The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Menomin?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
Menomin?
« on: Feb 12, 2015, 04:49 AM »
I have the opportunity to move over to Menomonie next year.  The better half of the unit is applying to schools and Stout is in her top three.  Kind've a blow to me as I'm a Pioneer, but I'll let that slide ;) .

Anyways, just looking for anyone who is familiar with the area and what species and averages sizes are in the lake and if there is good ice fishing (other than the flowages) I'm more of a lake guy.  Also if anyone has experience with the town itself that would be helpful.  I've been there but it was as a traveling team for football and track and field, so living and fishing didn't really enter the equation.

Even though I am asking for myself, one of her major considerations for the move is the availability of good fishing water.  Tight lines and heavy nets!

Offline cehlert

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Menomin?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:34 AM »
I'm a fellow Pioneer, married to a Stout grad, and now living in Menomonie.

Lake Menomin receives a lot of ice fishing pressure, but can be really good at times for bluegills, crappie, and perch.  Northerns, walleye, and bass are all present, but the panfish are the target for most.  Lake Tainter is more of a perch/walleye lake.  Many opportunities for lakes within an hour or so to the north, and an hour to the south puts on you on the Mississippi.  Menomin and Tainter both get an awful algae bloom from say mid-July until October.

I'm sure I can answer any specific questions you have.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2015, 11:14 AM »
I am from Menomonie and do what I can to not fish it. But as it is close it usually happens I fish it a couple times a year. It is a lake that you need to be willing to search for the fish. This year there are a lot more shacks than I have seen in the past and usually they are on top of each other. Like I say I stay away from the shanty city. Everyone is usually after the pannies/perch and the ones that fish at night are usually out before dark setting up to be ready for the walleye bite. There are some nice walleye and northern and the gills can be bigger than your hand if you can find them or early ice always seems to be decent. The lake has plenty of cribs. I have heard that there is a site that you can get the coordinates from to locate them but have not taken the time to look. I really should I guess.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Thanks folks! I kind've expected it to get hit pretty hard because of the school and city but it's good to know that at least it still produces some good fish.  It would be nice to be by any type of fishing lake again.  Closest lake to us right now is over an hour drive and the only river never freezes, even though it's hells canyon, you can only fish salmon and smallmouth so much before you can't take it anymore lol.

As it gets closer I'm sure I'll think of more specific questions but for now you guys hit it right on the head!

cehlert, looks like we have a lot in common lol. Thanks for the heads up on the algae bloom, is it a health hazard? I'll try to look it up.

pike4some, could it be because of the national qualifier there on the 8th of March? Maybe a bunch of regional guys decided to fish it harder this year? Unless the qualifier is held there every year, it didn't see it on the website.

Thanks for the info!  It would be nice to move somewhere with some more ice fishing opportunities.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2015, 02:49 PM »
The Mountain Dew Algae in the lake in the summer has made people get sick who live near by I think but can't quote on it but hear it just stinks. Seems to show up on the local news every year. I think there has been some grant towards working on the problem but still seems a ways away. Stout may have something to do with trying to help it out. I have heard that it is from the farms up stream running into the Menomin that causes it.

The qualifying has been here the past few years now I believe. I really don't think that is why there are so many shacks as they are usually moving a lot looking for the fish and learning the lake more. Also with the qualifying I am thinking they can't use shacks.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:57 PM »
Well it looks like we'll be moving over there this summer.  It'll be nice to get back to Wisconsin, you guys won't believe what I have to do out here to get a decent block of cheese.

Looking for a place to rent in Menomonie but I'll settle for anything within 20 miles or so.  I'm sure I'll be boat fishing it a lot and Tainter and some of the smaller lakes around.  It'll be nice to have fishing options.  Hopefully I'll see you guys out there.  The way your weather has been this year there may still be ice in May lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.