New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Caroga lake  (Read 508 times)

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
Caroga lake
« on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Hey guys. A friend of mine wants me to take him on the ice. He owns a camp on the west side of Caroga. Right next to the channel that connects the east and west lakes. Ive never fished this lake before. I've read that there's pickerel, perch, splake in there. I would probably target the splake and maybe perch. As far as the splake, would you fish them pretty much like lakers? I know they are a cross with LT and brookies, but I've never fished for them. Should I head out towards the deeper water? Fish the drop off's? I just would like to get him to catch some fish. I will be jigging and probably set up some tip ups too. Any helpful info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Caroga lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:39 PM »
I have caught splake from 20 - 60 feet of water. They are a cross between lakers and brookies. Set some tip- ups just off the bottom, some about half way up and some just under the ice. I have had luck jigging them up with small swedish pimples tipped with piece of minnow and with hali-jig tipped with spikes. Good luck. bring snow shoes.  ;)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Harper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Caroga lake
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2015, 09:38 AM »
If you are just looking to catch fish east Caroga is a much better choice. You can catch perch and pickerel. I also think there are some crappie in there. The splake fishing on west Caroga is very slow and you will be in for a long day of catching few fish. Access to east Caroga is through the state campground off of rt.29A.  Good luck!
Harper's Tip-Up Inn

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.