The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: I'd Call This the Catch of a Lifetime  (Read 3919 times)

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'd Call This the Catch of a Lifetime
« on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:06 PM »
Saw this article online from the Pittsburg area.  This would make my ice fishing year!

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/02/13/musky-monday-ice-fishing-duo-reels-in-huge-musky/

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I'd Call This the Catch of a Lifetime
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:13 PM »
 :clap: Catch of a lifetime. Catch and release so maybe someone else can have that also.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Woooooooowwwww

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:24 PM »
I would be scared to pull that monster in.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Yikes that thing is huge.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:46 PM »
Hope it doesn't become turtle food. It looks like they had it out of the water for quite a while for pictures.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2015, 08:08 AM »
Huge fish
I saw this posted on one of the main boards on the site.
It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2015, 09:30 AM »
on a 3" shiner, you never know

Offline elevatorman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Cynical people make bad friends.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Yea I saw this awesome  fish !!!
A Country boy can Survive.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2015, 11:25 PM »
Good fish, but I hate when the angler purposely holds the fish at arm's length to make it look bigger than it really is.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2015, 10:19 AM »
DEFINITELY NOT fitting through a 6" hole.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Good fish, but I hate when the angler purposely holds the fish at arm's length to make it look bigger than it really is.

Ditto. We all know the reason why that's done so it loses credibility.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2015, 12:19 PM »
The Haters  are hateing!!! As far as holding  the fish like that  i see people  on this site  everyday  doing the same????give me break  get a life  ???

Hater? Not hardly. Just pointing out some observations.

Kudos to the angler!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Hater? Not hardly. Just pointing out some observations.

Kudos to the angler!

Exactly my point!

Great catch!

(All fishing sites have anglers holding their fish this way, so it's not uncommon.)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:18 AM »
Hope it doesn't become turtle food. It looks like they had it out of the water for quite a while for pictures.

You were not and therefore do not know, article said 90 seconds which is a quick release any day.  I thik a PETA member got lost again....

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:26 AM »
that's why taking a picture by yourself makes it much more difficult for the arm stretch photos.

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:22 PM »
That is incredible and motivating. I was planning on taking the weekend off but all fired up though no Musky where I go. I had a friend send me a pic from one of his friends out in central CT this past weekend with 9 lb bucket mouth. Damn nice fish too.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM »
that's why taking a picture by yourself makes it much more difficult for the arm stretch photos.

delete 

Offline Pantucci

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:54 AM »

LOL, When taking photos, I always instruct the folks I'm fishing with to hold the fish straight out at arms length, look at the camera (not the fish), and smiles, makes for a great pic!
However, we don't really get big ones that much, so we need all the help we can get!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:59 AM »
You were not and therefore do not know, article said 90 seconds which is a quick release any day.  I thik a PETA member got lost again....

I think as a taxidermist I'm about as far away from being a PETA member as I can get.

That said I also raise gamefish for a living and wouldn't even think of keeping them out of the water for a minute and a half. It may not have killed the fish, but it would have been extremely stressful for a fish that had experienced a marked increase in lactic acid in it's muscle tissue cortisol levels in it's blood stream from fighting the hook. Actually there's a lot more that goes on with fish but it's very technical and I won't bore you with it.

Another factor is this species' immune system is not working in below optimum temps and handling it increases the risk of a fungal infection. When I produced largemouth and smallmouth bass I would not handle them in under 50 F. water and most fish culturists will not either. Same goes for other fish like musky in the same temp ranges.

And once a gain kudos to the angler. But I'm just stating observations. As anglers we can be our own worst enemies.

Can you hold your breath for a minute and a half after running a road race?  ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:51 AM »
I agree to disagree.  The stress that fish faced just in being caught makes your comments contradictory.  If we all cared so much about fish health we wouldn't poke holes in them and bring them through the ice at all.  Or ever for that matter.  You can do your best but you can't have it both ways.

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:06 PM »
I would never keep the pike I catch out of the water for 90 seconds!!! Couple quick pics, then release

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:29 PM »
I would never keep the pike I catch out of the water for 90 seconds!!! Couple quick pics, then release

Good for you!  Sometimes it doesn't go as planned and if you pike fish enough you'd know that they sometimes have a habit of getting hooked badly.  Some things are out of your control, but of course you'd have to catch a bunch to know that.... ::)

Poor guy who caught the musky can't win here.  If he killed the fish for the wall he'd get it.  If he handles the fish for what some guys consider too long he gets it.  People wonder why guys stop posting....

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:39 PM »
Good for you!  Sometimes it doesn't go as planned and if you pike fish enough you'd know that they sometimes have a habit of getting hooked badly.  Some things are out of your control, but of course you'd have to catch a bunch to know that.... ::)

I have so much to learn, please teach me!

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Couple observations...It's a huge fish and no picture is going to make it look much smaller anyway.  Hold your fish how you want.  Don't really care if he releases it or keeps it.  If someone is fishing within the regs, none of us should give a damn either.  Congrats to the fisherman...heck of a fish.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:03 AM »
Poor guy who caught the musky can't win here.  If he killed the fish for the wall he'd get it.  If he handles the fish for what some guys consider too long he gets it.  People wonder why guys stop posting....

X2

Kudos to him for catching it, releasing it, and posting it.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:44 AM »
I agree to disagree.  The stress that fish faced just in being caught makes your comments contradictory.  If we all cared so much about fish health we wouldn't poke holes in them and bring them through the ice at all.  Or ever for that matter.  You can do your best but you can't have it both ways.

I actually agree with you for the most part. Since we can't and don't want to stop fishing it is what it is. I'm just saying a minute and a half is too long to keep a fish out of water.

Cheers!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:45 AM »

Naah as  taxidermist I wouldn't have a problem if he kept the fish for the wall.  ;D

Offline protivakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2015, 01:46 PM »
Came in here expected another lame post about getting married and referring to the wife as the "catch". Happy it was actually fish related.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.