Author Topic: Crappie with Eggs  (Read 4305 times)

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Crappie with Eggs
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2015, 03:56 PM »
As stated, it's very common to catch crappie with eggs in the fall and definitely in the winter (it would be more odd to catch a female crappie that didn't have eggs this time of year). As for it being an indicator of an early spawn, absolute false. Also, catching "spawning" crappie in temps under 50 degrees, also very unlikely, as it would almost certainly mean a dead spawn.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Does that mean instead of dropping a 'mudshark' you drop 'mudcrappies' instead?   :o :sick:  Or maybe it is just a crappie crappy. :blink: :afro:

I think we might have to defer to tomes1987 as the resident expert on that one! LMAO or slabgill  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2015, 06:15 PM »
As stated, it's very common to catch crappie with eggs in the fall and definitely in the winter (it would be more odd to catch a female crappie that didn't have eggs this time of year). As for it being an indicator of an early spawn, absolute false. Also, catching "spawning" crappie in temps under 50 degrees, also very unlikely, as it would almost certainly mean a dead spawn.

Wallydiven has caught Spawning Crappies in 45 degrees....... any biologist that can weigh in on this?

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:15 PM »
And here I thought I had a new breakfast recipe ??? ;)

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:46 PM »
I'm no biologist, but my understanding of crappie behavior is that they typically begin spawning when water temps reach the low fifties.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2015, 10:26 PM »
You and my mom! She love the eggs..... Fry's them along with the fish in Iron skillet no "new fangled fry daddy's" for her. I save them all for her. My Dad who has passed used to shake his head at her.... he would not eat them. He called them poor man's caviar

My gramdpa would eat them too, I never got the hang of eating them. Course my gramps grew up in the depression so most people from that time didn't waste anything, they ate allot of things just to stay alive.

BTW Snowflake, do you fish Nyona allot? I used to until last yr I found S.Mud was better, u might try there next time. Last yr I caught gills on S.Mud way after dark up to 10-11:00pm

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline MarcumPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish stories told here!!!! Some true...
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2015, 10:39 PM »
Nyona was really hot 2 weeks ago, blew south mud away, caught a bunch at mud too prior to that but the size wasn't there like it was at nyona
Mitch

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:47 AM »
I had a female bluegill in one of my basement tanks bursting with eggs when I was grading sizes last week.  I guess she wants spring to come soon!  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline panfishpopper85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Crappies ive caught have had eggs through the ice ..every year its the same.

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:31 PM »
[/quote

Thanks ! That clears it up! ::)

Offline panfishpopper85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:24 PM »
[/quote

Thanks ! That clears it up! ::)
lol had too ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.