Author Topic: Bummed about brand new non-functioning Lowrance Elite 4 CHIRP Ice Machine  (Read 13311 times)

Offline mracko

• IceShanty Rookie
First, let me say thank you to this Forum and it's members.  I have spent many an hour scouring this site, over the past 2 weeks, in my pursuit of a fish finder.  It takes me a long time to ever make my mind up, so I was very happy when I decided on purchasing a Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp, along with the PPP-18l Ice Pack.  Figured I would bite the bullet and get a system for all seasons.  That is the good news.  The sad news is I received the items yesterday, put it together and....it does not work :'(.  I had dreams of a 4 day weekend of ice fishing and instead I will be on the phone with the company this morning.

I am wondering if any other Lowrance owners ever had trouble with their blue transducer adapter?  I tracked the power from the battery, on through this adapter and was able to deduce there is no power getting through the adapter.  The battery puts out 13.2 volts, the iceducer transfers the power just fine, but I get no conductivity through the adapter.

Another question I have for owners is whether the black plastic piece, on the back of the unit is suppose to move (slide-up)? This black peice is in the shape of an "I" and at the top of it is a symbol of a triangle with a line under it.  I take this to mean that it should slide up in order to clip onto the base mount.  It looks like it should, but mine doesn't and I have reefed on it to the point I thought I would break it.  As far as I can see my unit just slides onto the base and If you were to bounce it enough I could see it falling off.

This is my first Lowrance purchase and I am pretty disappointed.

Offline mracko

• IceShanty Rookie
Okay, I did find my answer to the base mount connection.  I found it in this video:
. Knowing that the back piece on the unit should slide up, I just kept applying pressure until something either broke or slide free. It did finally slide free, but man it should be that difficult.It probably would have been easier to wedge a screwdriver in there and leverage it free. It sure isn't smooth or quiet when it slides, but some silicone spray should take care of that.   

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Your post doesn't make much sense to me, no power should be going from the battery through the transducer to the unit. Unlike uniplug models, all blue plug Lowrances are powered from the other side which is the power/network plug. You need to use the power cable that came with the Chirp as the ice pack doesn't include one. I would disconnect the transducer and hook up the correct power plug to see if the unit turns on.

I'm more confused with your mounting problems, the elite's have an excellent system that works vey well -Using a screw driver to pry on plastic parts is always a recipe for disaster. You're only supposed to pull on the t bar when removing the head unit from the base.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline mracko

• IceShanty Rookie
Okay, call me an idiot!  Just got off the phone with Lowrance.  They said the iceducer should not be connected to the battery.  I am to disregard the connectors that are on it for the battery.  they were meant for older models.  I need to take the power cable (red) that came with my Elite 4, go out and purchase the proper battery connectors for it and hook that directly to the battery.  In the end I will just need to purchase another power cord to install on my boat.

Being all new to this fish finder/ice pack setup I assumed the pack came with all the necessary connectors.  In the back of my mind I kept thinking maybe there should be a connector to the red power connection of the unit.  When I saw the iceducer and its connections, I figured the power was being fed through it.  What is that saying about assuming things?....

So it came down to 1. user error, 2. poor instructions.  The "T" bar on the back of my unit, though, should never be that frozen.  I would think they would do quality control in the process and test all moving parts to make sure they move properly before shipping out.  I had 3 co-workers try to slide the T-bar, but they stopped for fear of snapping the plastic.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Offline mracko

• IceShanty Rookie
was just in a post about them being not so nice on ice. maybe yours not working is a good thing where as you can get your funds back?
good luck to you.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=311680.0
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=298846.msg3134096#msg3134096
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=303695.msg3197088#msg3197088

Don't tell me that! I may have already viewed those posts, but I will check them out.  I was a little torn between this unit and a Marcum LX3, but I went with the Lowrance for the features and being able to use it on the boat.  It does sound like they need a bit of tweaking, though, to get them to work corrrectly.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
Once you dial it in, you'll be very happy...  When I thought I lost my Elite 5, I got an Elite 5 CHIRP because I loved using my Lowrance on ice and open water. 

One mod I did on my Elite 5 is I put an interrupting switch between the unit and the battery and connected the charger to the line.  Over time, the power cables will become frail from constant unplugging at the terminals and you'll continue to drive yourself nuts when they break off--happened about once or twice a year.  Now, when I use the unit, the switch provides power to the unit in one position.  If I want to charge it, I flip the switch and plug charger in, disabling power to the unit and only sending power to the battery... no more taking the battery out.  Just a suggestion!

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
Once you dial it in, you'll be very happy...  When I thought I lost my Elite 5, I got an Elite 5 CHIRP because I loved using my Lowrance on ice and open water. 

One mod I did on my Elite 5 is I put an interrupting switch between the unit and the battery and connected the charger to the line.  Over time, the power cables will become frail from constant unplugging at the terminals and you'll continue to drive yourself nuts when they break off--happened about once or twice a year.  Now, when I use the unit, the switch provides power to the unit in one position.  If I want to charge it, I flip the switch and plug charger in, disabling power to the unit and only sending power to the battery... no more taking the battery out.  Just a suggestion!

Thats a good idea....I need to do that with my Elite 5 HD..Where and how do you hook in the charger to the system..??....I get puting the switch on the red PowerLine to but don't quite understand how you hook in the charger without splicing in some wires or something..thx

I didn't have any issues puting my Elite into my icepack...It was pretty much plug and play..Do the  chirp units use something other than the blue connectors???..
I run HB on my current boat but have always ran lowrance before that.....I really like the Elite 5 HD for ice fishing....once I got the settings the way I like them it has been trouble free..

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'll do a thread of the mod this week sometime, plus I don't want to hijack the thread... Pictures speak a thousand words!

