Author Topic: Fresh Bluegill Fillets a la Grecian  (Read 5865 times)

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fresh Bluegill Fillets a la Grecian
« on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:10 PM »

Fresh Bluegill Fillets a la Grecian

I made these for my wife and I as part of our Super Bowl Feast.   

It's best if you have a food processor.

Start with two large eggs.

"Women fear me & fish love me...  er, I mean..."

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fresh Bluegill Fillets a la Grecian
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:13 PM »

Slowly add about a cup of oil.  If your food processor has a well with a little hole in the bottom of it, put the oil in there.   You are making an emulsification by mixing two ingredients that normally don't mix, so you have to do it slowly.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:15 PM »

Today, I used a combination of three oils- Grape Seed Oil and two kinds of Olive Oil.  You can use vegetable oil.  It's best to use quality oil for this recipe.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:17 PM »

After it thickens up, throw in a couple of anchovies, a handful of parmesan cheese, two or three cloves of garlic, some black pepper, a shot of Worcestershire sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Don't put any salt in!  Between the anchovies and the Parmesan, it will have enough saltiness!

Also, don't leave out the anchovies.  They are really important.  If you buy a little can of anchovies, they will last in your fridge for MONTHS, but even if you only use two fillets out of the can and throw the rest away, it's better than leaving them out of this recipe.   So, just get the dang anchovies!

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:18 PM »

What you have here in your food processor is essentially just Caesar Salad Dressing. 

Actually, it's more than that- it's really kick-ass Caesar Salad Dressing! 

You'll have enough left over for salads or more fillets, either way.  It has a pretty good shelf-life in the fridge, I would say a good 2-3 weeks.

It should be thick enough to coat a spoon, like a gravy, but even a little thickerer.  If it's not thick, slowly add more oil.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:20 PM »

Now, arrange your bluegill fillets in pairs on a buttered cookie sheet.  Tuck the belly meat side of the fillets under the loin side of the fillets on each side.    It makes a great presentation.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:24 PM »

Yes, that's nice...

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:31 PM »

I forgot to tell you- before you started all this you should have ground up a fresh hunk of crusty baguette in your food processor.  You want fresh breadcrumbs, not dried breadcrumbs.   

Put a spoonful of bread crumbs onto each pair of fillets.  Neatness counts!

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:32 PM »

Now, put about a heavy tablespoon of dressing on each pair of fillets.  Try to be neat about it.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:34 PM »

Sprinkle them with some paprika and then put a little lemon juice and white wine onto the cookie sheet to keep the fillets from drying out.  (Or just use some water.)  Then, get them into a 400 degree oven.  Let them cook about 6-8 minutes or until they start to bubble up a little bit, like so-

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:38 PM »

Now, blast them under your top-fired broiler for another 2-3 minutes to brown them up a bit then serve them on a hot plate.  Don't put these beauties on a cold plate, it's a crime

This is a great dish for wives and kids who are squeamish about eating your kill.   My wife devours my catch when I make dishes like this and my Seafood Stuffed Walleye Fillets.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=178808.0

We made quick work of these tasty Bluegills before we moved on to the 2nd course of our Super Bowl Feast- Bacon -Wrapped Venison Eye of the Round with Caramelized Onions.  Yum!

I found a scale that got by me in the cleaning process, but only one scale and no bones.  I am glad that I found it and not my wife.  I don't even mind.

This recipe works with any fish fillets.  I like to put larger fillets into casserole dishes.  Bake them and serve them right in the dishes.  The presentation is AWESOME.

Enjoy!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:44 PM »
That looks good .... really good  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:46 PM »
I bake them from time to time, and the broiler for the last couple minutes, sounds like a good trick to crisp them up!!!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2015, 02:02 PM »
It's all Greek to me . Are you available for catered parties. I thought I made a decent feasts yesterday stuffed deer loin with a Greek twist,with spinach and feta cheese and roasted root vegetables,potatoes,carrots,parsnips,onion,garlic,and sweet potatoes. Looks like a keeper recipe, I've got a fresh 2lb butter bowl full.of gill and crappie fillets ready for your recipe. Thanks looks great.

Offline PanFi$her

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Yum

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:25 PM »
I would love to try this. The BIG problem is the anchovies. I love them, but my wife won't go near them. Oh well, I do have peanut butter for her. Great looking food!.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2015, 11:47 AM »

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.   I do love to cook!

Captain54 - I am available for catered parties, but I am not cheap, nor inexpensive.

Doubles Shooter - Make the sauce when she's not looking!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Wow,I just made your recipe,it's better than the pics. Great moist delicious. I followed your recipe,except I omitted the Worcester sauce and added a tablespoon of capers. I just had the taste for them and it worked well with your recipe.Its a keeper for sure.I did the test run by myself,had the kitchen,everybody had plans tonight,the kids and wife missed a great meal.There's leftovers if they get home SOON. LOL

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:54 PM »

That sounds good, Captain! 

We just finished up all the blue gills I had filleted.  I will have to get out and get more soon.   In the meantime, we'll have some Caesar Salad with the leftover dressing we still have. 

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:35 AM »
Woodroce : That looks great!   I'll have to try this one -  the little women wont do the anchovy thing but I will .
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:53 AM »
Woodroce....

This looks like an awesome recipe, but there are a few questions I have...

Are you using an electric or gas oven?

If ELECTRIC, and AFTER the allotted bake time, do you leave them in the oven until the broiler element comes up to temp or do you pull them out and then put them back in for the allotted time under the broiler element?... I hate dried out fish that have been overcooked.

Sorry for being a dumb@ss but electric is what we have and I'd love to try this recipe. The sauce is definitely not a problem....Mrs. and I both like anchovies!

WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:02 AM »
For you folks who have people that balk at the anchovies, don't worry about it. The amount used mixed with the other ingredients renders them quite unanchovie like. Don't tell them and they'll never know they just ate an anchovie ;D

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:10 PM »

Wannaketchum, 

GREAT point!  If I was using an electric, I'd go all the way at 400-425...  Probably 12-14 minutes.  They'll get bubbly and brown.  They won't dry out.

Phoenix is absolutely right.  Don't tell 'em the anchovies are in there!  The combination of the anchovies with the cheese, lemon and garlic is amazing!  You can't tell there's anchovies in there.

Have a government-free day, my friends.

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:08 PM »
They look very tasty, thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll be trying it very soon.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:51 PM »
Thanks for the recipe and the fine directions....it looks great, I love gills..both catching and eating and enjoy trying different recipes.....will definitely try this one.
Thanks,
icejohn

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:51 AM »
This one melts in your mouth! Delicious!

Thanks.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:31 AM »

Thanks, RG!

My wife wants me to make another batch of the dressing so we can have more Caesar Salads.  It really is a top notch dressing.  It's so flavorful that you don't need a lot of it to make a salad taste great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.