Author Topic: Monster Pike!  (Read 6625 times)

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Monster Pike!
« on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:10 PM »
 Although I havent caught any true monsters this winter (biggest this year is 21lbs), I was wondering where you guys are fishing for trophy pike in Alberta.  Im talking over 40" and 20lbs+. 

My favourite haunts are Wabamun and Fickle Lake.  Jarvis Lake occasionally offers up some big fish as well.  The rest of my big pike usually come from the Yukon...
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Monster Pike!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2015, 04:57 PM »
If I cannot get a response on ice conditions at Pine Coulee how in the heck do you ever think you are gonna get someone to claim their go to lake for big pike.

But just to show I am into it I will claim as usual the other side of the bank by the old grey barn on lake X ;D

SHOTGUN

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:21 PM »
I hear ya Shotgun. It ain't like we don't know WHERE the fish are, I was just curious which lakes people were choosing to fish on for them. Ha. Had some friends on PCR, said 18", but I can't remember if that was for PCR itself or one of the other lakes they hit... Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Offline coolhandluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • all position crack filler
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:58 AM »
Lol shotgun is right.. except I don't have a lake x.. wish I did.. my biggest pike through the ice is 30".. biggest pike I've ever caught was only 10lbs out of big sandy lake in northern Saskatchewan..
Mom always  said, go out side.. I guess it stuck..

Offline cube3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Although I havent caught any true monsters this winter (biggest this year is 21lbs), I was wondering where you guys are fishing for trophy pike in Alberta.  Im talking over 40" and 20lbs+. 

My favourite haunts are Wabamun and Fickle Lake.  Jarvis Lake occasionally offers up some big fish as well.  The rest of my big pike usually come from the Yukon...

I have gone to Fickle but never caught anything worth talking about. Have you caught some large pike there in the last couple of years?

I tend to hunt big pike around Lac Labiche, Cold Lake, and have gone to Tobin a few times now.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:42 PM »
I have caught some extremely large pike in Fickle. Four of my top five pike (weight), have been from Fickle, the biggest was from Wabamun.  I have definitely noticed that the big fish in Wab are becoming more and more scarce though.  Within 5-10 years I imagine we will see some new records being set from there though...

Offline cube3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2015, 11:30 AM »
I have caught some extremely large pike in Fickle. Four of my top five pike (weight), have been from Fickle, the biggest was from Wabamun.  I have definitely noticed that the big fish in Wab are becoming more and more scarce though.  Within 5-10 years I imagine we will see some new records being set from there though...

Sadly I don't think we are going to see a recovery of the pike population at Wab. The decline in the pike population in Wab correlates perfectly with the stocking of Walleye in it. If you look at the fall walleye index netting reports, as walleye numbers go up pike numbers and size go down so sadly I don't have a lot of confidence it the recovery for pike there. I do understand that correlation does not necessarily mean causality but causality certainly correlates perfectly as well.

Thanks for the info on Fickle. I will have to give it a try again. I was thinking the relatively small size and numbers I was getting there might also have to do with the plethora of walleye that I found there. We were even catching the walleye in 2 feet of water during the day while I was there. The other thing we found there were MOSQUITOES and some very friendly people.

Have a great season

Offline Penner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:11 AM »
Sadly I don't think we are going to see a recovery of the pike population at Wab. The decline in the pike population in Wab correlates perfectly with the stocking of Walleye in it. If you look at the fall walleye index netting reports, as walleye numbers go up pike numbers and size go down so sadly I don't have a lot of confidence it the recovery for pike there. I do understand that correlation does not necessarily mean causality but causality certainly correlates perfectly as well.

Seriously? Although the lake is catch & release, how much more angling pressure has this lake seen in the last 5 years especially those targeting those big hens and how many of those big hens didn't make it much longer after the catching & release? There will be incidental C&R kill plus a small amount of poaching. SRD didn't go far enough, should have implemented a bait ban as well. The Walleye have nothing to do with it.

Offline cube3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2015, 10:10 AM »
Seriously? Although the lake is catch & release, how much more angling pressure has this lake seen in the last 5 years especially those targeting those big hens and how many of those big hens didn't make it much longer after the catching & release? There will be incidental C&R kill plus a small amount of poaching. SRD didn't go far enough, should have implemented a bait ban as well. The Walleye have nothing to do with it.

