Author Topic: Infinite Thread  (Read 134713 times)

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Infinite Thread
« Reply #2370 on: May 21, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Long weekend on tap, hope everyone has a good one  :thumbsup:

I plan on it. You too Lavman!

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2371 on: May 22, 2015, 08:12 PM »
Patience…
Good things come to those who wait, right. That is how the saying goes. I have access to a “honey hole” of a turkey spot. It holds birds like few spots I’ve ever been. It’s a small woodlot surrounded on three sides by farm fields. I can spend as much time there as I like. But, the first two weeks of the PA season are reserved for the property owners. So, I normally begin turkey season on my hometown territory in Warren County. Then, depending on where I’m seeing birds, I can hunt around my current home in Mercer County, or some of the local SGL’s. I have options; the birds just have to cooperate.

The 2015 season seemed to sneak up on me. My first scouting trip wasn’t until 4/12. I spent a lot of time watching a nice double bearded Tom that was hanging out just down the road. He’d fly down on my neighbors land, and make his way out to a different neighbor’s field. He was pretty timely. Poor old fella just became too predictable. On April 25th, I got up and headed out for a sit in a blind to try and take some pics. It wasn’t until I got to the blind that I realized it was a MY day. I’m on private ground, so I wasn’t too worried about running into a hunter. I hear gobbling as expected, and am ready for the show. Well, just before first light, I can see someone has a blind and dec’s set up out in the other neighbor’s field. I hear the hunter call, and the old Tom answers. This bird was fired up as he skates past me. He also drug a couple of jakes through the food plot. Just showing off I guess. Needless to say, I had a ringside seat to watch as a young hunter took the double bearded Tom.

The regular PA season rolled in on 5/2. I went to Warren County to hunt the big woods for the first day. I heard one gobble on the roost, but it was not to be. The first three days of the first week, I hunted around the house. Even though the double bearded bird was taken, I knew there were still a couple Tom’s around. Things were pretty quiet. I became a little frustrated. Our road is normally pretty quiet. Deer season and spring gobbler season seem to bring a bit more traffic to the neighborhood. This season was no exception. During the week, I bounced between my home turf, and a farm that borders the spot I call the “honey hole”. From this spot I heard birds every day. On the 11th, I called a Tom in from behind me. A hen and a couple of trees prevented me from ending my season. The rest of the week, I heard birds. I could get them to talk, I just couldn’t get anything to commit. Also, every time I sat in this one spot, I could hear the gobbling and watch the “strutters” coming in and out of the “honey hole”. I was just grinding it out, waiting for my turn.

I woke before my alarm on the 18th. Hoping it was only midnight, I looked at my phone, I see it’s a little before four. I’m tired. I closed my eyes, and got about 20 minutes more sleep. When I finally rolled out of bed, I was disappointed to see it was a clear morning. I was hoping to slip into the “honey hole” under a blanket of fog. I park my truck, and start the walk to the back of the woodlot. It’s clear, and warm. I think it was 61. I’m cursing that last 20 minutes of sleep as I make my way to the gas well. I hang a left here, and into the woods I go. I’m certain I know where the flock will be. I left a small stool close by prior to the season. This stool is a little taller than what you can get at the store. It’ll help me see over any ground cover that has popped up.

It’s about 5:10 as I ease down into the stool. It doesn’t take too long before its getting light behind me. But, it’s still pretty dark in the woods. I can make out what I believe is the flock right in front of me. The first bird is inside 30 yards from my spot. The woods almost immediately start to come alive. Songbirds are making their presence known. I hear what I believe is a coon hissing at the shadows. And a neighbor’s rooster announces its morning. About 5:30 a gobbler sounds off to my right. He’s pretty vocal. Still no sound from what I thought was the flock. This gobbler goes a good five minutes, just talking to himself. Finally, about 5:35, a second gobbler joins in for a moment. He’s roosted right in front of me 30-50 yards away. Mother hen also announces her presence, but she’s not too talkative.
Every time a crow calls, gobbler #1 gobbles. I think he liked to hear himself talk. (I should mention I carry small video camera with me. I’ve got it rigged up on a rod that I just stick in the ground. It’s lighter than a tripod. So, I’m recording the going’s on. Or, so I thought. About ten minutes into recording, I realize the shutter is still closed. No problem, at least I figured it out.) The flock in front of me is still on the roost. They are basically quite. Gobbler #1 on the other hand is still going at it. I’ve got the camera recording in the direction of the flock. I expect any minute, the gobbler in front of me will drop from the sky right at me, and I’m ready. I’m not doing any calling, no need to muddy the waters.

