The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New Jiffy Pro 4 leaking oil  (Read 2754 times)

Offline NitroChukar

• IceShanty Rookie
New Jiffy Pro 4 leaking oil
« on: Feb 07, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Purchased a Pro 4 propane auger new about a month ago. Lately its been leaking oil some where around the recoil handle side of the engine when storing the auger laying down. Last two days it had a small puddle of oil on the ground when I grabbed it to go fishing.  Called Jiffy and the gal in customer service wasn't very helpful and seemed like she wasn't even familiar with the auger. She said to check the external engine oil hoses for the source of the leak. Maybe I don't have a clue, but do other owner's engines have external oil hoses?  Anyone else having a problem with there auger leaking oil and what did you do to fix it? BTW I have been storing the auger spark plug up when laying it down.   

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Jiffy Pro 4 leaking oil
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2015, 11:27 AM »
The only time mine leaked oil was last year on a trip one of the guys (heavily intoxicated) moved my auger & laid it down the wrong way.  There was a small oil puddle under it in the morning.  I topped it off & drilled with no problems the rest of the trip.  There was a slight smell of oil for the first few holes, but that went away.   I always store mine tank up, or upright. 

Offline NitroChukar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Yes, I store it tank up, went out this afternoon and this is the 3 day in a row it has a puddle of oil on the ground. will try calling Jiffy again on Monday and see if I can't talk to someone more knowledgeable.  Just don't look forward to the long hold time to speak to someone in person. Over 30 minutes is a little long.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2015, 10:25 PM »
Nitrochuckar: There is an external breather hose and possible the oil could be leaking into it and dripping out?? I also have a Jiffy Pro-4 and have went thru two so far- The first one would take about 3-minutes to warm up before the shaft would start turning, Took it back to sportmans warehouse and they exchanged it for a brand new one. Have had good luck with mine ever since..

And yes I know what you are talking about when trying to get ahold of JIFFY.. Its a pain in the You Know Where. They need to do something about that.....
Marvin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.