Seriously?  Certainly had SRD just left this very special fishery at Wab alone we would have an answer whether  it was fishing pressure causing this problem or not. Given how special the fishery at Wab was I feel that SRD should have exempted it from their great walleye experiment. This certainly would have allowed special regs to be brought in more easily to address this drop in pike quality and possible quantity if due to fishing pressure.

Seriously?  Over 11.7 million walleye have been stocked into Wab in the last 5 years. Given that pike and walleye use the same forage I do think this will have a significant effect.  Let’s look at two other similar sizes lakes in the area that have under gone SRD’s walleye experiment. BOTH Pigeon and Lac St. Anne have as of now collapsed pike populations. (Perch populations in those lakes have collapsed as well). So yes “Seriously I do think that it is very likely that the walleye have something to do with it”

Seriously I do find it sad that SRD felt that they should change what was a very special fishery.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:57 PM »
5 yrs ago the smallest pike was 5lbs now thats the biggest !!!
Weird how as soon as they stock walleye the size/numbers declined 5 yrs steady. The pike are starving!!
They need to stock just as many perch as walleye or more!!
 The larger pike should be able to eat the walleye though, didnt they say the pike wouldn't repopulate after the spill because they would be sterile ???

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2015, 10:45 PM »
5 yrs ago the smallest pike was 5lbs now thats the biggest !!!
Weird how as soon as they stock walleye the size/numbers declined 5 yrs steady. The pike are starving!!
They need to stock just as many perch as walleye or more!!
 The larger pike should be able to eat the walleye though, didnt they say the pike wouldn't repopulate after the spill because they would be sterile ???

Says who?  Because you can't catch one over 5 lbs....
I have a co-worker who fishes there exclusively and has not seen any decline ...doesn't ice fish it but his open water tally was 10 over 40 inches, 30 some between 30-40 inches.   Sounds like the just up and and evaporated...lol!  ::)

Anyways, I do agree that we do not need another over populated lake with walleye close to Edmonton.  Perhaps they feel the masses believe otherwise.  I know on the recent F&W survey this year I put in the other comments to leave Wab as is without further walleye stocking...

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:33 AM »
10 over 40 and more than 30 between 30 and 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT :o

Must be one heck of a fisherman or he has been maybe strrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeee eeeeeeeeeeaaaaching the length a bit.  Fisherman tend to do that for some reason ;D

SHOTGUN

Offline Penner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Seriously?  Certainly had SRD just left this very special fishery at Wab alone we would have an answer whether  it was fishing pressure causing this problem or not. Given how special the fishery at Wab was I feel that SRD should have exempted it from their great walleye experiment. This certainly would have allowed special regs to be brought in more easily to address this drop in pike quality and possible quantity if due to fishing pressure.

Seriously?  Over 11.7 million walleye have been stocked into Wab in the last 5 years. Given that pike and walleye use the same forage I do think this will have a significant effect.  Let’s look at two other similar sizes lakes in the area that have under gone SRD’s walleye experiment. BOTH Pigeon and Lac St. Anne have as of now collapsed pike populations. (Perch populations in those lakes have collapsed as well). So yes “Seriously I do think that it is very likely that the walleye have something to do with it”

Seriously I do find it sad that SRD felt that they should change what was a very special fishery.

The Pike populations are collapsing for the exact same reason as to why the Walleye populations collapsed back in the 90’s….. anglers allowed to and are keeping their limits of Pike, Perch, Whitefish, etc. where the Walleye are strictly C&R. It has little to do with the stocking or reintroduction of Walleye. For your records Lac St. Anne hasn’t been stocked with Walleye from what I can ever recall. Lac La Biche has been stocked with Walleye for how many years now and there is no issue catching a Perch or Pike in that lake.

So instead of jumping on the same every other “Redneck Albertan Backseat Biologist” bandwagon why don’t you consider actual reality and lay blame on the actual cause of the problem which is You & I the everyday Albertan angler? Face fact. Once the Government is forced to step in a govern a problem, where all up sh!t creek without a paddle.

