Author Topic: march 21st weekend  (Read 1968 times)

Offline bluefin75

• Team IceShanty Regular
march 21st weekend
« on: Feb 14, 2015, 06:47 PM »
A few guys an I are thinking about coming up in march on the 21st just wondering if the ice is going to hang on that long or if I should bring the boat lol. If we go we will be fishing bitter or waubay thanks for any info

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: march 21st weekend
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2015, 06:55 PM »
the last I heard the ne corner had 24 to 28 inches , by the time you come up you may need a boat

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:10 PM »
I would think 28 inches would take more than 2 weeks to melt??

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:07 AM »
Starting tomorrow will begin a warmup that extends for atleast 7-10days.  It doesnt matter how much ice is there as shorelines will start first and access will become an issue.  With very little snow cover on the ground it will happen quicker than normal.  I would be very cautious here on out as the winter has been a mix of really cold weather and stretchs of really warm weather.  The ice has never been the in the best shape because of the up and down weather.  Good luck and stay safe.

Offline tornadochaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Been looking back through some hunting journals getting ready for spring snow goose season; the third full week of March 2012 we had to drive nearly to North Dakota to find snow geese, and most of the guys at our hotel that week were either open water fishing or trapping muskrats.  Could barely park a trailer in the lot there was so many boats.
Other years we've ice fished south of US hwy 12 yet the first weekend of april, so it just goes to show, you cannot predict how fast the ice will go out in march in SD.  I'd venture to bet that this spring will be much like 2012, due to lack of snow cover and what the extended forecast is showing.  Spikes, rope, and life jackets aren't a bad idea to toss in the shack from here on out.

Offline bird50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:44 PM »
If the overnight temps stay above freezing, and toss in some wind, we'll be done for in a week.....

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2015, 11:39 PM »
Canceled our trip for Thursday, officially calling it a season

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Don't bother. Just got back from Webster. Took a wheeler, we got along ok but the ice was sketchy. Edges all but trash, try to drill an 8" hole and end up with a 14" hole because of the shards of ice coming out. If we hadn't been on 23" of that crappy ice I wouldn't been around long. All the lakes are getting grey. Shore fishing will be going soon! Can't wait for ice next year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.