It’s quarter to six. These birds in front of me are still in the roost. I’m pretty sure gobbler #1 is on the ground, and headed for the fields. I still anticipate the gobbler in front of me to come my way once he drops out of the roost. The mosquitoes are terrible. It’s tough to keep tabs on two gobbler’s and swat skeeters while trying not to be seen. Finally, about 5:51, I catch a glimpse of gobbler #1. He’s out about 100 yards, strutting his butt off. He seems a little PO’ed no one is paying any attention to him. He’s closing the distance, coming in to my right. I shoot right handed, not a shot to be had. I still have not made a call. I’m figuring the hen in the tree is better than the one in the bush. Gobbler #1 struts and spits out at about 20 yards for about 7 minutes. Every time a crow calls, he sounds off. At this point, I don’t have a shot. I’m sitting in the wrong position, and I can’t move. The Tom is to my right, and the flock is straight out in front of me. I’m struggling to keep the camera on the bird. I’m nervous the flock knows I’m there, and that is why they are still on the roost at 5:55. I have one “bad” shot opportunity, and decide patience will pay off.

The bird continues to strut out to my right. He disappears behind a tree. I’m guessing he’s at 18 yards. I need to swing to the right to make the shot. The camera is ready. I swing my body, shotgun, and shooting stick to the right. Just then, he does what turkey do. Instead of coming back out to the right, he heads further left. Now, I’ve got to shift my body, shotgun/shooting stick, and camera all back to the left. All this without alerting the gobbler, or the flock I am there. The tree between me and the gobbler affords that opportunity. The gobbler steps out from behind the tree, I let out the worst gobble you’ll ever hear. His head pops up. I press the safety off, pull the trigger, and down drops the gobbler.

The bird was about 18#. Had a 10 inch beard. One of his spurs was 1”, and the other was 5/8.

The hero selfie.  ;D

another look at the bird.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2372 on: May 23, 2015, 03:40 PM »
Congratulations Eddie Spaghetti good looking turkey.
Steve

Offline chubs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2373 on: May 25, 2015, 10:05 AM »
good job eddie and congrats, good story also!!
if the shoe fits

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #2374 on: May 25, 2015, 07:14 PM »

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #2375 on: May 26, 2015, 06:27 AM »
Great job, thanks for taking the time to write up that fine report!  @) @)

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2376 on: May 26, 2015, 06:19 PM »
good job eddie and congrats, good story also!!
Hey Chubs, you still checking in!

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2377 on: May 26, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Great Job Eddie!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2378 on: May 27, 2015, 06:13 AM »
It's the Peak of the Week! Happy Hump Day one and All  ;D

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2379 on: May 27, 2015, 06:36 PM »
Time

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2380 on: May 27, 2015, 06:37 PM »

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2381 on: May 27, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Yes ...... Yes ...... I do have my moments!

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2382 on: May 27, 2015, 06:41 PM »
24,959 ! Who would have ever thunked it on that cold winter night when this tread was born ...... It not only started a movement ..... it started a brotherhood ....... speaking of movements I'll be back in a few  ;D

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2383 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28 PM »
24,959 ! Who would have ever thunked it on that cold winter night when this tread was born

Actually, it was a cold winters afternoon. Here in PA, it was Snowmagedded II "Return of the Polar Vortex".

I'd just finished cleaning the drive for the second time. Thought I'd see what was happening on IS. Logged in, and the first post I saw was "Kicked Off Town Lake by Police". How could I pass that one up? Then, I made "the post heard round Indiana". I wish I would have been around for the "gravel pits" post. This thread is IS history in the making.  :clap:

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2384 on: May 28, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Beware the VORTEX! BEWARE!!!! LOL!

Vortex makes ice and ice makes me happy, win win  :afro:

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2385 on: May 28, 2015, 08:25 PM »
Evening fellas!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2386 on: May 29, 2015, 06:55 AM »
Morning and TGIF! The weekend is close at hand, have a great day!  @)

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2387 on: May 29, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Morning and TGIF! The weekend is close at hand, have a great day!  @)

The weekend is here!

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2388 on: May 30, 2015, 09:38 PM »
Burp ........... Fart ........ be back later

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2389 on: May 30, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Burp ........... Fart ........ be back later

Is that your dinner talking?   :laugh:

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2390 on: May 31, 2015, 08:53 PM »
Chirp .... Chirp .... chirp

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2391 on: Jun 01, 2015, 11:25 AM »
Monday again! Rainy and chilly, mother nature is fickle....

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2392 on: Jun 01, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Monday again! Rainy and chilly, mother nature is fickle....

Yes she is. I think the temp swing between today and yesterday was 17 degrees.

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2393 on: Jun 01, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Time

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2394 on: Jun 01, 2015, 08:49 PM »
to

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac