Author Topic: I'm looking to buy a vexilar  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Ice hole77

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm looking to buy a vexilar
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:13 PM »
There are so many models idk what to get.im new to ice fishing and could use some advise before purchasing one

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I'm looking to buy a vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Buy a Marcum LX-7

I've had Vex's and won't be buying another after getting my Marcum.  But others may disagree, it's all about what you personally like I suppose.
You never know how strong you are until strong is the only option you have.

Offline Ice hole77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:27 PM »
I'm new to ice fishing only been a few places. If like to be able to target deep water lakers as well as eyes and perch. Just not sure on brand and clueless on a model to pick. I don't wanna just buy the cheapest I can find and have it be not what I need. Thanks

Offline Sk8man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:31 PM »
Vexilar flashers are "bullet proof" make sure you get one with a ZOOM function....it is essential e.g. FL-20

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:33 PM »
X2, FL-20 is a great machine. Zoom features are great and high and low power modes are handy too.

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Vexilars are absolute bullet proof. IMHO

I would suggest the FL18 or FL20. Both rock solid and will do what you are looking to do. I have had 4 different Vexilars and been around at least  25+ other Vexilars that buddies and fishing aquaintenences have had and not one single issue. Google problems with Vexilars and other brands and you will see the difference IMHO. Both the above models have the zoom function and work flawlessly. I have not had any experience with the new FLX28.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:37 PM »
X3, and X10
Bud

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:37 PM »
As these guys said Vexilar is tough to beat imop...I have had an FL-18 for years with the dual beam transducer and added the digital depth and battery accessory and it's been a great unit. I am sure the Marcum's are good as well...good luck.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Well Done is Better than Well Said"(Ben Franklin)
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:54 PM »
My buddy got used to using my FL20 last year on Erie. I told him he had to get his own this year. He convinced himself that a Marcum was better, and cheaper. Now he is whining about his purchase.
 I notice that his Marcum seems to  produce  alot of interference that messes with our signals.  I make him move away from me.  There is only one way to have a VEX  and that is to buy one.   My two cents

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:01 PM »
Sexy Vexy! FL20 & love this machine. My buddy purchased the 18 and he is very happy as well. I will turn around to go home and get it if I forget to bring it!
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:03 PM »
Vexilars are absolute bullet proff. IMHO

I would suggest the FL18 or FL20. Both rock solid and will do what you are looking to do. I have had 4 different Vexilars and been around at least  25+ other Vexilars that buddies and fishing aquaintenences have had and not one single issue. Google problems with Vexilars and other brands and you will see the difference IMHO. Both the above models have the zoom function and work flawlessly. I have not had any experience with the new FLX28.

I agree bullet proof and also have not used flx-28.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:03 PM »
Fl-18 is one hell of a unit and like these guys said,they are bulletproof!!! Can't go wrong
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:08 PM »
That's what my buddy bought.  You just have to buy one to find out. Vex has been in the flasher business for over 4 decades . Dittos on driving back to get my flasher if I forget it.  Its just not the same without it.  How did I ever live without it I do not know...

Offline Ice hole77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:18 PM »
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the info. It seems to be around the same price everywhere has anyone found a better deal anywhere or know of any sales

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:23 PM »
Vex sometimes makes special offers for reconditioned units. They sell them at a reduced cost and give them extra time on waranty I believe. This is how I bought mine 6 years ago I think. Same battery to this day also.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:29 PM »
Not sure where your located at but mills fleet farm sometimes has the fl-18 for 374.99
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:49 PM »
I use a fl 20 vex. it is the best thing iv'e ever used. I can see 3-4 perch separated within 1 foot! I also use it for walleye. no problems!
I toad a soo!

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:15 PM »
I got a show down, I like how easy it is to read.
Come on fish!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:34 PM »
I just upgraded from a Vexilar FL-8 to a FLx-28.

I figured I couldn't justify the expense until the FL-8 gave up the ghost. I had many years and miles on the FL-8 before I came to the conclusion that it was never going to die. I figured I got my moneys worth.

Now I have the FL-8 for a backup.

The FLx-28 is an incredible tool.

I am sold on Vexilar for life.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:42 PM »
Fl-20!!!  Bottom lock works great.   Have not changed the settings since the day i bought it!!!! Works all day,  Everyday!!!!    This is my 2nd Vexilar  in 34 years.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:21 AM »
would be good to get out and see them in action. so you can see if the lines are small enough for separation. some have big blobs for lines and some have very fine lines.

if you can get on ice, walk up to some fisher persons and ask if they mind showing you what they use.
words are helpful, but seeing is best. try a few lakes, tell them what you are doing.

i started with a hummnibird ice-55 the top of the line. bird, at that time. was happy for about 5 years with it until the motor fried. spinning motors are not the way to go and are noisy and bother the eye balls.

digital sonars are the way to go, but are not bullet proof. some last a long time and others not so much. so it depends on what you want, but you need to see them in action. the lines are so fine and not a huge blob. the lines are down to 1/2" separation on digital units now.
i moved on to digital sonars this year. the company let me down on longevity and i am bothered as to how short a life/time i had with it before it quit. the manufacturer is fixing it, but it shouldn't have needed a shop for years. so i will not say to buy that product. humminbird would not take care of my unit while under warranty, so i will not suggest them either.

i guess at this point i would say look into lowrance, unless you think you will like spinning motor technology.

would be great if there was a webpage showing each display of all of the units for ice fishing and all looking at the same thing at the same time.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Please add your location to your profile.

Based on your Subject heading ...you have chosen your "brand" ...now model choice ...you need to ask/answer yourself some questions...How much do you have to spend?...How deep are you fishing? What species ?  I chose the FL18 some 10 yrs ago ...why ? at the time it was the "it girl" ...had low power for shallow less that 15 ft of water....had 6 foot zoom mode . ...for fishing the bottom.... great features for my panfish fishing.   ..it has served me well and is quite bullet proof .. you will have to search for a deal the prices hardly fluctuate on the Vexilars ...rule of thumb  20 % off MSRP is a deal... 25 % off MSRP is a steal ...don't forget free shipping and no tax add up to some savings ....check all the Farm n fleets ....Mills...Blains ....L & M ...and every other store/retailer you can search ...sign up for Emails ...youll save some discount research time ...good luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VORK23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:06 AM »
If you are going to buy a Vexilar go on there website and check out the reconditioned units. I just looked at the website and you can get a fl-20 for 399 and it still comes with the same warranty as a new one.

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:58 AM »
If you want to go to their website and check on the reconditioned unit pretty good pricing. I bought a reconditioned FL 20 with the tribeam going on three years now with no problems. Definitely go with the zoom feature.
Bob P.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Decide on the vex unit you want and pay the price they ask for it. You wont regret it as it will last a very long time. They're very reliable units and when you decide to upgrade, if you ever do, they hold their resale value. You can sell it for almost as much as you paid for it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.