Chirps use the blue connectors, but as you know with the hdi, there are other colored wires and what not for warmer water features... If a novice with these units, it may take some trial and error to figure them out...

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
Please post how it works out for you. It should work good. The lowrance units are great on the ice.
Fishin red lines

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just use the rear flap access on ppp-18i to charge battery;  leave battery sideways in tray.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
I wired in a separate plug connected to the battery and a mating plug to the charger cord and just plug the charger into that plug connected to the battery and charger it.  Makes it really easy.

Offline mracko

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishon35 I like your idea of splicing in a charge connection and look forward to your write-up on it.  Hamms, I have taken the unit out 2 times now on Lake Superior, fishing in 55 to 60 feet of water, and I am very happy with my purchase.  I have the unit set up based on suggestions from this forum and I have had no issues seeing my light jigs all the way to the bottom.  I really like the split screen sonar/amplitude view.  Caught a couple of Whitefish because of it.  I wish I would have bought one years ago!  I hope I have the same feelings once the newness wears off.

The only complaints I have from my experience is: poor directions in installing a boat unit into the Ice Pack, the flimsy velcro belt to hold the battery down and access to the battery terminals for charging.  Pretty minimal gripes for the technology that is at my fingertips now.  I am also glad I took the suggestion on this forum and paid a little more to get the GPS feature.

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here are a couple of pictures of my charger plug connection.  The connector is a computer disk drive extension power cable from radio shack.  I removed two of the four wires and cut the cable in half.  I put some connectors on the battery charger end so I didn't have cut off the alligator clips.  Really easy to charge.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
mracko
glad it worked out great for you. i have not used one and could only show what others had to say about it.
main thing is if it works for you and your happy.
good luck, be safe.

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
  This is what i did to my elite 5 chirp, i also shortened the power cord quite a bit. I installed a male plug on the charger also. I can use it on my sled also as it has the cigarette plug for power.

Offline mracko

• IceShanty Rookie
Douger and Rayclargo those give me ideas on what to do.  I have a bunch of computer stuff laying around, but none of those connectors.  I was thinking of splicing one of these connectors in:
One of the first things I did when I put the unit together was cut all the unnecessary Length of power cord out.  There isn't enough room for all those wires.  Another gripe I have with the design is that there is no dedicated space to put the transducer, like on a Marcum or Vexilar.  I have been just cramming it in the bag anyway it would fit.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  Another gripe I have with the design is that there is no dedicated space to put the transducer, like on a Marcum or Vexilar.  I have been just cramming it in the bag anyway it would fit.

I solved this problem by taking out the tackle trays and velcroing a empty laundry detergent cup onto the plastic. It works pretty good.

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good idea boder.  I like having the tackle trays although the top one can/will slide out if you tip the unit forward while moving to another hole.  I usually stow my transducer and float behind the unit on the battery; I might try Velcroing a laundry cup to the battery on the back side to keep the transducer from sliding around.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Why don't you just use the web pockets on both sides of the case to put your transducer in? That's what its there for.  ???

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I solved this problem by taking out the tackle trays and velcroing a empty laundry detergent cup onto the plastic. It works pretty good.

Quick & simple mod. Works great:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=272592.msg2807841#msg2807841
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline mracko

• IceShanty Rookie
Chumster, I had thought about putting it in one of the side pockets, but I would like to be able to zip-up everything inside the case.  Boder, that is a good idea with the detergent cap.  I've also been thinking of trying to fabricate a swing-out arm, with a  rubber stopper,similar to what the Marcum's have and eliminate the pipe insulation.

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why don't you just use the web pockets on both sides of the case to put your transducer in? That's what its there for.  ???

Hummm, good thought, thanks chumster.  Funny, I do not use those pockets for anything and of the two zippered side pockets one contains my licenses in a zip lock bag and that's it.  If I was running and gunning that would probably be where I would plop the transducer between holes but my fishing style is fishing a general area with tip ups out, so I am usually tending tip ups more than jigging, and jigging with my Lowrance in the hot holes or in the tent if the weather is not cooperating, so I don't move the jigging operation much.  Stowage inside the bag is for transport in my case.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Chumster, I had thought about putting it in one of the side pockets, but I would like to be able to zip-up everything inside the case.  Boder, that is a good idea with the detergent cap.  I've also been thinking of trying to fabricate a swing-out arm, with a  rubber stopper,similar to what the Marcum's have and eliminate the pipe insulation.
Not trying to be a know it all here, but if you use the cable holders located on the top sides of your base, you can just hang your ducer in the hole just below the bottom of the ice and it will be out of the way. Just run your cord thru like you would an anchor rope on a cleat.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
Finally got around to posting my mod of the battery toggle switch... Here's the thread http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=313122.0

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake
this is how i got rid of the float on my elite 5

Offline mracko

• IceShanty Rookie
Not trying to be a know it all here, but if you use the cable holders located on the top sides of your base, you can just hang your ducer in the hole just below the bottom of the ice and it will be out of the way. Just run your cord thru like you would an anchor rope on a cleat.

That is a thought.  I will give that a try next time I am out.

Offline mracko

• IceShanty Rookie
Maizen, that is exactly what I was thinking and you answered my question of where I would anchor it.  I was just about to price out one of those arms when I saw your post.

Offline mracko

• IceShanty Rookie
Okay, here is what I came up with:

I have been out 2 times now with the modification and it is working out like I wanted it to.

Oh yeah, here are the results from today:

Needless to say I am now loving my Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp. 

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
So I think I'm in the same boat. Really confused about the install. I bought the lowrance elite 4 chirp and the ice pack (ppp-18i ice pack). Thought it would be plug and play but I can't get it I power on. Am I needing to buy an additional cable?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.