Author Topic: help fishing lake shabbona ???  (Read 1273 times)

Offline ryan04360

• IceShanty Rookie
help fishing lake shabbona ???
« on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:30 AM »
 Ok guys I fished lake shabbona last Wednesday From like 10am - 4pm with not even one bite I know that the crappie are there just dont know where we were fishing in the deep trees in 18'-26 foot of water seen lots of shad on the camera and a few drum but no crappie i was just wondering if someone could give me some pointers for the next time I make the trip

Offline lindenborn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: help fishing lake shabbona ???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:59 PM »
Was the ice still good?  Ill head up there and give you a report    I like the northwest corner  with my vexilar and maggots on frosty jigging spoons.

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:41 PM »
i saw on other boards that they weren't as deep as you would think.  some guys were doing OK on the cribs in less than 15 feet.  I don't know from personal experience just rehashing what was posted recently.

your report says you saw drum and shad but did you see any crappie on the camera??? 
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:51 PM »
I'll be there tomorrow. I herd that they were getting crappie in the trees with small jigs tipped with spikes. Also they been getting catfish on red worms.

Offline ryan04360

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:29 PM »
yeah the only fish i seen were shad and a few drum the ice was around 6"-10" and yeah that is what I thought i was too deep

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2015, 03:35 PM »
This lake has been hit VERY VERY hard the last 2 years. Thousands of crappie have been taken and only smaller being caught. There are still a few better out there but not many. When the owner of the bait shop Clint tells you to stay home or fish somewhere else its bad-its bad... A lot of my friends fish this lake year round and are done with it for a year or 2 :'(
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Lindonborn is correct in both accounts.  Fished that for years when I lived in Illinois and found the NW corner just before the mouth this time of year the best.  Crappies are starting to stage this time of year down there before the mouths preparing for the water to turn and ice out.  Even though you guys are expecting a blast of winter again, stay away from those deep water tree tops that are in many areas of the lake.  Good luck and tight lines to ya.

Offline professor29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:43 AM »
Fish have been sluggish...water still has a little color...not as clear as last year...they are there..just need to work at it...

Offline Bj1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:58 AM »
With temps in the 30's tomorrow it should be backed up to casey's gas station....Shotgun start and run... fish 10 minutes and no fish fire up 10 inch power auger and  drill 10 more holes...repeat in 10 minutes...now times that according to the crowd....The lake is in good shape....right!!!!! It's Illinois no lake is in "good shape"...

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Tomorrow is also the 2nd and last night fishing at Shab this year lake open till 930 out of the park by 10pm. It will be a ZOO with warmer temps and the night fishing.  I'm headed north to Poo Poo Bay

Offline Bj1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2015, 12:29 PM »
Medics should be on call then with that many people and holes being drilled now add in night fishing...OMG...Better have a good light or good crutches...should be a real comic act in there...LOL...

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2015, 01:34 PM »
another good reason to fish somewhere else :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.