The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Delaware River  (Read 4570 times)

Offline jiggaray

• IceShanty Rookie
Delaware River
« on: Feb 16, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Anyone doing anything with the walleye in the river? Is anything fishable at the Gap?

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Delaware River
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Go take a ride and find out

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:25 PM »
hey delawareriver, you better off to say nothing

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2015, 07:30 AM »
I think anyone who knows anything isn't sending anyone anywhere on the delaware.

Even I've been beaten into secrecy and can't post a a specific report until March 15th.

Hey, I heard the Leigh is frozen down by 33, they're probably hammering all sorts of fish down there.

But...

Dr. JM

My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:02 PM »
You  are right . I got hell for posting on Face book in a spot thousands see every day lol. It is a big river ,find an eddy that has rocky bottom and you will find them.
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline thomps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:12 PM »
yea say nothing where you do good. and when you see some fishermen stuck in a unplowed state parking lot ,flip them the bird and be on your way. this is the way to be a great sportsmen

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:41 PM »
well put thomps

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2015, 07:37 PM »
Why would someone get stuck in an unplowed parking lot???  I drive a Toyota Corolla to fish the D and I know better than to drive into an unplowed lot.

Actually the two best holes producing walleye from our observation driving from Narrowsburg to the gap - there is no lot.

And in the great popular holes, well, logic stands to say, the lots have been stomped down.  Heck, after 7am, you don't even have to drill a hole, there are holes drilled into holes drilled into holes.  Trade an easy haul and easy lot for.....more people, more judgment, more noise, more potential birds to flip, a few less fish, or excuse me, a few less desirable fish that you'll catch a ton of and a majority of them won't bite.  Wow, what a riddle.

The better spots - without lots, people, birds, noise, and fish that haven't seen the glint of a shiny treble - had 10 and 12 holes drilled into them 3 weeks ago, had the same amount of frozen over holes two weeks ago, and will still have the same amount of iced over holes this Sunday, albeit probably refrozen all the way thru 16 inches thick or thicker.

If that's not enough of a report without giving up GPS coordinates and exact spots and what's being caught, couldn't tell you what is.

Dr. JM

My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2015, 10:20 PM »
JM, The aquarium pool on the Big D is locked up tight and calling my name for this weekend, yea, its a hike, but we don't hafta deal with 100 other people. Hell, we won't hafta deal with a single other person I'm sure since I've still yet to ever see another person ice fish it  ;)
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:38 AM »
Its an idea, Ski, then again, me and Ralph have been pi$$ing daily into the big bushkill hoping to warm the water up some and head to the hole we've been coveting.

Then you have Arek who wants to ice fish the Brodhead in two key locations.  One you know, the other has ziggy willing to try.

We got some options for balmy Sunday.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Always wanted to hike down the NJ. side under the old trussel. Long walk down there but deep hole. I saw ski walking off the ice two weeks ago. Must of been 20 people fishing for cats . Like your pack Ski. Keep it light. ;)

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:17 PM »
My best spot produces 25-30 walleyes every year, and from.what I know 6 guys fish it and out of the guys I'm the only guy that will take one or two 18-22" walleyes. The other guys are strictily catch and release and it shows.

Not to mention the safety factor. If you know what you are doing you don't have to ask for reports, if you gotta ask for safe reports on river ice you probably shouldn't be on river ice. Its a lot more complicated then saying there is safe ice because river conditions change daily and in within a foot or two can go from 18" of black ice to skim ice.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:00 PM »
My best spot produces 25-30 walleyes every year, and from.what I know 6 guys fish it and out of the guys I'm the only guy that will take one or two 18-22" walleyes. The other guys are strictily catch and release and it shows.

Not to mention the safety factor. If you know what you are doing you don't have to ask for reports, if you gotta ask for safe reports on river ice you probably shouldn't be on river ice. Its a lot more complicated then saying there is safe ice because river conditions change daily and in within a foot or two can go from 18" of black ice to skim ice.

But we all just want all the fish for ourselves according to the internet experts  ::) ::)   I know for a fact atleast 1 member that has read this thread went trolling after the ice he was on broke loose and atleast a half dozen others have gotten off just before the ice they were on broke loose. Anyone can say the ice is "safe" but if they didn't scout both upstream and downstream they have ZERO clue if that ice is at risk of breaking loose and floating down the river  ;)   Than again, if anyone who actually believes river ice is safe, I know a psychiatrist you can go to  :whistle:

Like your pack Ski. Keep it light. ;)

I spend way too much time hiking up and down hills to get to all my river spots between the Susky and Delaware to drag a sled. Pack light is my moto when it comes to the rivers  ;D  The only time I ever really drag a sled is if I'm taking my dad out or if we are throwing a party where I bring the grill out

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:11 AM »
Hey Ski, let me know if we're driving the car out onto the river this Sunday, I'll go and try to find some new tires tomorrow.

Dr. JM

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2015, 01:54 PM »
I saw several large sections on an Eddie float down thr river ny my house yesterday. Four 50 ft x 25ft rectangular sections. Hit the rapids and got stuck, crumbled up and jutting out of thr water, looks 12-16" thick. Also out from my dock a large Crack formed with water seeping up, I would have sworn the current would have taken by now but is holding strong.

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:39 AM »
http://poconorecord.com/article/20150222/NEWS/150229832

Looks like a lot of people were out on the Water Gap this weekend.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:10 AM »
and I was way up the river dealing with the huge crowd of 3 people, including myself, on Saturday ;D  and Sunday drilling holes into ice that hasn't seen a hole drilled into it to my knowledge in this decade  ;)

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:10 AM »
http://poconorecord.com/article/20150222/NEWS/150229832

Looks like a lot of people were out on the Water Gap this weekend.

Actually, that picture isn't from this past weekend, its from at least last weekend if not before.  You can see Arek (in the orange and black) and Ralph (in the beige coat next to him) and probably me and I know I wasn't there this weekend.

Ski, you seriously gonna keep that spot and report and pictures to yourself?  Mucho props, given I was the last one to fish that spot on that river in 2009 I believe, but still, with all the new believers that river ice is so much fun and so safe, send them south.  Give the catfish a chance to heal.

I'm still thinking of icefishing the brodhead sometime this week.  Let me know.  It closes Sunday remember, and that includes Red Rocks.  Ice fishing big rivers are a norm, your new spot ups the ante, icefishing for trout, stripers, walleye, in a mountain trout stream, well.................. ............

Dr. JM

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:45 AM »
I won't be posting that up soon, if ever on here. I'm not gonna have blood on my hands when some internet river ice expert ends up dying because they don't know how to scout river ice properly  ::)   I lost over an inch of ice in that spot in 45 minutes on Sunday and had open water that most likely skimmed over both up and down from me. It's no longer safe in my eyes (and I packed up my gear and left after only 2 hours because of it) but wouldn't stop some people from going out because they read about it online  :cookoo:

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:57 PM »
I AGREE WITH YOU 100% SKI HUNTER,STAY SAFE BROTHER. :)

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:06 AM »
I won't be posting that up soon, if ever on here. I'm not gonna have blood on my hands when some internet river ice expert ends up dying because they don't know how to scout river ice properly  ::)   I lost over an inch of ice in that spot in 45 minutes on Sunday and had open water that most likely skimmed over both up and down from me. It's no longer safe in my eyes (and I packed up my gear and left after only 2 hours because of it) but wouldn't stop some people from going out because they read about it online  :cookoo:
   :thumbsup: EXACTLY !!!
Jim K.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2015, 03:55 AM »
I have fished the Gap for almost 2 months now . Time for a change. Going to hit my crappie ponds now. Plenty of ice and idots down there still. Not many going for Eyes . Just Cats. Saw that baby cariage down there again yesterday.  :cookoo: I am done there. Waiting to here about a drowning soon. People never learn. I did good this year. I will post pics when the ice is gone ;)

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2015, 11:35 AM »
I have fished the Gap for almost 2 months now . Time for a change. Going to hit my crappie ponds now. Plenty of ice and idots down there still. Not many going for Eyes . Just Cats. Saw that baby cariage down there again yesterday.  :cookoo: I am done there. Waiting to here about a drowning soon. People never learn. I did good this year. I will post pics when the ice is gone ;)

My guess is gonna be they are down there until someone drowns and if they don't hear about it, will still be out there after ::)    The news outlets have created a new breed of river ice fishermen that have no clue what they are doing but have convinced themselves they know all they need to. Of all the guys down there I wonder if theres even a single rope between them if someone goes thru  ???

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2015, 04:12 PM »
As we say good bye to the ice this year, let me say it was a good one. Hope you all had fun out there too. :thumbsup:

Offline pasaint77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Nice fish! Caught a bunch myself this year but that ones a beauty!

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2015, 10:39 PM »
A pair of beauties there wired  ;D ;D   

I didn't do well at the gap this year with only a short eye, a perch and some cats in the 2 quick morning trips I put in before i couldn't deal with the whole fiasco down there. On the other spots I fished, I had the best season I've ever had on her though including multiple double digit mornings. Too bad the season is closed north of 84 because they were biting well yesterday morning and I still had 22" of ice when I walked off at noon

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 16, 2015, 07:24 AM »
Was a tough year for me, i explored several new areas down south where I've never seen it freeze before. Definitely got away from the crowds from up north but the fishing was tough, couple walleyes, nice 14" crappies and some panfish. Did get my personal best tho

Offline pasaint77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:23 AM »
Very nice eye! I've never caught any crappie out of the river but did get into some huge perch this year! Nice fish guys! Keep up the good work

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Very nice eye! I've never caught any crappie out of the river but did get into some huge perch this year! Nice fish guys! Keep up the good work

I never got into any perch on the river until this winter. I got into atleast a few on every pool I hit too.

Was a tough year for me, i explored several new areas down south where I've never seen it freeze before. Definitely got away from the crowds from up north but the fishing was tough, couple walleyes, nice 14" crappies and some panfish. Did get my personal best tho

Except for the gap I never shared the ice with more than a hand full of guys, even fishing some of the very popular holes  ???   Old holes all over the place but more often than not when I was there early on weekends I was all alone  ;D   It got slow for me mid season (didn't even mark more than a few fish) and than started picking back up right as the season was closing

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Nice eye you got there. The gap was good to me this year. All the yahoos where on the other side going for cats. Not much pressure for eyes. Good afternoon bite. You did have to work for them. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.