Author Topic: Access on LW  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Walleye Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
Access on LW
« on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Just wondering if someone could tell me where people are accessing Lake Winnipeg right now to fish near the mouth of the red? I'll heading that direction March 18. I know things can change in 2 days but I'm more curious now than anything. It doesn't look like there's much if any snow on the ice so truck traffic is possible right now, if there's a way around heaves? I've only used the chalet beach access before.

Offline Leemb1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Access on LW
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:15 PM »
As of today there are 4-5 different ways to get to the mouth of the Red by truck.  Never know what will happen in a month

Offline Woodfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Anyone know condition of access point at Balsam Bay, and how it is to drive around on the lake?

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2015, 12:22 PM »
Anyone know condition of access point at Balsam Bay, and how it is to drive around on the lake?

Out here now, access is fine with factory 4x4's, with the exception of the guy that blocked the ramp this morning with his small suv with banana skin tires???? Only had to tour around a couple deeper smots otherwise driving is not a prob. We travelled approx 3 miles without an issue.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2015, 01:46 PM »
Out here now, access is fine with factory 4x4's, with the exception of the guy that blocked the ramp this morning with his small suv with banana skin tires???? Only had to tour around a couple deeper smots otherwise driving is not a prob. We travelled approx 3 miles without an issue.
Thxs FC 24-7 for the update. How was the fishing? Although I had 2 invites for today, I'm stuck at home  :(
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2015, 02:18 PM »
Thxs FC 24-7 for the update. How was the fishing? Although I had 2 invites for today, I'm stuck at home  :(

I heard the harbour has been plowed since I was out, fishing was decent, we were 8:30 till 3, picked up 13 total between 2 of us. 7 eaters, couple pigs and a couple dinks, perch and a burbot. The fish were not aggressive at all in the morning, they preferred the dead sticks. Afternoon they were starting to chase pretty good and were smoking the targets hard. Unfortunately I had to get my buddy home otherwise I think the evening would have turned out good.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2015, 02:29 PM »
I heard the harbour has been plowed since I was out, fishing was decent, we were 8:30 till 3, picked up 13 total between 2 of us. 7 eaters, couple pigs and a couple dinks, perch and a burbot. The fish were not aggressive at all in the morning, they preferred the dead sticks. Afternoon they were starting to chase pretty good and were smoking the targets hard. Unfortunately I had to get my buddy home otherwise I think the evening would have turned out good.
I haven't been to the east side yet this year. Perhaps I should make a point of getting my friend Firefighter out there to "rip some lips" as he always says.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.