Author Topic: Birch Point  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Gatorhook

• IceShanty Rookie
Birch Point
« on: Feb 13, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Anyone been out to the sand bar lately? If so how's the access after the snow, I was hoping to head out this weekend with only the truck.
any info would be great

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Birch Point
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2015, 04:15 PM »
Will be heading out that way  as well .....-41 windchill ??? .....but was talking with a guy who said someone he knew had been out there yesterday and was also going today so I assume access is still okay , said the trail is further west now , but with any drifting that trail changes as the wind blows . Hope that helps a bit ? We were there last Saturday and the fishing was okay , snow was manageable as was the driving , a bit bumpy because the mild weather has made any drifts hard as rock , so a bit bumpy
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2015, 09:32 AM »
We made it out and the trail was what we made yesterday , just need a good 4x4 and keep your eyes open for the larger drifts , a bit of bronco busting getting to the shanty town , but once there we actually did well . The bite is slower at times , four to six inch's off the bottom seemed to be thee ticket ? Had my under water camera along and it was interesting to watch the pickerel coming in and taking the live minnow bait . There were only five of us out there as in trucks yesterday which was surprising ? but we left just before dark and the trail was still there so no drifting yesterday , today ?  :tipup:

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2015, 06:23 PM »
We were out Friday and Saturday as well with only 2 walleye (small) to show for it. The fish were close to the bottom and did not want to cooperate with me in any way. Buddies had 3 pike from 26 to 37 inches. Very slow. We usually catch a few more on our spots.
Slip that little un between a hot dog bun!

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2015, 07:49 PM »
They were hugging the bottom ( had my camera along ) ,, we had constant hits , lost the biggest walleye to date at the bottom of the hole ! light bitters though , we will be using different hooks and presentations next time , they are there ......just need to motivate them to bite

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2015, 09:48 PM »
True enough, they were there. Only seen small ones on the flasher though, and they only stuck around if my bait was around 3 inches off the ground, but would not bite. I had no shack though, and it was way to cold to constantly change lures and baits outside, so I did not try changing up my presentation which probably would have ended up in a few more fish. Good weekend out though, enjoyed it to the end.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Okay , I believe we saw you then , an yep ! to dang cold to be sitting outside . Most of the hits were dead sticking and when we would lift the lure usually on the third lift you felt the weight ............even saw it happen on the camera . But on that lake you need a shelter regardless , when the wind blows ?

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Sooner or later I will have to pick up a shelter. This weekend it was my brothers big ole Chevy lol. I made it all day Friday and till about 2 pm sat when I finally gave up jigging and sat in the truck.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2015, 03:13 PM »
Sale at Cabelas right now ?? 6x6 which works fine for two guys , or get the big octagon one for Dbl  the price ? I will be buying or making a 8x8 that will be in two pieces and just slid together on site .............still like the plywood floor to stay off the ice , plus it stays warmer then the pop ups

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Plywood would be good, but I don't get to go out a lot, I will probably go with a pop up. I will wait and see if I can find a good deal in spring or something. I hope to get out to birch in March and take my boy out for the first time.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2015, 10:45 PM »
March can be hot ! and the weather is more kid friendly

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:18 AM »
Anyone been out since last weekend ? Curious as to trail conditions etc , thinking of heading out Saturday .................

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Saturday was great , steady bite , a lot of 12 inchers , warm shelter , trail was very manageable ........landing getting a bit of blockage , but until someone wrecks it , easily managed . Fish were low again , glow and rattlers worked well , not that many guys out (  cold weather I think and no shacks ) Tried my new double ( two 4x8 ) shack , worked great , 8x8 is so much better , three people were very comfortable and extremely warm :) .Not bad for $120 in materials ........and a wood floor to keep the chill away . Ice is getting deep though , heading toward the 4 foot mark , so extensions will be in order so if it continues , and very hard ice ( black ) , we were about 6 inch's from the handle when we went through , and that was on clear ice ( no snow ) , just saying .........be prepared

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:41 PM »
We were out today ( Saturday ) and it looked like a great day , within a half a hour we had three  nice perch ( one was 13 inch's ) and a nice walleye on ice .......then it just slowed down ? Did get bites through out the day , mostly 10-12 inch walleye , the perch action stopped after the three perch Ended up with the three perch and five walleye eaters , Ice is deep ! even with the extension it was close to bottoming out .Trail is still easily managed , a bit bumpy but overall easily accessed . The day ended a bit early as it started to snow and visibility was a bit limited . 

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Forgot to mention ...............extensi ons will be required ...........at least where we were I went past my original shaft and into the extension part , deep and hard ice ! Sharp blades are a requirement , if it takes two to drill a hole , your blades are in need of a replacement or sharpening ........see it far to often !

Offline 793bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grow stupid grow
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:23 PM »
I was there Friday ,Saturday and Sunday .lots of 10 to 12 inch fish.we caught 9 perch on Sunday with 7 keeper walleye.the road was blowing Sunday afternoon .fishing in 19 feet of water.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:10 AM »
On Saturday we caught numerous "cigars" , which although it get's a bit old it does say that the fishery is alive and doing well . Where did u fish ? in the village or away from it ? Not asking for your spot , been going there for years and know the area well  ;D

Offline 793bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grow stupid grow
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2015, 12:18 PM »
I've been fishing away from that whole pack.people see shacks and automatically head there.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:39 PM »
I hear ya , seems no one wants to ""look "" for that sweet spot anymore ....the village used to wide spread , not it's a cluster ? But good for u for catching perch , we have only caught them on one occasion , just walters other wise ?

