Author Topic: Chasing Lakers Feb 7th?  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Chasing Lakers Feb 7th?
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:05 PM »
I have some new laker gear on the way, and I can't wait to try it out.  I'm thinking to chase some lakers Saturday the 7th, and wondered if anyone wants to meet up. 

I was thinking GM, but last week I only caught eater-sized fish out of there.  Or possibly the Fork, since it seems like its producing well lately. Or Granby could work, but I don't have a snow machine.  If people with sleds or ATVs want to meet up there, might be a fun gathering too.  I did the hike of death up the Sunset boat ramp last year - not interested to do that on foot again.   ::)

I'd be good with any plans - just might be fun to get some Ice Shanty guys together to chase some lakers.  And maybe get a big one or two.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Chasing Lakers Feb 7th?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:20 PM »
I might hit chambers, but I'd consider west if the I-70 weather looks ok.  I haven't caught a laker in a few years and I have some recently caught suckers in the freezer.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:01 AM »
I'd love to go, but the 7th is free day at the dump, and my wife has already penciled me in to do the hauling (at least she's not "dumping" me).  Have a great time.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:11 AM »
I will be in New York watching a couple of my Daughters Hockey games. Maybe the next weekend for Valentines Day  ;D

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:30 AM »
I was catching open water eyes on Wednesday, so if the Metro doesnt refreeze, I may be done with ice fishing this year! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:55 AM »
I was catching open water eyes on Wednesday, so if the Metro doesnt refreeze, I may be done with ice fishing this year! ;D
Wow,I've heard most everything now. With all those lakes within 2 hours of Denver your going to give up because the Metro is done? Those other Lakes are the one thing I miss about living over there. Those and the Flee Market.LOL
<===Lefty===

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:00 AM »
I might hit chambers, but I'd consider west if the I-70 weather looks ok.  I haven't caught a laker in a few years and I have some recently caught suckers in the freezer.
Sounds good Shaun --- we can keep an eye on the weather/traffic conditions next week.

Thanks for the other replies, guys --- maybe we'll have another chance to meet up on the ice this season...or if we decide to be more like Slayer, maybe we'll have an open-water fish fry in the metro area.   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:03 AM »
I've already been thinking about Granby on the 7th. I have a couple of motorized toys I could bring along.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:10 AM »
I've already been thinking about Granby on the 7th. I have a couple of motorized toys I could bring along.

Sweet, Vex-Um --- keep us posted if you want to meet up.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:13 AM »
Wow,I've heard most everything now. With all those lakes within 2 hours of Denver your going to give up because the Metro is done? Those other Lakes are the one thing I miss about living over there. Those and the Flee Market.LOL

But they are just trout lakes. I can hammer big trout when its warm out!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Don't know yet about the 7th, went up to Granby last week, Thursday before the 3 lakes torney, and missed my one and only hit.  The 8th is out for sure Wife' and 2 daughters b-days that day.  Will keep it in mind though. 

Edit:  Well Crap, just looked at forecast for the 7th >:( 50% for rain/snow, high 27.
Bud

Offline PhosphorescentPheasant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Bigassbassman--with the water high at Granby the hike from road to water is much easier this year.

Offline tippin tubes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Adding to the Sunset walk.....
 you want to fish in no more than 20 feet of water you will b walking a mile one way minimum......
Walked both sunset and chambers many times, sunsets way easier. Never walked with snow shoes on Granby, wear umm 1/2 the time at chambers. Granby is like fishing "the city park" compared to chambers. It's in the wilderness.....

Offline superp13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2015, 03:25 AM »
I am in for fishing the 7th.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2015, 03:10 PM »
I am in for fishing the 7th.
Great, Powers - we'll make a final call on time/location next week.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Going to try and make it too.  However the only big lake trout I've ever caught were at Grand Lake and easy walking.  Didn't do well at GM a week ago but got there too late in the day.  I've never been to the Fork and seems its hot now for eaters.  Don't know if they do a pm feed there as well as a morning.

If the crew goes to Granby, I've done well on both sides of the lake for eaters but it seems the big guys hang far from walking distance such as the breaks around Deer Island.  Cell coverage is off and on up at Granby but there might be some merit of splitting the group and checking in by phone to increase the odds.  If you decide to head there, I can check in from Grand Lake...just a thought assuming I can get away.  I've done well at Chambers for macks too but they have their own "hill of death" if you don't have a machine.

No matter where we go, it should be fun.  ::)

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Think a few of us are down for WF, GM, or G.  Never caught a laker bigger than 21".  Let's go hunting!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Sounds great, guys --- now we just need to decide where/when to meet.  I'm leaning towards WF to hopefully find some good steady action, even if it's eaters.
But I'd also fish Granby if there was enough interest from others.  What do you guys think?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Still thinking about it, but probably won't decide until Friday (flying back from LA).  Never fished GM but grand lake sounds interesting.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Have an idea Nate.  Have everyone who says they can go, rate their three best choices 1 through 3. Their favorite gets 3 points.  Second choice gets 2 points and last choice gets 1 point.  Then add up the points with the highest being the destination.

My first pick is Granby as there are eaters and big fish (3 points);
My second choice is Grand lake for big macks (2 points);
And my third choice is WF as it is hot right now for eaters and I never have been there (1 point)

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Update???

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2015, 12:56 PM »
I realize this is ice fishing but Man, 70f and open water make this a no-brainer for me! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Update???

I'm still going!!  If you're planning to meet up, Mountain Maggot had a good idea to rank your top picks, so we can choose where to go.

My picks:
1)WF
2)Granby
3)GM
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2015, 01:30 PM »
I realize this is ice fishing but Man, 70f and open water make this a no-brainer for me! ;D
lol Slayer - I'll get on the open water eyes soon enough. Just can't pass up thick, good ice and the chance to use my new laker gear.   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Weather forecast for the weekend at Granby, Parshall and Kremmling is calling for the low 40s and rain.  Plan accordingly.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Weather forecast for the weekend at Granby, Parshall and Kremmling is calling for the low 40s and rain.  Plan accordingly.
That precipitation is Sunday --- all the forecasts I've seen show Saturday as partly sunny, in the 40s.  Sounds perfect to me!

Update on voting:
Granby = 5 pts
WF = 4 pts
Grand Lake = 2 pts
GM = 1 pt
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline superp13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:59 PM »
My vote is for Williams Fork.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2015, 09:13 PM »
looks like a tie now LOL
Bud

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Well, superp13's vote for WF puts it at the top of the list --- for me, that sounds like a good idea, so that's my plan.  I've never fished it, and I've been wanting to give it a try.

Anyone who wants to meet up there, let us know on this post, or send me a PM.  And if you end up fishing Granby or other place instead, let us know how you're doing on Saturday.  We could always meet up later in the afternoon if there's a hot bite somewhere.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:05 PM »
I was going to opt for Williams Fork, for the 7th, but that got trumped. by you know who !  Haven't fished it either, now hoping, its still a go for the 28th.
Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.