The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: K-Drill with Tanaka 270 Powerhead?  (Read 4028 times)

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
K-Drill with Tanaka 270 Powerhead?
« on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Anyone use this combination?  what kind of adapter do you need?  just curious, thanks! :)
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: K-Drill with Tanaka 270 Powerhead?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:13 AM »
Just the Drill Chuck that goes with the Tanaka. For the price a Mora set up is a lot cheaper and will cut just as good.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:25 AM »
The Clam plate adapter that is sold with the K drill will pair up with the Nils adapter by drilling out the 2 holes to just under 1/2".  Worked well on mine no wobble.  If I remember right this adapter combination put total length to the bottom of the motor around 40" which is perfect to me.    As far as the K Drill matched with the Tanaka I'm very impressed so far.  While drilling its seems like there is less torque in the handles along with higher rpms achieved and it breaks through without any hint of binding.  Its a little slower than the Nils but holds up way better on dirty ice.  I'm actually thinking about selling my Nils flighting with the handle since I don't see myself going back to it.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:27 AM »
The Clam plate adapter that is sold with the K drill will pair up with the Nils adapter by drilling out the 2 holes to just under 1/2".  Worked well on mine no wobble.  If I remember right this adapter combination put total length to the bottom of the motor around 40" which is perfect to me.    As far as the K Drill matched with the Tanaka I'm very impressed so far.  While drilling its seems like there is less torque in the handles along with higher rpms achieved and it breaks through without any hint of binding.  Its a little slower than the Nils but holds up way better on dirty ice.  I'm actually thinking about selling my Nils flighting with the handle since I don't see myself going back to it.
6" or 8" K drill?

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Good info.
Fishin red lines

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:36 AM »
6" or 8" K drill?

8".  I should also mention that this cut close to 3lbs off my over all weight which is always a plus.  19lbs with a full tank of gas.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Gotta love it. Lightest gas setup available is with a tanaka from what I've found. 19lbs is crazy light. If you could have a 19lb gas auger i personally do not see any reason to go the whole battery powered route. Of course this is just my opinion and not meant to start some argument like some tend to make about their battery powered setup. thanks for sharing the k drill info.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2015, 05:57 PM »
Gotta love it. Lightest gas setup available is with a tanaka from what I've found. 19lbs is crazy light. If you could have a 19lb gas auger i personally do not see any reason to go the whole battery powered route. Of course this is just my opinion and not meant to start some argument like some tend to make about their battery powered setup. thanks for sharing the k drill info.

My tanaka is sitting on the shelf now that I switched over to a drill with the clam plate, the setup is noticeably lighter than the gasser.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2015, 06:41 PM »

Its not as much about the weight as how many holes people drill. Twice this year I've had days where I used over a tank of gas, that's WELL over 100 holes. Had several last year also. And after 1/2 hour of drilling my group is on fish while everyone else isn't catching a thing. Drilling pays off around here. I cannot imagine being stuck with 30-40 holes, or even 60-80. I know a lot of places that you can go out and drill a handful of holes and catch fish, and I'm sure a lot of people only fish areas like that. I personally like to move around and find new areas, and I think an electric would hinder me and anyone else who does the same. I guess a drill and 10 or 12 batteries would work alright, but who has time to charge 12 batteries after a day of fishing?

Some days I drill 1 hole, some days I drill 100+. That's why I bought a gas auger. I must have gotten a gem because mine doesn't leak fumes or gas at all. Left it laying gas cap down in an SUV over a weekend and there was no fumes or leaked gas. Yeah, its heavy, but it gets the job done. A tanaka would be an even better upgrade. Probably don't want to put a 19# gas auger in my hands, I'll have the whole lake full of holes.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2015, 04:36 PM »
Its not as much about the weight as how many holes people drill. Twice this year I've had days where I used over a tank of gas, that's WELL over 100 holes. Had several last year also. And after 1/2 hour of drilling my group is on fish while everyone else isn't catching a thing. Drilling pays off around here. I cannot imagine being stuck with 30-40 holes, or even 60-80. I know a lot of places that you can go out and drill a handful of holes and catch fish, and I'm sure a lot of people only fish areas like that. I personally like to move around and find new areas, and I think an electric would hinder me and anyone else who does the same. I guess a drill and 10 or 12 batteries would work alright, but who has time to charge 12 batteries after a day of fishing?

Some days I drill 1 hole, some days I drill 100+. That's why I bought a gas auger. I must have gotten a gem because mine doesn't leak fumes or gas at all. Left it laying gas cap down in an SUV over a weekend and there was no fumes or leaked gas. Yeah, its heavy, but it gets the job done. A tanaka would be an even better upgrade. Probably don't want to put a 19# gas auger in my hands, I'll have the whole lake full of holes.
:bow: :bow:

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2015, 01:28 PM »

Offline BigDdoney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is best!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2015, 01:35 PM »
Nice video, little shallow where you are fishing?

Offline .204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2015, 01:41 PM »
No its a livestock pond thats actually fairly deep.  Have been getting pm's from a few guys wondering if I had any video of the combo.  Its not very glamorous but its the only video I've taken.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.