The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: trash on ice  (Read 2520 times)

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
trash on ice
« on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:22 AM »
I'm sure everyone has seen other peoples trash on the ice. I just don't understand why. You know who you are just take a minute to clean up after yourselves. Your mom is not going out on the ice to do it! cigarette butts and empty worm containers.....GROSS! Lets keep the lakes clean or even do like me and pick up a little bit while your out. Just don't leave a mess on the ice. It's trashy!
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline rayrayshort

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: trash on ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:02 AM »
I agree people need to take there trash with them. I have come off the ice with trash and empty beer cans many times that were not mine

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2015, 01:08 PM »
I thought Gull lake trash was bad. I was fishing the Saginaw river yesterday  their was trash all over the ice. Come on people clean up after yourself.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:18 PM »
I was on gull today and crap all over. Cig butts, candy wrappers, bait containers etc... and the lovely sight of chew spit. Sooner or later the residents will complain to the marina and salon owners and threaten to take their business elsewhere if they conning to let the slobs park their. Those slobs more than likely can't figure out how to use a computer so asking them to pick up after themselves is a mute point. Can you imagine what their houses must look like? 

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:33 PM »
Uh one guy I know who was out there left some stains....... but it wasn't chew or whizz. And no it wasn't me......
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline dalhnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:22 PM »
I know when I fish the Maumee in Ohio in the spring, DNR will fine you if they see you drop a cig butt in the water. Wouldn't mind seeing some fines passed out... its not hard to take off the ice what you took out.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Trash hasn't that bad so far this year...  So far:  1 bait container with dead waxies, 1 container with live spikes, Styrofoam bait bucket that was frozen to the ice and got a hole kicked in it, broken ice scoop handle, 2 beer bottles, 1 can of empty chew, 2 frozen water bottles, and a box of tangled up suffix line that look at it was stripped off and stuck in the box.   

Offline mike 7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:59 AM »
I agree if you bring it out you can take it back. Found a broken chair
left on the ice. The snow was starting to cover it up. I would hate to
see someone trip over it out there. So we grabbed it and threw it away.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2015, 09:54 AM »
 2 years ago, guys took their perm. down, and I went over to where they were, Yikes. I picked up chip, pretzel wrappers, ( half full), beer cans , and a small bbq grill, a smoker, a floor jsack. and a propane tank. it took me 2 trips, walking pulling sled with their junk. That's 2 trips after I unloaded my stuff. I left the wood blocks that they had under sheds, but took all the rest, what a bunch of slobs. I really wished I would have noticed the name on the shed. The good news is, the grill went to the road, but the smoker, and floor jack work fine

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2015, 09:55 AM »
oh yeah this was Neppesing, in Lapeer , if it was you , thanks for the jack, and smoker , idiots

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2015, 09:58 AM »
candy wrappers/doritos bags and beer cans have been the main thing ive picked up this year.drunks need to pick up after themselves.i haven't had a drink in 7 years and it makes me mad that I have to throw those stinky beer cans in my sled.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:47 AM »
with beer cans, cigarette butts, fast food bags, chew cans, water bottles etc. all along the sides of every road and highway, it comes as no surprise that there is garbage on the ice too. Thats pure Michigan
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:33 PM »
I was on Neppessing today...Surprisingly it looked pretty clean in the area I was at....Had a little action this morning with some crazies drag racing their trucks across the ice at daybreak on a Monday morning...
Lake St Clair was a mess last time I was there....I'm going to have to start doing my part and bring some garbage bags with me so I can clean up trash on my way out....It's a shame it has to be that way but the few will ruin it for the many if we don't do something..

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Average picking up a grocery bag every trip. Want to get PO'd do some sight fishing or lower a camera down. In some places there's more stuff on the bottom than on the ice, disgusting

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:40 PM »
last yr on gun we spudded out 22 beer cans and bottles from holes they jammed them in while sitting in shanty along with food wrappers and Styrofoam cups.tried to get it all best we could.
ridiculous!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:53 PM »
I have heard about a guy that puts garbage cans , by lake access points w/ signs, asking fellow anglers to use them , on his favorite lake . So far this year, that guy has emptied around 200 lbs. of trash that would have been left on the ice. You might want to try this idea on your favorite lake, instead of whining about it on here, to others that feel the same way. BE PROACTIVE, spend some time off the web, & do something for the environment !  We will always have to deal w/ SLOBS >:(,  , ice just makes it more visible than softwater.  Modified;  If you pick trash up, off the ice on Gull, put it in the  garbage cans, I  will take care of it.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2015, 08:29 AM »
I live on a private lake and I see trash on the ice there also, just go figure!

