Author Topic: So much for me being done with Marcum - FLX28 - Not impressed  (Read 1569 times)

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Took the FLX28 out with my LX5, Troller and Lowrance Elite 3x and of all units I was the least impressed with the FLX.

The ProView Ducer shows every mark as 3/4 of an inch on 0 gain in 16fow.  I just don't get the appeal, at all and the auto depth is super flaky.

It made me realize I need a graph, I'll probably swap out the Elite 3x Head for an Elite 4 GPS.  Just easier to see changes in bottom vs a flasher. 

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: So much for me being done with Marcum - FLX28 - Not impressed
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2015, 02:16 PM »
Sounds like that flx is total garbage.I will give you $200 for that piece of junk.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2015, 02:20 PM »
lol Gander will give me my $575 back sorry youngblood!

I've always been a Marcum guy, and don't like the reliability but head to head I just don't get the appeal of the FLX at all.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Your right that 3/4 inch mark can almost block out a 3 inch bait fish.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2015, 02:32 PM »
To each his own, I'm being pretty honest here.  Glad you love yours but I'll take the LX5 or my Lowrance over it everyday of the week

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2015, 02:49 PM »
I can't knock Marcum I have personally never used one.I did have a Lowrance Elite 4 just got rid of it a couple of weeks ago.I didn't like the graph at all.I know a lot of guys love them .I did the settings as other suggested had ping speed turned all the way up to me it seamed like it was in slow motion.I do however miss the all in one gps and graph aspect.You say you don't like the thick lines on the flx well I really didn't like the long marks on the Lowrance.Like you say do each his own. 

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2015, 05:08 PM »
you see the small l in the word flasher; I can get my vex to go thinner than that.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2015, 05:26 PM »
If you are getting a 3/4" mark on the lure in 16 fow it sounds like you don't have something right there. Did you have it in LP mode?

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:36 PM »
Took the FLX28 out with my LX5, Troller and Lowrance Elite 3x and of all units I was the least impressed with the FLX.

The ProView Ducer shows every mark as 3/4 of an inch on 0 gain in 16fow.  I just don't get the appeal, at all and the auto depth is super flaky.

It made me realize I need a graph, I'll probably swap out the Elite 3x Head for an Elite 4 GPS.  Just easier to see changes in bottom vs a flasher.

You are not the only one who wasn't impressed with the Flx. I'm not sure what people see in it that made them chose it over the Marcum lx6 or 7. weed mode, low power mode..lol. Useless if you ask me, all I got was clutter even when gain was at its lowest setting. 

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:41 PM »
I can't knock Marcum I have personally never used one.I did have a Lowrance Elite 4 just got rid of it a couple of weeks ago.I didn't like the graph at all.I know a lot of guys love them .I did the settings as other suggested had ping speed turned all the way up to me it seamed like it was in slow motion.I do however miss the all in one gps and graph aspect.You say you don't like the thick lines on the flx well I really didn't like the long marks on the Lowrance.Like you say do each his own.

What lowrance needs to do is add an adjustable scroll rate. It is not lag that you are seeing but a slower scroll rate on the graph. Only the HDS model seems to have the adjustable setting to make it scroll faster/ instantaneous.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Dfresh, clear your inbox ;D trying to pm you but your inbox is full

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2015, 08:36 PM »
Evo my annual membership for selling expired I just reupped.  Should be open soon.  I'll pm you my number

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2015, 12:16 PM »
I love my Vexilar FLX-28. Upgraded from an old FL-8 with a very dim screen. Those Vexilar units will not die.

It does sound like either the unit you have is wonky or you have something set wrong. The auto mode makes it pretty hard to get a setting wrong though.

It is amazing the variety of top end gear that companies make for our tiny slice of the fishing market.

Years ago it would have been a Vex or a rigged up open water unit.

Amazing that there are so many choices.

At my local Fleet Farm they have a case with over a dozen units for sale to ice anglers.

I am a fan of the Vexilar units but I will not talk ill of the other brands. I have never used them. I have seen them in use. I just know that the Vex units have always worked for me.

It is a bit different than a rod and real or a lure. Hard to shell out $500 or more just to try them out and find you don't like them.

Good Luck.

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2015, 08:41 PM »
I can't help but wonder if vex is putting out some bad units.  I ran my 28 for nearly 20 hours this weekend in water ranging from 6-30'.  It ran flawless as long as it was set right.  The only problem I can see is trying to run it at full power in shallow water.  I was in 10 FOW in low power/weed mode, and had to have the gain turned up to 4 to see my jig the way I like it.  Drilled a hole 3' to both sides of the transducer, turned my gain up to 6,  and could pick up my jig once it fell 3 to 4 feet below the ice, minimal clutter.  In 30 FOW it performed flawless in Split screen with the gain at around 2. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.