If you want to point the finger at SRD point at them for mismanaging perhaps and being obtuse to the fact that a “balanced” water body of predator and prey is the correct approach and if you decide to close the “keep” fishery down on a water body you need to shut it down for all species not just targeting only one. Playing Mother Nature isn’t easy obviously and hopefully SRD is learning from their oversight and are trying new things and I would suggest that draw system (love it or hate it) is proof of that.

Offline Penner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:58 PM »
10 over 40 and more than 30 between 30 and 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT :o

Must be one heck of a fisherman or he has been maybe strrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeee eeeeeeeeeeaaaaching the length a bit.  Fisherman tend to do that for some reason ;D

SHOTGUN

Not certain what isn't believable about that? I don't get out as nearly as often as I'd like but I caught a handful this past open water season in the 35"-40" the 3 or so times I was out on Wab? One day was quite spectacular for both quantity and size actually.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Says who?  Because you can't catch one over 5 lbs....
I have a co-worker who fishes there exclusively and has not seen any decline ...doesn't ice fish it but his open water tally was 10 over 40 inches, 30 some between 30-40 inches.   Sounds like the just up and and evaporated...lol!  ::)

Anyways, I do agree that we do not need another over populated lake with walleye close to Edmonton.  Perhaps they feel the masses believe otherwise.  I know on the recent F&W survey this year I put in the other comments to leave Wab as is without further walleye stocking...
I did the same thing SNAP!

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:11 AM »
So, I never fish Wab, and... I still have my small bottle of scotch that I have had for over 4 years waiting for that 20lb pike out of the ice so perhaps I should go to wab to get some of them 40's   ;) .... But guys.... honestly, Its very unlikely that you are all wrong or that only one person's opinion is the only correct answer.
 Every single thing done to any of our waters as a decision made by some guy sitting in an office with a potentially flawed thinking process can and will affect those same waters.
Any time you add thousands of fish into a lake and don't also put in the food that they will need, you are changing the dynamics of the lake. The population of the fish that are already resident will also change it's dynamics. You can't have one with out the other.
It is very possible that the mortality rate from catch and release increased , it's also possible that they are dying due to choking on the walleye,  and it's also possible that the big ones are the ones that have managed to survive over the years and even have survived the introduction of the 'over'? population of Walleye.  I mean, how instinctive is nature to stunt the growth of fish if the food reserves are not available?.. is that not also possible and not considered? Its not so much that the big ones are gone, its just that they are not replenishing ..( those 10 over 40 inches were the same 7 fsh hehe ) .. but regardless those secret holes that you guys have for catching them 40's.. I want the gps please.   :-)

What I don't understand is the constant desire to put walleye into lakes and then make the catch limit stupid and low. 

Anyone that has ever fished PCR knows you can take your 2 year old there, park them on the dock, put a smelt on the hook and get " my baby's first fish" picture handled within a couple minutes. 
My son and I have caught over 30 fish in 3 hours. If SRD is going to "over?"populate these lakes with Walleye.. then give us a reasonable damned bag limit. Help us allow the other species to also have a food chain
EVERYTHING we do to our waters has a re-action and consequence and who the hell do the bios think they are to be able to properly predict exactly what nature may do in re-action to it... lets just do like the states does... put in 10,000 fish expecting a 10,000 catch/mortality rate.
Commercial whitefish fishery has been removed from Alberta... But all those spawners that didn't just stop last year and the ones that are still in the lake that would have been taken this year...  they are going to feed on all the fry in the lake.. walleye, perch pike etc fry.... so.. should we not be given a higher bag limit to offset the lack of commercial fishing in those lakes?..
I know.. I am rambling now so I will stop... but I think everyone is right to some degree and there is no reason to start battling back and forth... ultimately, it's ALL OUR problem.. or solution... just hope the bio guys get it right.
my 28 cents worth.
(steps off his own soapbox)
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline Penner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Anyone that has ever fished PCR knows you can take your 2 year old there, park them on the dock, put a smelt on the hook and get " my baby's first fish" picture handled within a couple minutes. 
My son and I have caught over 30 fish in 3 hours. If SRD is going to "over?"populate these lakes with Walleye.. then give us a reasonable damned bag limit. Help us allow the other species to also have a food chain
EVERYTHING we do to our waters has a re-action and consequence and who the hell do the bios think they are to be able to properly predict exactly what nature may do in re-action to it... lets just do like the states does... put in 10,000 fish expecting a 10,000 catch/mortality rate.