Offline rtbluver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2015, 08:40 AM »
Last year I was on a local lake dong some fishing by myself, which almost never is the case.  I seen 2 2 liters sticking out of the snow and ice as we had just gotten fresh snow.  Some jackass had decided to mark his old spearing hole by throwing his trash on top of the water and hoping somebody wouldnt step in it.  Well, I bent down to pick it up and all of the sudden im in the water about up to my waist.  I caught myself and pulled myself out.  I was angry. Grabbed the two liters and turned my shivering but back around.  Great way to ruin a good day of fishing.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:29 AM »
I have heard about a guy that puts garbage cans , by lake access points w/ signs, asking fellow anglers to use them , on his favorite lake . So far this year, that guy has emptied around 200 lbs. of trash that would have been left on the ice. You might want to try this idea on your favorite lake, instead of whining about it on here, to others that feel the same way. BE PROACTIVE, spend some time off the web, & do something for the environment !  We will always have to deal w/ SLOBS >:(,  , ice just makes it more visible than softwater.  Modified;  If you pick trash up, off the ice on Gull, put it in the  garbage cans, I  will take care of it.
There are 100s of trash cans at Metro Beach on LSC.....The guys that use them are the good sportsman that take the time to police up after themselves....The slobs are still slobs and leave their stuff on the ice...
I do agree that we need to police ourselves because there aren't enough LEOS to handle everything..

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2015, 06:50 PM »
Never been LSC, but here is an idea move a few cans out to popular fishing areas, put signs on them, asking fishermen to use them, next, keep them emptied, & lastly, get them off the ice, before it gets bad. Just an idea, that may take some effort. there are los of slobs on the water, be it hardwater or soft, we all need to try & keep it clean. A few pieces of trash in a garbage can, is a few less pieces on the ice.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2015, 07:32 PM »
Below zero weather this weekend should keep the trash off the ice.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Free fishing weekend. May be more 'trash' show up than you think..

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:08 PM »
What kind of trash are we talking about? lol But yes the trash is BS !!
Below zero weather this weekend should keep the trash off the ice.
Charles E.

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:50 AM »
We have an older guy that cleans up the landing at the Saginaw river mouth religiously. There are many of us that throw him a walleye whenever we can. He lives half block down from launch and keeps a bucket outside his shed for us to throw them in. He also told me he makes about $300 every winter just picking up peoples empty beer cans at the parking area.

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Thats great that  you are spending your time and effort cleaning up after the slobs on gull lake. I for one don't feel it is my duty to have to clean up after them. I do pick up trash I find left behind on the ice. Not all of that trash collected in your containers would have been left on the ice. Some are using them instead of taking it home to their own. Thanks for the effort but the point is the slobs should be accountable for their own crap!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Just trying to do my part to keep access points open, the ice clean , &  hoping it might catch on at other lakes. Ice fishermen that leave trash on the ice , make it visible for everyone to see. On softwater the garbage, can sink. Just trying to do my part in keeping Gull Clean. Really getting tired of reading these garbage posts every year. We will always have slobs out there ,they do not read these posts, they are to busy thinking about themselves. Do something to try & help the problem instead of preaching to the choir.

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Went to Saginaw river and for how many people was out there, there was not much trash on the ice. 
Charles E.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:40 PM »
yesterday as my buddy and I unloaded our shanty a van whipped by, stopped right next to the river, unloaded w/ broken pieces of beer bottles flying out of their shanty. they took off for a nice 40 yard dash and called it quits and set up. when we left I walked over by where they fished, 20 beer bottles and broken glass dumped on the ice. I picked it all up and hope to see them drunk punks again! I know what the van looks like and they had a red esximo 2 man flip over. I drink a couple beers and smoke a cigar on the ice. I take a plastic bag and a almost empty water bottle for an ash tray. not to hard to ice fish and not leave a mess! man I wanna punch those losers who do this crap every trip and don't care. >:( >:(
I toad a soo!

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:09 PM »
Its never going to stop.  Better to just let it go.  Just sayin

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Yes It sucks that they wont clean up their mess or try not to make one, but you might say something and you never know what they might do. I don't want to see anyone get hurt over it but nice to see some people do still care!! 
Charles E.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.