New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Need help with wooden tip up maintenance  (Read 1034 times)

Offline pikeorbust

• IceShanty Rookie
Need help with wooden tip up maintenance
« on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:14 PM »
I have a combination of HT (high tech fishing) and South Bend wooden tip ups. I know the reels need to be lubricated occasionally, but I am not sure of which kind of lubricant to use or how much I should use. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need help with wooden tip up maintenance
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:27 PM »
i'm surprised you have to lubricate them.  I have some wooden ones that are 25 years old and never had to.  Might be because they have plastic spools.  i would suggest a couple drops of dry silicon lube.  It dries up and is waterproof.  Though I would keep it off your line.  Synthetic bicycle chain lube might work too.  Marine grease might be another option.  Finally, I think HT or Frabill sells tip-up lube but the other stuff might work if you can't find it anymore this year.

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:37 PM »
Get tip up grease. Made for cold conditions. Biggest factor with the brands you mentioned is the quality. I have had issues with the main shaft rusting if that's the case take some steel wool and shine them up best you can. I'm a big fan of frabill and beaver dam tip ups. If you have the chance at a store spin them like a fish is on and you will notice a huge differents in quality. Good fishing..

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2015, 01:10 AM »
Never put a drop of lube on any of our wooden tip ups (some of which are more than 50 years old), and they all turn perfectly smooth (metal reels).

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2015, 07:29 AM »
I just bought some reel grease for the same reason. I have polar tip ups that are over 12-15 years old. They aren't as smooth as they used to be. I took the center shaft out af a few of them. They still have grease, but a little rust as well. I haven't operated yet, but was planning on just using the reel grease.? Is this a bad idea?
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2015, 07:35 AM »
I Always lube mine.Before each ice season. Get the right lube. Its for tip ups. Mines blue in color.Works great.

Offline olejimmy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IF ANYTHING CAN GO WRONG, IT PROBABLY ALREADY HAS
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2015, 09:50 AM »
I have found that mineral oil, a natural laxative, found in any drug store works well. it does not freeze and sticks to everything. will not harm fish or contaminate the water. also good for keeping exposed lines from freezing in the ice hole. Just pool some around the line at the water surface, and it will keep it clear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.