Talk about narrow minded reactive thinking. What's a reasonable bag limit? You open up 1 or a handful of any central or southern water body for keep limits without a draws capping the take limits in Alberta and those water bodies will be fished out in a matter of weeks. Long Lake is a example of what will occur again if that happened.

I'll say it again. We can only lay blame on the actual cause of the problem which is You & I the everyday Albertan angler. Since we are not capable to govern ourselves (greed and such) the government has to do it for us with regulations.

If you want a put and take fishery for any game species in Alberta start lobbying you're government for the funds to support a "real" province wide stocking program for all species because simple math will easily demonstrate to you that the water bodies and fish populations therein cannot support a put and take fishery with the number of licensed anglers we have in Alberta.

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Talk about narrow minded reactive thinking. What's a reasonable bag limit? You open up 1 or a handful of any central or southern water body for keep limits without a draws capping the take limits in Alberta and those water bodies will be fished out in a matter of weeks. Long Lake is a example of what will occur again if that happened.

I always lose a certain amount of respect for people who start name calling and insulting others during a conversation. I guess if you believed I killed every fish I caught you might believe me to be narrow minded. Your whole point might have just as easily been made without the first sentence, and more likely to get me to focus on what you've said.. instead, I mostly just see the insult thrown.
 I used the word "over"populate in my statements purposefully, I even tried to make it obvious that it was used.... The overpopulating of a lake would create the need of a put and take fishery to keep the lake itself healthy..  I also said "reasonable" bag limit. Reasonable bag limit would indicate a reasonable bag limit to what ever the adjustments were... not sure why that is not understood. either way, right now, there are few lakes in Central Southern Alberta where you can keep walleye (as an example).... so... for those fisherman that want to keep walleye... they all do the travel to the place they can, which increases the pressure on the one or two lakes.
I actually don't target walleye that often, I target having fun.  and I keep one here and there to have a meal which is my right... I paid for that when I bought my WIN and my license and paid my 42% income tax to help fund the SRD's work. In the last 5 years (hard AND open water) seasons, I have kept 1 walleye, I have kept maybe 15 pike and a dozen or so lake whites, and prolly a couple dozen perch and less trout than pike in my multitude of trips out. I have definitely caught way more fish than I have ever kept , so I think I do a pretty danged fine job of self governing regardless what limits the government puts in place.
While I don't disagree with you that there are lots out there that cant self govern, and there are more anglers per fish in Alberta than in lots of other places,  and while" You and me" might be the cause of a problem, I also believe that the SRD's JOB is to monitor and act and re-act and re-monitor while still serving the public that pays their wages just like any supply and demand business. If that means raising the price of a fishing license, or the WIN card, then so be it... nothing should be off the table to grow and improve a business so that its customers are served and the resources sustained. Government is big business... and the SRD is just a division of that big business.  You don't have to agree with the way I see things, in fact, I prefer when people have the ability to state their opinions (without fear of being insulted and called down), it helps expand awareness... even if you believe I am narrow minded thinker.

Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:05 AM »
One walleye kept after all those years of fishing.

And I happened to witness and net the brute  caught at the ever present lake X lol

Narrow minded is a bold statement from someone who knows nothing about the poster and is also a newby to the forum.  Sometimes it pays to re=read a post before someone opens up ones keyboard mouth ;D

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Just trolling...   :whistle:

Offline coolhandluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • all position crack filler
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Looks like he got a bite swampy..
Mom always  said, go out side.. I guess it stuck..

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:16 PM »
Shackless, maybe get a shack.  You sound kinda angry and its cold out  ;)

P.S.  Penner is not new in any way shape or form.  I actually think he is quite old like well aged whine.   Much like me.  Just sayin...

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:48 AM »
Sometimes a guy doesn't even need to fish with someone to know that he'd never want to.

When we getting out again Shack?

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:15 AM »
Sometimes a guy doesn't even need to fish with someone to know that he'd never want to.

LOL, wow what a loss for the rest of us.  Go catch a large pike  :)

Offline Penner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:15 AM »
I always lose a certain amount of respect for people who start name calling and insulting others during a conversation. I guess if you believed I killed every fish I caught you might believe me to be narrow minded. Your whole point might have just as easily been made without the first sentence, and more likely to get me to focus on what you've said.. instead, I mostly just see the insult thrown.