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:35 AM »
Saturday is looking like a great day again , temp's are going up ! will be heading out again , the last time we caught a few female walleyes  , so the big ones will be coming in ......anyone know how Buffalo's been doing ?

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2015, 10:19 PM »
Great day out today , weather cooperated , fish not so much ! We all lost something big , mine tore of my hook , my son's almost yanked the rod into the hole ......right out of his hand ! My nephew lost a big pickerel just at the bottom of the hole . Ice well into the four foot range , we actually drilled into the sides of our main holes to allow for the handle to go into the ice to get through , extensions are a must ! Trail still doable , entry at the dock a bit congested with snow , but taken with a bit of speed you can blow past it and then the rest of the trail is again not to bad , bumpy , but with all the  mild and then cold weather a lot of drifts are so hard that you drive right over them , the rest are fairly soft and normally when we get there someone has already busted a trail . Seemed a slow day for most , we caught 9 eaters , a few small ones went back ...................... didn't get skunked !

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Heading out tomorrow so I have been checking and this what the word is ........4x4 and quad access only at Birch , still snow drifts , but with the warm weather I'll assume it's more like slush , there is a foot or more of water at the landing so NO mini vans and apparently SUV's are also not recommended to try getting through it . Buffalo is good to go ,again a 4x4 is recommended as well .At Birch if you have been there , go around the first pressure ridge that is just past the landing , unless you feel very brave and have a good mechanic .....tows are expensive .....Everyone is seemingly running low on live bait so phone or buy before you go .Bite is on one day , slow the next so we're hoping for a good day ......no shacks ....

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2015, 07:53 PM »
Good luck and be safe! My tires are junk on my 4x4 don't think I will drive 2.5 hours just to shovel all day lol.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2015, 08:20 PM »
? Why would I shovel ? there are some snow banks here and there , been busting through all winter , a bit of slush won't bog u down . just watch where u drive .....weight of truck will get you through it

Offline tailhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2015, 08:28 PM »
True I might get through even with my slicks. My sister just called, they will be coming through tommorow from sask. Think I will stick around here and catch up a bit. Looks like it may be a good day for getting the kids quad and my boat ready to. Definitely not ready for the summer heat yet!

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2015, 10:40 PM »
Had the slowest day yet this year ,actually had no bites at all , were there from ten till three thirty when we had enough (son did catch one perch ....only bite ) and went to Moose Lake . Getting on is over the bank , landing is one big pool ! One guy had managed to get through it , but nothing I would attempt .Once over the embankment you just need to find a safe crossing over the first small pressure ridge and after that it's fairly easy sailing , some snow left and a few larger snow banks , and slush about three inch's deep at places , all manageable as we saw a few two wheel drive trucks out .Everyone was all over the place , sand bar ,poplar point , reed river ,even on the east side of the eastern pressure ridge , some I'm guessing were going as far as buffalo . From what the owner at Moose Lake said , the bite apparently starts at 6-6:30 ? that's what he has been told ? but I can't verify that .....seems the bite is always hot the day before or after we have been there .........typical ! Ice is still solid as it should be , even Moose had about 42 inch's . In another week I suspect the ice will have lifted and there will just be ice and no snow unless weather conditions change ,...................

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Went to Buffalo today ......can't get enough abuse ! , getting on was okay , pretty rutted at places and a LOT of water , but with a bit of foresight I got on okay ......don't drive in rut's ......and only went on about a mile and some , 12 feet of water so not bad . Only got there at about 3 ...long story , no time ......and found that holes from previous fishers were open ? some were taking in torrents of water and at the end of the day it seemed that some of the top water had disappeared , but it will be a few days more before the ice lifts . Managed two jumbo's and one walleye , waited for the magic hour , but after 6:30 it wasn't happening where I was , and being alone I figured it better to leave then wait for the onslaught of guys who had driven on after I got there . Was at Birch , but couldn't see anyone anywhere and being alone I went to Buffalo instead . Apparently the landing at birch looks worse then it is as far as depth of water , was suggested that it was the safer way to get on instead of crossing the ridge by Moose lake owner .......so ? Will most likely try one more time as the ice is solid and I'll just go with a few more next time .....safety  in numbers ........eh ?

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:53 PM »
There's been over 2000 views so I am assuming that there are fellow fishermen who are going to both Birch as well as Buffalo , curious as to how the bite is , not asking for a specific location , rather some insight as I have so far spent my time at the sand bar and I know that there are other areas that have activity , post .....PM me , 

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2015, 10:16 PM »
We're going on Friday.  To the Reed.  Last reliable ice condition I got was 36" solid ice with 4-5" honeycomb on top, that was Sun afternoon. Driving on from Buffalo Point & there until Sunday.
BTW,  did you know cars were driving on all winter due to plowed road?

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2015, 10:22 PM »
If you want, I can give up to the minute updates if I have service or in the evening when we get back to cabin.
we're hunting monster pike & last resort is the sandbar bit doubt that will happen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.