.  Colorado is a crowded western State with lots of folks wanting to fish the same waters.

Perhaps its the time to promote fishing ethics or ethics for use of any of the public outdoors for multiuse.  I personally would ban all snow machines, ATVs, dirt bikes, jet skis and most bicycles but no one would likely listen.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:42 PM »
If the people would have asked me if they could fish there I would have said yes.  That's what I meant by rude. 

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:27 PM »
I think 25 yards on very well known piece of structure like fords hump is totally reasonable (who knows, maybe my GPS point is the same as yours!) so long as the people aren't just there to throw a party and made noise.   You guys would probably have a heart attack fishing some of the well known perch lakes on the east coast (commence, "well id never f'ing go to the east coast anyway" comments).  You get 50 to 100 guys crowded over a popular perch bed on Lake George and then we can talk about rude fisherman.   Your lucky to get 10 yards.  But, everyone manages to get along, because we're all out there to have fun and catch fish.

Just last month on Granby I was fishing right off the ramp at rainbow bay and maybe 10 people with 5 or 6 snow machines (yes they took their snow machines to go 100 yards from their trucks) posted up way less than 25 yards away, and proceeded to run their augers for 15 minutes turning the whole area to swiss cheese, I was pretty much surrounded.  Fishing was junk anyway, so I moved.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:45 AM »
_colorado Im pretty sure it was you years back fishing the colorado river same day as me and a buddy. We where up river from pumphouse the first big hole where the river turns north and you wade across the small creek and proceed to wade in front of us and start flyfishing. After your first drift you half ass asked if it was cool. Got to love  Karma

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for showing me that three fingers pointing back at me on this one.  You have a long memory.  I don't recall any specifics but I can't deny recalling the location.  If I busted your hole that day, I apologize. 

BTW, how'd you make out the rest of that day?   ;)  We managed quite a mixed bag, everything but a pike.

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Thats funny I do remember the dumbest crap and it was you. Heck even a good sport after getting called out  ;D How did we do my guess is good being thats really the only place we fish open water in this state for the last 20 years. Never eally given flyfishing a shot there just throw rapalas. Last years big water was epic fishing.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:16 AM »
Those flailers are all SAVAGES! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:22 AM »
I haven't picked up a fly rod in about 3-4 years but have been tying flies this winter. I think this may be the year to pick the fly rod up and savage my way through other people's holes and make more new friends.   ;D

Tom - have a good year and thanks again for alerting me.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:30 AM »
I haven't picked up a fly rod in about 3-4 years but have been tying flies this winter. I think this may be the year to pick the fly rod up and savage my way through other people's holes and make more new friends.   ;D

Tom - have a good year and thanks again for alerting me.

Hey I flail at least a couple times every year.  High lakes with big dries is the bomb! 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:24 AM »
I did see some Flairs tearing it up last year. Big stuff SJ, Crane Flies , big stones flies etc. _colorado if I see you this year I will give you a beer before you take our spot  ;D  Guess I can't give to much crap my childhood buddys have really gotten into fishing and have no clue about mriver etiquette . I don't say anything and just sit back and watch the look those bozo's get from other anglers.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:08 PM »
river etiquette was lost a long time ago... I stopped flyfishing the now popular stretches of river when i was on the colorado with my brother... he was catching fish i wasnt and in brotherly competition wouldnt let him tell me what he was using... soon enough a man worked downstreeam to him... cast downstream over his upstream cast and ripped it in to see his set up.... theres too many people not willing to do there work and take there lumps... i assume its the same on ice now as well... but like it was said previously if you fish a well known spot don't be angry... most etiquette is long gone these days.... i would compare it to flyfishing gold medal waters..... its no secret and everyone wants to fish it... i dont anymore because i prefer my solitude...

at green mt. res ive been fishing 110 ft of water alone and picking up fish mid day around 1pm when most everyone ive been talking too has been huddled around big green in 40 ft and not catching much... i began fishing away from people because im not into the heard mentality unless with friends... i enjoy my space... if someone drills a hole 20 yrds from me i will  just move ... just my preference... besides moving to get away from people has led me to fish new spots with success ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.