The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy vs. Eskimo  (Read 3532 times)

Offline highviews

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy vs. Eskimo
« on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Looking to buy a new auger and would like to know you're opinions on this topic. I'm thinking 10" propane.... Any thoughts?
Larry

Offline shsalchemist

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy vs. Eskimo
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Just got the 8 in eskimo propane for this season!  I have used it for ~10 days of ice fishing.  Some of the days were below zero. had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS!  Cuts fast and starts easy!  I have an suv so no gas smell.  Can't say enough how pleased I am with is so far.  I tried the Jiffy 8in. and my is so much lighter and better built!   Hope this helps.

Offline oldschool8263

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:49 AM »
I have some friends that have the Jiffy and love them.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:54 AM »
Guy bought the Jiffy 8", last week came back in yesterday, wanting to know if we would exchange it.  Seems he dropped it on it carb, and broke it off.  Ask him if he got the "Summit Replacement Plan"?   No.....told him just like buying a car...and have no insurance....you wreck it.....What you think the outcome will be ?
Bud

Offline djs1968

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:17 AM »
just bought the eskimo 8" propane also,,LOVE IT,,lighter than the jiffy and doesn't soak your feet and legs like the jiffy,,it rotates slower with the 2 blades,,built awesome.ID GO WITH THE ESKIMO!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:42 AM »
and doesn't soak your feet and legs like the jiffy,,it rotates slower with the 2 blades

IMO, that's the equivalent of saying I prefer to ride a bike, because I always get speeding tickets when I drive a truck...

Do you know what a throttle is?

???

<*)))>{

Offline BBQMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin I Was Fishin
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:47 AM »
IMO, that's the equivalent of saying I prefer to ride a bike, because I always get speeding tickets when I drive a truck...

Do you know what a throttle is?

???

<*)))>{

LOL THATS FUNNY.
My Daddy always said keep it simple stupid. Words to live by

Offline djs1968

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:55 AM »
that's a fact jack!!then why would I need a bigger motor and more weight if I have too jack with the throttle??

Offline Spditzler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:01 AM »
I agree, I bought the Eskimo 8 in. and love it. Like they say no gas smell in your vehicle.

Offline themooser98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:48 AM »

I got a Eskimo Propane HC40 this year, have had no problems with it, starts 2nd pull, love it so far! The 10 inch auger does have some weight to it though.

Ya shoulda bin here yesterday!!!!!

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2015, 12:11 PM »
my god, give up the gas, get the ION electric man. Never go back, why gas. I sold all my gas augers after using my ION.

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Got a Jiffy Pro 4 Lite in 8". Love it!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:24 PM »
why would I need a bigger motor and more weight if I have too jack with the throttle??

Because cubic inches are like money, there is no such thing as enough....

Mine goes to eleven...

<*)))>{

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:30 PM »
I got the jiffy pro 4 lite! Auger is lite starts on first or second pull every time cuts through 2 feet of ice in a few seconds. I hate the plastic throttle.  I sprayed the throttle cable with wd 40. Have not had a problem this year with it freezing up. Bottle of propane last for about 150 holes. Great auger over all

Offline rufishn2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2015, 02:08 PM »
I bought a eskimo shark 71cc 10'' auger last season. Nothing but problems and when you take it apart every part is stamped with Chinese part numbers. Made in china, do not buy they are JUNK.
team "off all winter"

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:21 PM »
I bought a eskimo shark 71cc 10'' auger last season. Nothing but problems and when you take it apart every part is stamped with Chinese part numbers. Made in china, do not buy they are JUNK.
Are there any that aren't made in China???...
Next time I buy an auger I am going to confirm that there are experienced shops in the area that will do warranty work...I have had issues this week trying to find a place with Eskimo and I live close to major metro areas with thousands of ice fisherman in the area...Every place they gave me through service claimed they didn't work on augers when I called them...Eskimo warranty did end up setting me up with a repair shop close to my work so we will see how it goes when I take it in...
Bottom line call their recommended service centers before you purchase an auger..

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:46 PM »
x2! find a old tecumseh jiffy and keep it going. propane freezes up at - 10f if left in a bed of a unheated truck. even if you keep the tank inside at -20f you get 2 maybe 3 holes and it freezes up. buddy has the jiffy propane and is always trying to thaw the tank. if they come out w/ a 10in. ion that drills at least 30 holes a charge in 2ft. of ice , ill go that route but ill always have my ol' mod 30 jiffy as back up! ;D

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2015, 09:35 PM »
I have not had a problem at all with my jiffy pro 4 lite. When it's real cold u take hand warmer packets u get at Walmart an duck tape them to the 1 pound propane bottle no problem even at -20 like tomorrow morning

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2015, 11:58 AM »
Honestly I know a few guys that bought the propane augers 2 jiffy and 3 Eskimos none of them are as happy as they were with the old fashioned augers they had but if u don't have a truck or carry it in your suv then propane  probably isn't bad but don't like being -10 or below on the back of a truck
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.