Wow, a wee bit sensitive aren't we? Not certain to how by stating someones idea of allowing a reasonable bag limit "is narrow minded reactive thinking" could be taken as an insult? Not certain to where I called you a "name" either?

Your certainty entitled to your opinions. I'm also entitled to mine and if your going to post those opinions on a public message board be prepared to have them responded to. If you feel I insulted you, I'm so deeply sorry for that. Some free advice = perhaps you should grab yourself a few tissues before you login.

P.S.  Penner is not new in any way shape or form.  I actually think he is quite old like well aged whine.   Much like me.  Just sayin...

SNAP hows the Whitefish hunt'in going this year?

When we getting out again Shack?

Ryan I could not agree more. I can think of 2 guys off the top of my head at the moment.  ;D

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:27 AM »
If you feel I insulted you, I'm so deeply sorry for that. Some free advice = perhaps you should grab yourself a few tissues before you login.
here was the post I was working on prior to Penner's  slap in the face apology ..  are your apologies usually followed up with another slap?

Thanks for the support Shotgun and Ryan I do appreciate you both .. but honestly.. I would fish with Snap, and likely Penner too if he was there. after all... how would they get to know my character and me theirs without the more up close and personal experience. I don't mind a debate, I just don't care for insults and certainly would prefer people would not jab at each other especially on my behalf.

I try not to hang on to "crap" for too long.. I hear its bad for your health to do that.
:-)

Ryan, I can't say as when I will make it up that way again, I need to stick closer to home these days.

respectfully to all.
- (notso)Shackless who is not angry or cold  LOL

Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:56 AM »
SNAP hows the Whitefish hunt'in going this year?

Tough this year.  Last year it seemed effortless.  This year I'm getting schooled.  It's getting better at Pigeon though.  I've hooked and lost a few tanks and one of my buddies got a 5.3 oz white there.  How about you?

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:04 AM »
here was the post I was working on prior to Penner's  slap in the face apology ..  are your apologies usually followed up with another slap?

Thanks for the support Shotgun and Ryan I do appreciate you both .. but honestly.. I would fish with Snap, and likely Penner too if he was there. after all... how would they get to know my character and me theirs without the more up close and personal experience. I don't mind a debate, I just don't care for insults and certainly would prefer people would not jab at each other especially on my behalf.

I try not to hang on to "crap" for too long.. I hear its bad for your health to do that.

Ryan, I can't say as when I will make it up that way again, I need to stick closer to home these days.

respectfully to all.

Thanks, I never said I wouldn't either.  I guess Ryan can't take a joke.   

There is too much seriousness here.  You sure posted a long winded one earlier...problem is, I think we all agree about too many walleye lakes.  And, this is a fishing board where generally we are all doing and thinking similar things.  Write a letter to ASRD. 

Like I said, I wish they would just leave Wab alone and let it self manage.   They should call in an experiment in nature...it's very natural.  ;)

Penner is good dude and I'm sure you guys are as well.  He is also one heck of a fishermen.  I got a lot of respect for him.  He has taught me a thing or two and I will always appreciate that. 

Back to the original post, Sylvan is one great pike lake!  I'm sure most on here know that.  Challenging to beat 21 lbs but they are there...

Time to go fishing!  Those Gull whites are in trouble this time...

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:12 PM »

respectfully to all.

Some day this summer perhaps Shack. Get the 20' pontoon out with the BBQ and we can tell jokes and talk to each other with respect.

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Point proven.

Snap......has no real clue what my statement meant and straight to insults.

I meant that if I was Shack and he was insulted as he was by penners statement that I wouldn't fish with him.

I'm glad you don't see not Fishing with me  a loss. Cause you, I won't insult you or tell you to "catch a pike".

I'm not a child.

I'm off this thread, this is outstandingly ridiculous.

Sorry, I can't read your secret speak so it is easy to not understand how, what and whatever your beef is.  This is no big deal....how is go catch a pike a bad term, aren't you a fisherman?   And this is a thread about pike....seems appropriate   ???

Lighten up.  For someone who says you are not child like, I beg to differ.  I'll go catch a pike then  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.